Author Topic: Starting/battery problems (and jumpstarting?)  (Read 3814 times)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
Starting/battery problems (and jumpstarting?)
« on: December 23, 2016, 07:30:50 PM »
My battery is only 1.5 yrs old on my '08 GV250 (+6000 miles). I wiped out recently at low MPH due to gravel, and ever since I've been having problems with unreliable charging (using trickle charger / maintainer) and with starting in colder temperatures. Like, it starts up fresh off a trickle charge (although once it did not) but then after sitting a couple hours it won't start.

In fact, I had to get a AAA jumpstart last night! Frustrating (and cold).

I'm not inclined to test the still-pretty-new battery (although I don't know how to check its life), so I wonder what else could be responsible? I'm a scooter tech neophyte, so any basic help would be appreciated!

(Side question 1: I just noticed in the manual that they suggest turning off the lights before starting. I have not been doing that; is it standard practice?)

(Side question 2: I read about 'battery packs' or 'jump packs' that allow self jumpstarting in cases like this. Anyone have knowledge or recommendations on these?)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:44:05 PM by AaronPDX »
People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Starting/battery problems (and jumpstarting?)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 07:50:16 PM »
Well heck.
In no particular order.
- Get a cheap multitester from Harbor Freight or something and see what kind of draw the system has while you're off.
- Sounds like your battery to me, but could be some odd draw, that's why ya do step A.
- Look up online how to use said tester to test the draw, & while you're at it the battery.
- Probably replace the battery.  I tend to stick with YUASA but the cheaper ones usually work for a while, sometimes a long while.  I don't recommend Lithium Ion Batteries.  They're great until it gets cold, & they're kinda pricey.
- For jumps, I got an antigravity unit.  That is Li Ion, & I don't leave it out in the cold.  I do charge it now and again cuz if you flatten an LI Ion battery they don't always come back well.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 09:58:21 PM »

take your battery to a dealer and have it load tested,  it may have a voltage but no power,  ( amps ) ,,, it may be sulfated, if so hit it with 15 AMP charge for a 1/2 hour charge than 24 hour trickle charge, some time they come back,. 
  good luck may come your way,   MERRY XMAS,. 

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 10:09:59 PM »
Thanks Tromper and de dee.

I do have a multi tester, and it's registering 12.5 V on full charge, disconnected from charger, with scooter off. Perhaps it is sulfated (build-up of lead sulfate crystals, for those who don't feel like googling it like i just did).

Tromper, that antigravity power supply looks cool. I may buy the 'Sport' model, their smallest... But how do you avoid leaving it in the cold? My scooter winters in the cold garage and I wouldn't want to be moving the power supply from house to garage and vice versa for every ride.

(And I see no way to turn off the lights on this beast, so 'side question #1' is neutralized I guess. Clever manual to suggest that...)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:12:48 PM by AaronPDX »
People 150 (sold)

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »

leave it in your pocket, they are small, bring your  jacket in the house, 

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »
Embarrassed to say this but... I could not figure out how to remove the battery! After exposing it, what's the trick to actually get it out of there?
People 150 (sold)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 04:19:01 AM »
From what I can see in the manual it should just be a matter of disconnecting the wires and pulling it out.
It's probably a flooded battery if it's factory.  Those tend to be heavier than ya think so might just be a matter of pulling harder.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 06:29:27 PM »
Thanks Tromper.

Yeah, it's hard to grab anything on the battery to pull from since it's flush with the plastic 'framing'.  I wonder if I have to take off the whole seat to get at it from the back...
People 150 (sold)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 11:31:58 PM »
can you rock it at all?  It's possible there's some weird little clamp or some gunk in the bottom that's holding it.
Can't say as I've seen one in person, just a couple pics and the service manual.
Heck if you were in this neck of the woods I'd offer to come over and take a look.  It's probably something silly.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 02:08:39 AM »

I hope you did not freeze the battery like real cold in Canada,  they swell up a few inches, don't ask how I know,  (had to pry it out)  if normal Temp.  it could be the foam backer stuck to it,  some scoots have that,.  or just a over sized battery cramed in, 

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 07:25:56 PM »
Good advice, Tromper and De Dee. Thanks.  A little rocking (and rolling) got it out. Will take to NAPA to have it load tested.
People 150 (sold)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 06:31:44 AM »
Thanks Tromper and de dee....

Measure it with the motor running it should read about 14v at idle give or take.  Also, a battery can be at 12.5 and you turn the engine over for a few seconds and retest the voltage and it could fall to 12.2 or so.  The kymco will have problems starting unless the battery really cranks the engine FAST.

Report results:

Volts when running  and

Volts before a cold start, crank a few seconds with the run button switch off and retest and report volts.
PaulC

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 12:16:07 AM »
Tested at NAPA, depletes immediately so they conclude that battery is dead. It was a new battery from 6/15 so I don't know why it's dead. What kills a battery?
People 150 (sold)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 02:02:43 AM »
Leaving it around discharged, freezing, bad luck. spent a year with it's acid in it on a shelf before you bought it.
These are pretty small batteries so tend to go bad easily.  1.5 years is kinda low, but not unheard of.

Thus I try to buy good quality ones where I add the acid when I buy them (so their limited life doesn't start on a shelf somewhere), & keep a tender on 'em for the most part.
So far it's worked to a greater extent.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 02:45:32 AM »
Good to know, Tromper. Can you give me an idea of what model you get and its cost? Not clear on how one adds the acid themselves.

If freezing is a bad thing, then I'm dubious that the original battery I got the scooter with (which I don't think needed replacing; the starting problem then was due to a loose connection elsewhere) is going to work once I thaw it. It's been stored in the freezer to preserve it, on advice from some scooter luminary... I'll try installing it tomorrow and charging...
People 150 (sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()