Author Topic: Pro-Maintenance  (Read 1471 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Pro-Maintenance
« on: January 14, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »
Being a member on a number of scooter and MC forums, as well as groups on Facebook, I’ve noticed something that never occurred to me before. Scooter riders seems to post more about maintenance updates, problems and solutions than I see MC riders do. Is this because scooter riders are more active on their bike’s maintenance, scooters need more maintenance, or it’s not a subject of concern for MC riders?

Maybe I’m wrong.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Pro-Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 05:26:19 PM »
It might be my misconception  that scooter riders are much, much older than motorcycle riders, as a group.
We all like to ride on two wheels......other than that I  think we are very different types of people. Perhaps we have become a scooter rider type...after a younger period of motorcycle  riding.
I am positive,  after reading the typical old guy responses, and considering the cost of a Burgman, that Burgman forum participants  ( and owners) are darn near ancient!
Bike owners ride the snot out of them...a few times a month....until something snaps.
 Scooter guys ride more often...and sweat the small stuff.
I don't  know. Old guys own scooters. Old guys act and think differently  than not-old guys. 50cc'ers are a different ball of fish. (DUI'ers, $$ constraints, etc.....but good guys most of 'em...except  for those that take advantage of our ridiculously lax laws & drive drunk on the roads with our families)
Stig

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:30:12 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:27:34 PM »
"Can't fix lazy!"

Considering the abundance of online service manuals and YouTube videos, there is a significant representation of scooter slackers on the forums . . as evidenced by the spark plug location queries.  So many appear to believe that the YEARS of previous postings, prior to their interest, could not possibly be relevant.

Wolf and Bintelli have excellent 50cc maintenance videos.  Also impressed by the CSC Motorcycle blog.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 06:38:10 PM »
 I believe scooter riders are generally a practical bunch. We are not primarily concerned about being the fastest, or the coolest or whatever. We like enjoyment. We like functionality. We like adventure. We like to challenge ourselves and learn new things. We enjoy the pride we feel in knowing we are riding vehicles that we have put a part of ourselves in. And of course being practical, we love to save money.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:03:04 PM »
Have you considered this? The two largest segments of motorcyclist, in the U.S. are either, sport bike riders or Harley riders. The sport bike riders trash their bikes before they need scheduled maintenance, and all the Harley riders need is baling wire, zip ties and a big hammer for most of their maintenance. So that just leaves us more sensible folks, who have gotten over all the foolishness of our younger days, and have learned to enjoy life on two wheels in a more reasonable manner.  :'(

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:12:12 PM »
Makes sense. I just recently turned 50, but I find it hard to yet consider myself one of the old guys. Young at heart at least.

- Wolf

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:30:13 PM »
Wolf,  you ain't old, you just got smart faster than some of us "old guys"

Mac, aka "ole two wheels"
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »
Ha! Thanks, Mac. Crap -- time to take my Geritol!

- Wolf

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:29:45 AM »
I'm Lazy, look old but am not yet 40, like to go fast and look the coolest doing it lol heance the Club name being Making Slow Look Fast Carolina Scooter Club......with that being said I think it's because most motorcycles require alot less maintenance and upkeep than our twist and go fun slugs. Myself I love working on my scoot but I'm also a yr round daily rider and get withdrawals when it snows here in Charlotte. Some of us especially those in the circles on Facebook and other forums I am in that love to mod and push the limits and just expect to have more maintenance on a $2400 2 stroke scooter doing 60mph daily than a $10K+ motorcycle that is rode 100 days or less a yr. That being said cept for the riders first and cagers when have to group of motorcyclists most probably don't even know how to wrench on their stuff and I have seen alot of people who would rather throw money at a problem then fix it themselves.
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:12:13 AM »
Scooters are a lot easier to maintain than a  motorcycle, simpler tools, no diagnostic software required, no ignition timing, and on and on.  They're ideal for anyone who likes to do his/her own maintenance since they're designed from the start as DIY machines.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()