Author Topic: Severed right rearview mirror... advice on repair?  (Read 4079 times)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
Re: Severed right rearview mirror... advice on repair?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 06:29:01 PM »
I tried to splice the severed mirror wires back together. It doesn't work, so I have to move it manually -- but the left mirror still moves fine with the press of the button.

But: I wonder if this has affected the electrical system as a whole? Any chance of that?
People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 08:44:23 PM »
I tried to splice the severed mirror wires back together. It doesn't work, so I have to move it manually -- but the left mirror still moves fine with the press of the button.

But: I wonder if this has affected the electrical system as a whole? Any chance of that?

The effect would be limited to a blown fuse and possible the damaged motor could overheat but the fuse would most likely blow.  The downside is that both mirrors share the same branch / fuse so both mirrors would stop working.  I recommend unplugging the power cord for the damaged mirror and just keep using they way you are.

Here's a link to my Kymco Grandvista grand dink mirror repairs for ideas.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3DZnxkRZ1u4U05kcV9BbTBFX2c
PaulC

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 02:42:11 AM »
Mrbios, kudos on your documentation! Photos and captions like that can be really helpful.
In my case, the main body of the mirror was intact, but the inner black rotator dealywobber was mangled and the wires clipped.

Just the one fuse controls both mirrors, right?
People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 05:04:52 AM »
Mrbios, kudos on your documentation! Photos and captions like that can be really helpful.
In my case, the main body of the mirror was intact, but the inner black rotator dealywobber was mangled and the wires clipped.

Just the one fuse controls both mirrors, right?

Thanks.  I have tons more pictures of different procedures including my exhaust surgery and re-weld numerous times including a bizarre "double break" where the thin pipe cracked all the way through on the way home on the highway on a short 18 mile trip. 

I did notice from your pictures that your spindle / the round internal part got trashed.  In all my mirror brakes that part was fine but the rest got ruined.  6 months after I installed the $180 mirror I parked the scooter on a slight down hill and it rolled forward and fell over and of course it had ddto break the "new" mirror.  The electric mirrors are nice but over all they were a very bad idea.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()