Author Topic: How'd you learn to ride a motorcycle?  (Read 6539 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
don`t remember
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 10:42:48 PM »
Been too many years ago.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: How'd you learn to ride a motorcycle?
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 02:01:15 AM »
I took my first motorbike ride when I was around 5 years old. My dad bought him a Famous James , after he came home from the war. He would put me on the gas tank and he taught me to work the clutch, brake and gas on the handle bar. Is anyone on here older enough to remember the famous James, besides de dee and myself? (lol) It was a small little motorcycle about the size of a Mustang. Opps, if you can't remember either one, then just trust me, they really WERE. I learned at an early age why dogs love to hang their heads out of car windows and how bitter bugs taste. Dad also brought a small 2 stroke bicycle engine home from Germany that he traded a carton of American cigarettes for. It mounted on the handle bar and drove the front wheels with a belt and large pulley attached to the spokes. That was in 1947 and 48. So you thought front wheels drive just happened a few years ago....By the time I was 14, in 1956, I had my first "real" motorcycle, a Simplex Servi Cycle. (Some of you yungins probably never heard of a Simplex either.) And as they say, the rest is history, been ridin for the last 62 years.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 03:19:59 AM »
Born and raised in the country with lots of land. Dad always taught us if you fall of get back on. so we had many of toys to play with from horses and dirt bikes and a lot other fun things.  with 6 kids in the house crying to mom and dad was a big no no everytime someone got hurt . so be brave and get back on and ride or get of and stay of. So I was the brave one and got back on.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 06:33:25 PM »
An old Honda XL185 rat bike with knackered chain and sprockets, some mates and a deserted beach.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 06:47:27 PM »
Had several neighbors growing up who had minibikes and motorcycles. Learned to ride when I was 8 years old on a minibike, I think it was a Honda 50. My buddy's dad would take us to a dirt lot and teach us how to ride. That was so much fun. Later in middle school my next door neighbor bought 3 dirt bikes. The daughter never wanted to ride so I got to go along on their weekend outings to Hollister to the ORV park.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 10:59:23 PM »
A decent selection of mechanics tools was always on hand so I learned how to repair mini-bikes to get an opportunity to ride them.
Progressed quickly to the Honda CT90 and S90 class, then all the 2 stroke dirtbikes .
Probably 1st one I bought was a Suzuki 150cc twin which did not last long.
Bought my first harley 74, (a wreck), when I was 16 and rode it to school daily after moderate repairs.
It would take days to recall the mc's I've had.
I am just now beginning to learn about scooters and have high expectations for my People 250.
redk

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 09:03:56 PM »
Back in '68, a buddy got a Honda 50 Cub for his birthday, and of course we all had to take turns flogging it through the woods (nobody else had a license yet)...  Ran out and bought me a used Honda Dream 150 and would ride it around the neighborhood at night 'cause I was still too young.  Didn't go over well at home, until I got my Dad a new helmet and a set if keys to my bike, and then all was forgiven...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:06:43 PM by Gnzbrg »
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »
Bought my first 150cc scooter and rode it home. Then rode it the next day after that. Learn as you go.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 10:36:38 AM »
Bought my first 150cc scooter and rode it home. Then rode it the next day after that. Learn as you go.

Pretty much the same for me. The UK has very slack laws on getting onto a bike. I did my CBT (day's course for a learner pass) on a 50cc twist and go, then went and bought a 125cc motorcycle a couple of days later. Sat on the driveway, trying to work out how it all worked and how to change gears.

The next day, I rode to work, and every day after that for ten years.

I started because I couldn't afford a car, and the bus was bankrupting me.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()