Author Topic: New DIY's anyone ??  (Read 2991 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
New DIY's anyone ??
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:10:01 AM »
Winter has firmly set in for us northern North Americans & the result is that many of us have been snowed/iced off the roads.
So, now that I am grounded, and in spite of the fact that I am a big advocate of the "If it ain't broke don't FoolWidIt" school of mechanics - I find myself staring at my scooter... & into my scooter tools & parts drawers....and wondering.

Does anyone have suggestions for stuff I could be servicing on my Suzuki or LIKE200i ?
Anyone need advice, how-to videos or photos, of things that might need servicing on your scooters? We can post your requests and get help from members here.**

Today it is about 5 degrees Fahrenheit in my garage (honest 0 F. & calm outside) so I did not play much with plastic panels or those nasty panel pins. And I resisted the temptation to see how the Kymco, Suzuki and Honda (EFI's all) start in these temps. Nothing but wear to be gained.

But when it warms a bit I can set about fooling with things.....

Stig
**I continue to  wonder about the guy who was having so much trouble setting his valve lash a year or two ago. I still think he started the procedure on the wrong rotation of the engine.

The time I left the paper towels under the valve adjustment.
Burned up the paper without setting fire to my scooter several miles later.

That big golden tree caught my eye ...

The LIKE in the fog...
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: New DIY's anyone ??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »
Change the brake fluid on the Like, inspect the pads and seals.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 02:56:37 AM »
First, Install a heater in the garage.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »
Attach a snow plow blade to the front of your scooter. That should give you some entertainment.  ;)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »
Change the brake fluid on the Like, inspect the pads and seals.
Good tips, all....but changed out the brake fluid last summer, and I  can see pads with much life remaining. Lubed the pins when doing fluid renewal.
Working up resolve to pull exhaust for heat paint touch-ups underneath,  and remove rear wheel to take to shop for a new Michelin.
Some days the fear of screwing things up prevents me....on better days I  just plow ahead and overcome the problems I encounter.  Maybe that is age related. Maybe not. Might be an issue that afflicts a few of us - this intermittent  lack of automotive confidence, disguised as "good judgement"?
Stig
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:52:32 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
Perhaps you're on to something Tom; Scooter Mechanical Timidity. This syndrome strikes at the core of many a scooter owner who'd like to change their own oil, adjust their valves and install new farkles. Have to admit I'm one of those too and approach most mechanical sessions worried I'm going to mess something up or perhaps feel intimidated to try something new I haven't tackled before. Perhaps those more mechanically inclined can coach us on this nemesis and encourage us in how to transcend our Scooter Mechanical Timidity.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:39:20 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Tseg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 04:01:58 AM »
Perhaps you're on to something Tom; Scooter Mechanical Timidity. This syndrome strikes at the core of many a scooter owner who'd like to change their own oil, adjust their valves and install new farkles. Have to admit I'm one of those too and approach most mechanical sessions worried I'm going to mess something up or perhaps feel intimidated to try something new I haven't tackled before. Perhaps those more mechanically inclined can coach us on this nemesis and encourage us in how to transcend our Scooter Mechanical Timidity.

I'm not intimidated by the maintenance thing, including valve adjustments... just bought blade thickness gauge... to bring things back to 'like new' spec.  I do have concerns about 'mods' to 'improve' performance.  During my relatively long life my experience and observations with 'performance' mods on a variety of things from mechanical equipment to computers is that invariably the modded item that delivers on its promise ends up causing negative unintended consequences elsewhere.  The company I work for makes automotive performance related parts (better quality than OEM, not different design or size) and the myths, folk lure and outdated knowledge that is downright incorrect that permeates forums on the very narrow select piece of engineering I do have thorough technical knowledge of proven in labs and assessed by PhDs is downright scary.  As a result, as intriguing as scooter performance mods sound, it is definitely not a place I'll be going with my in-warranty scooter, and likely not even past warranty.  I think Kymco engineers know what they are doing, and if "off the shelf" technology would improve performance without detriment, they'd be using that technology in the original build. 

Now tinkering for hobby's sake is a whole different subject.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »
Good tip on leaving well enough alone on our bikes. I shudder when I see someone selling a GoPed motorized skate board scooter that's modded out and can do 45mph. I'll be leaving my BW stock and just accept that it's not designed to run as fast as my SW.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 05:45:37 PM »
"Mechanical timidity" is an excellent term! I have experienced it and I am sure everyone has regardless of experience. I think my Dad was the one that taught me! He was, however, very competent in just about anything he tackled including porting a Yamaha 80 he was racing in the 60s. He would Dremel just a bit here and there, put it together, run it, then do it over until he was satisfied then go race it for final proof. Whew! All of you know what would happen if he went too far with the Dremel! Other things he would procrastinate for the longest times. He would wait until he was ready and not before. Seems to make some real sense! He was also a craftsman. He would not do anything halfway. Projects should be carefully chosen, properly planned and carefully executed. Routine maintenance needs to be done carefully each time, no exceptions. That brings into question businesses like "Jiffy Lube" who seem to be in such a rush that they are prone to stripping bolts and holes, putting oil filters on way too tight or forgetting to put the new oil back in. Brings also into question any "repair shop" that does things halfway or not at all but charges for the service. This is why WE dote on our rides. Our machines were made correctly and we try to do whatever as good or better than Kaoshiung. I think we are a bit careful about what we do to our rigs, how we do it and when. I see that as more professional than procrastinate. I think it is a more long-term relationship we have. The LAST thing we want is to make some change that either does not work or works worse than before. That's where a lot of the "mods" result. That's why some of the scoots are sold to get rid of the "mod problem" that cannot be restored.

I recall the days of the "hot rod" and the magazines, one with that name. All us "highschoolers" would drool over the pictures of sometimes really neat creations and slick use of ordinary stuff to make a car run better. Most of the real hot rodders did their own work and did it very carefully. They made engines like they should have been originally that were stronger and more powerful. They did wiring and plumbing that were works of art. Also it seemed if it was not done in California it was worthless, if it was not "billet" it was worthless and if it was not made in Azuza it was not worthy of consideration. These magazines never shared how much money these guys spent on these creations or how impractical or uncomfortable some of these things were. There was some good and some bad about this activity but we had no idea. It was unusual that the hot rod was used in daily transportation. The magazines also taught us a new language, one that never called a thing what it really was: pistons were "slugs", Chevy was "bow tie" and brakes were "stoppers" or some such nonsense. A great deal of the hot rod philosophy is VERY significant in that it is the essence of development and improvement. Without "cutting and trying" there is none. You cannot engineer everything.

So it boils down to what do you want to do today. Do you want to ride or mod? How much you wanna spend? What result do you want?

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 05:21:26 AM »
No, seriously....put a snow blade on your Burgy and come dig me out!

We just got our total snowfall accumulation for December and January here in the Boise valley (remember that this is basically a desert area, and our usual amounts are maybe 6 inches or so for the entire winter), and the amount is...... 29 freaking inches of snow.  :o We are just not prepared to deal with this much of the white stuff around here.

I couldn't get my scooter to the end of the driveway if I wanted to, with all the snow and ice. And we have had low temps around -10* F, with high temps averaging about 24*. Last year I was riding to work until about the middle of February before it got too bad to ride. Not a big fan of this winter crap, I gotta tell you. You people in the Great White North have my sincere condolences!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 03:04:30 AM »
Karl, as the old saying goes, "speed cost, how fast do you want to go"? and, "if it ain't broke, then fix it til it is"..

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 12:50:16 PM »
Her: "What's the  matter  with the car, Honey?"
Me: " Well, you see..."
Her, interrupting: " It was fine yesterday. "
Me: "Yes, well, I thought I'd  fix the ....oh, never mind. I'll  call your brother in law and he can get it going again. I'm  pretty sure..."
not Stig
Stig's not here right now. It's 48 degrees, and he was last sighted headed south on Rt. 68, on the Burgman. Meeting up with his Street Buddies I imagine - Robin Wms and The Mayor.
not Stig again
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:58:28 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()