Author Topic: R & R rear brake on a LIKE200i  (Read 923 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
R & R rear brake on a LIKE200i
« on: December 10, 2016, 02:03:31 AM »
Maybe weather is keeping you from riding your LIKE these days - so maybe you can do some servicing on your scooter that you've been putting off.

It is possible to remove the rear caliper and service the rear brakes without removing the exhaust. Most manuals do it with the muffler removed - but apparently you are not supposed to re-use the exhaust gasket, so I wanted to keep the exhaust bolted up.

TIP:  use a craft paint brush to apply it blue locktite on the 12mm caliper bolts
STEPS
1) Remove the brake hose holder to give yourself slack in the hose.

2) A small steel 5mm "L" allen wrench is needed to loosen one of the pad retaining pins. A socket will not fit behind the muffler. Loosen them both before you remove the caliper.

3) From under the scoot loosen the two 12mm caliper bolts. You will NOT be able to remove them all the way - muffler is too close.

4) Tilt the caliper top towards you and slide up and over the disc, remove to a clean work surface next to the back wheel.

5) Unscrew the pad pins and remove the pads.

6) Sand/clean or replace your pads.

7) Apply silicone grease to the caliper bracket slide-pins. Install the caliper bracket to the caliper.

8 ) Install the pads into the caliper. Insert both pad retaining pins and start by hand but don't    tighten them until the caliper is mounted.

9) Install the brake caliper so that the brake disc fits between the pads.

10) Install the two brake caliper mounting bolts with a drop of Blue Loctite and tighten them to specification.
11) Tighten the two 5mm allen pad/pin screws.

12) Remount the brake line holder with the brake line & tighten w/blue Loctite the 8mm screw.

13) Look things over, take scoot for a walk and check the rear braking before starting engine. Ride slowly until new/clean pads are seated.

So, renewing the rear brake without removing the muffler/exhaust is possible. Re-threading the 2 major caliper bolts takes a bit of patience on the install.

Stig

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:21:18 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: R & R rear brake on a LIKE200i
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 02:26:07 AM »
What you have done here, Stig, is to provide THE EXAMPLE for service manuals! What perfect pictures, step-by-step, how to do a job with minimal fuss. Bravo Zulu!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 01:09:49 AM »
funny..I just came in from the garage about an hour ago after doing the same thing to the front caliper on my motorcycle! Nothing like a clean and lubed caliper! Too bad it will be 3 or 4 more months until I can ride it.

Good point on the silicone paste on the slide pins...anything else can degrade the little rubber boots. I also use 3M copper grease for the other metal to metal contact points. Your Like caliper looks almost exactly like my Ninja caliper!

Cleaning and lubing a caliper is really a very easy task...and kind of fun, too.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

kjems

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »
Thank you so much for this.

I have a problem now:

One of the Pad pins are stuck so much that i wrench the tool and also wear the bolt out trying to loose it. What to do?

Kindly Jesper

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 07:02:06 PM »
The same thing is true of the GV 250: you can readily remove the rear caliper without removing the muffler, thereby contradicting the manual.
2009 GV 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 11:33:06 PM »
Thank you so much for this.

I have a problem now:

One of the Pad pins are stuck so much that i wrench the tool and also wear the bolt out trying to loose it. What to do?

Kindly Jesper
Ok Jesper,
I think you are going to need to remove the muffler....and try a slightly larger tool, or a torx head tool & hit into the pin not too hard - in order to jam a tool into the pin to try again to loosen it.
Apply some bolt loosener liquid product too 24 hours before trying again. Hit tool into pin lightly....maybe cause pin corrosion to loosen, liquid to penetrate better?
If this fails ...may have to go to "easy out " drill bit to back out the pin. Here best get help from experienced mechanic more familiar with this common problem.
Let us know how it goes for you...!
We'll get it out!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()