Author Topic: Texas Winter Riding  (Read 4685 times)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Winter Riding
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 04:47:32 AM »
Sorry you did not get the desired results. If, indeed you put a weed wacker fuel filter on, then it more than likely isn't getting enough fuel. They are too small and should not have even fit the fuel hose. The inlet and outlet nipples are only about half the size of the oem filter for that bike. If the old filter doesn't get it right you might want to make sure the mounting bolts are tight. Did a new carb. to manifold gasket come with it? Make sure any and all vacuum lines to the carb. and/or intake are on. If its a cable operated choke, make sure it's operating correctly. If it's electric, make sure the plug to it is connected..  I'll bet the old filter will fix it. I hope so. How many cc is the B&W? Good luck. Keep me posted.

<Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 01:44:04 AM »
Re-installed old filter and no change as it bogs down when accelerating. No problem starting though. Auto choke doesn't seem to be working either as Ron's are not raised when cold. Will remove seat pan again and re-check all hose and electrical cinnections at carb. I may have hooked something up incorrectly. Haven't looked at air filter yet either.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 02:26:43 AM »
Are you sure the carb. in the box was really new Dan. Sounds like it could be a clogged or dirty high speed jet Starts good and idles good low speed jet, bogs when accelerating, high speed jet. Who knows, you may just have to play with it awhile. If it has any external adjustments screws, try warming it up on the center stand and then turn the screw in until it almost dies and then return it to when it runs the smoothest. If you have two adjusters, the one nearest the intake manifold will be air  and the other would be your fuel metering needle valve. It's hard to figure out your problem without being there. You'll get it and learn some things while doing it. Good luck.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »
Mac, the carb looked brand new with a factory seal over open ports. The rubber boot that attaches to the rear of the carb that attaches to the air box has a very poor/sloppy fit as I noticed when removing old carb it also had a poor fit. I doubt though that this would affect the carb, only allow some air to bypass the filter?? The auto choke does not engage (installed brand new one on new carb) as it does not raise the rpm when cold. The old carb auto choke was just the opposite as it picked up the rpm too high and spun the rear wheel very fast. Will re-check all connections again and see if I can improve the fit of the carb to air box boot. I'm wondering if I have some electrical connections wrong. Originally took a pic with my camera to re-fresh myself on what went where but I didn't screen the pics enough and therefore can't really see much. One thing for sure; I'm getting more intimate with my Kymco now.  8)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »
Did your new carb. have any adjustment screws? They should be brass. Air leakage around the front of the carb. would not cause the problem, however leakage where it mates with the intake, on the motor, would. There needs to be a good gasket there and it needs to be tight. Can  you see gas in the fuel filter? Its possible that you have trash in the tank and/or fuel petcock. Might want to drop the petcock out and check the screens on the fuel pick-up pipes that extend up into the tank. Just some ideas. Your relationship with your Kymco will grow as time goes by. Good that you have the Wing for a back up.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
Good fit on carb where connecting to engine and fuel in filter. Raining like cats and dogs here but very mild (67). Don't have a shop/garage as bikes are stored under a Bike Barn. As soon as this rain breaks I'll take another shot at it. Maybe get another set of eyes on it too as my son is a pretty good wrench. Thanks Mac for all your tips.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 10:48:27 PM »
I left home  today,at 2p.m.. Sunny and 70 degres. Rode about 20 miles to visit a sick friend. When I left for home, it was cloudy and started too rain. The further I went, the harder it rained. First big rain I had ridden the DT in. That big Givi wind screen worked well. I had a rain suit top on and the only thing that got wet was cuff of my jeans and that was because I had my feet on the highway pegs. Much more comfortable but no weather protection.. Tires gripped well except for the white lines where I turned at an intersection. I did feel a slight wiggle as I crossed them. Bottom line is I can get there in a storm if I have to.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 10:12:24 PM »
The last time I rode in the rain Mac it was a few months back and it was a gulley washer. I got soaked as I was too close to home to suit up with rain gear. Mesh riding jackets without the liner are not the best for rain. As I entered the top of my driveway which has a steep hill down to my house was very slick as it's clay and iron ore. Nearly dropped the Silverwing as it wanted to slide out from under me. Got my foot down and caught it motocross style and stayed off the brakes. I've yet to see rain yet with my Kymco and doubt anyone else had either as it so clean, even under the Tupperware. Yep, can't wait to get it out and get it real wet. Maybe even slip-n-slide on the red mud on our drive way.

Dawsman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 02:46:29 AM »
Hey Dan. Carb was definitely new - bought it myself.. Sounds to me like your getting like too much air. Tighten the crap out of the manifold screw and the air filter boot screw. auto choke shouldn't necessarily engage in warmer weather. fuel filter is fine. my 2 c. good luck.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
Hey Dan. Carb was definitely new - bought it myself.. Sounds to me like your getting like too much air. Tighten the crap out of the manifold screw and the air filter boot screw. auto choke shouldn't necessarily engage in warmer weather. fuel filter is fine. my 2 c. good luck.

OK will do as soon as this darn rain quits. Wonder if this also may be a fuel pump issue?

Dawsman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 08:46:14 PM »
I just did a major fuel system repair to my wife's 06 GV 250 - same motor, slightly smaller carb. I did the filter, pump and carb. Just my opinion here but it probably isn't the fuel filter - as I replaced mine with a similar basic universal filter from the auto parts store and it works fine. If you notice, while its idling, the fuel filter is only about half full of gas - meaning its never completely full or starving for fuel. It probably isn't the fuel pump as well. When mine died (fuel pump) it would supply enough gas to start and idle for a few seconds, then it would die shortly after that. Just pull the fuel line off the carb and try and start it - fuel should flow out easily. (be careful when you do this as fuel spilling on a hot exhaust is BAD...From what you've said - yours will start and idle fine until you give it gas, then it falls on its face so to speak.. The old carb didn't do this. so if you eliminate the new carb as being bad  - since its NOS - it has to be the installation. My Honda ruckus did the same thing... I replaced the carb, didn't tighten the air boot screw super tight and it did the same thing as yours... started up but died instantly when given any gas. Too much air coming in kills it instantly. You seriously have to tighten those two screws tighter than you would think - to make sure you have a good seal. You're almost there bud.   

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 06:31:02 AM »
Was this one resolved ?
redk

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 12:50:34 PM »
Was this one resolved ?
redk

Yes, replaced air box. Runs like a scalded cat.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()