Author Topic: Power Management Strategy sugestions  (Read 2023 times)

Brik

• View Profile
Power Management Strategy sugestions
« on: December 08, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
Hey all - Looking to pick your brains. My daughter has been using her GV for full time transportation for a year while at school. She just got a car and now the scoot sits for longer periods of time. She is in an apartment complex and cannot use a battery tender. The scoot has an after market alarm system which I suspect is draining the battery. Soooo, the scoot sat for two weeks and now wont start. Likely the battery has drained too much in that time. She is having trouble jumping it but I'll work through that with her.

My question is how to deal with this moving forward? Perhaps just a battery disconnect switch? The downside is the loss of the alarm when its not being ridden. Maybe just deal with it and jump it as needed? If she needs to get a new battery should she get something different than a Yuasa or whatever? LiIon? DeepCycle? She will be coming home for 3 weeks or so at Christmas and will surely arrive back at school to another dead battery if she does nothing.

Thanks for your advice.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Power Management Strategy sugestions
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 05:53:47 PM »
Here's an alarmed lock that I use.
Has a pager as well.
A fully charged new battery should be able to sit without a trickle for a few weeks and still start a healthy scooter or bike.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Brik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 06:08:34 PM »
Here's an alarmed lock that I use.
Has a pager as well.
A fully charged new battery should be able to sit without a trickle for a few weeks and still start a healthy scooter or bike.

Stig
Here is the alarm she has https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-9000-Motorcycle-Transmitter/dp/B00TJJT5EK?th=1&psc=1 her battery is a yuasa that was new in June 2015. The scoot driven daily until just after Thanksgiving this year.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 06:59:47 PM »
She should take the battery out and keep it on a Tender inside her apartment.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

Brik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 07:27:16 PM »
She should take the battery out and keep it on a Tender inside her apartment.

Refresh my memory - Does the whole under seat bucket and seat need to come off to get the battery out or can you get it out through the little access door? As I recall its pretty tight through that opening.

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:29:58 PM »
I've always just pulled it out of the access door opening. It's tight, but she'll pull right out.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »
Here is the alarm she has https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-9000-Motorcycle-Transmitter/dp/B00TJJT5EK?th=1&psc=1 her battery is a yuasa that was new in June 2015. The scoot driven daily until just after Thanksgiving this year.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Yeah, seems like you've a nearly new battery, and good brand. Ridden freq., so seems like the alarm is drawing it down.
The Bully runs off its own battery.
I suppose a quick disconnect bit of kit for the battery could be feasible - so you can take it in side.  But I know it would be a pain to keep removing the battery from my scooters.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Brik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 04:18:17 PM »
Well - She used jumper cables that were not rusty and it started right up and continues to start normally. I think the plan at the moment will be to just ride it more! Yeah, it will be dead maybe when she gets home from Christmas but a quick jump and a pleasure ride and she will be charged up again.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 05:09:49 AM »
Refresh my memory - Does the whole under seat bucket and seat need to come off to get the battery out or can you get it out through the little access door? As I recall its pretty tight through that opening.

Thank god not the entire seat / bucket.  Just the little door.  You could easily wire in parallel with a quick disconnect a jump portable jump start battery which could easily be disconnected and brought in to the apartment and recharged.  I will also recommend she add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank - keeps the gas fresh for 1 year.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()