Author Topic: Have I got this right?  (Read 1339 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Have I got this right?
« on: December 14, 2016, 01:09:50 PM »
Was reading the label on the back of a STABIL bottle ("storage" variant)  and it states to fill the fuel tank to full, to minimize water build up due to condensation inside the tank.
Also, noted that 'dry gas' additives are still widely sold here in Ohio in winter  time.
My question: A trusted mechanic told me a while ago that water in fuel tanks is no longer a real concern,  because nearly all gasoline now contain enough alcohol to deal with the water.
So, fuel line freezes and corroding tanks are ancient  history??
(It is 4°F here this morning - Ohio, USA)
Srig
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:11:37 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Blow Torch

• View Profile
Re: Have I got this right?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:37:37 PM »
I suggest using Non-Ethanol fuel all the time.  Just my way of showing appreciation to my scooter (2013 Silver Wing).  Here in Jacksonville, FL, there are at least a dozen stations that offer Non-Ethanol.  Most sell 89 Octane, and, yes, it costs about $0.50 to $0.75 more that the ethanol contaminated stuff.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 01:42:48 AM »
I suggest using Non-Ethanol fuel all the time.  Just my way of showing appreciation to my scooter (2013 Silver Wing).  Here in Jacksonville, FL, there are at least a dozen stations that offer Non-Ethanol.  Most sell 89 Octane, and, yes, it costs about $0.50 to $0.75 more that the ethanol contaminated stuff.

There are no ethanol free fueling sites around this part of Ohio.
Few Ohioans would own a scoot or a bike if only the nearly impossible to find ethanol free fuels were actually required to safely operate our rides. Since some weeks I am fueling my scooters nearly every day - I know I wouldn't own a scooter if I had to use that fuel.

I, too, want to care for my scooter engines - so I change the oil frequently & stop only at the Top Tier gas stations. (Shell mostly)
Marathon and the hugely popular Speedway stations here are NOT selling Top Tier fuels.

If Honda, Suzuki, Kymco, & Yamaha scooters - and Ducati and BMW motorcycles were being damaged due to ethanol blended fuels - I figure someone would be talking about it,  and of course dealers would be closing.
Stig 

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 11:08:35 AM »
The biggest problem with E10 was with older car, boats etc. the alcohol would "loosen up' sludge from the tanks and clog up to fuel system. It also as we all know ate thru older fuel lines and gaskets.

Most all vehicles can now handle the effects of E10 on the fuel system.
The big problem with it is shelf life. It sucks up water and degrades much faster than plain gas.

I burn E10 in everything from my boats to my 1973 VW dune buggy without Ill effect. I'm also in Jax say as stated above clean gas is available everywhere.

Merry Christmas
AMA
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »
In argentina by law every litre of gas sold contains ethanol! I replaced 3 fuel pumps per season on my boat. It just eats rubbers of a mecanical fuel pump (its a chevy 350) and 2 carb cleanings. In the scooter it it sits for 3 or 4 weeks you get the carb clogged now i have a fi do it seems to be prepared and no problems so far. My car is a diesel so that crap wont bother hehe but got other issues with sulfur in diesel and blends with bio diesel :(

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()