Author Topic: Almost at wits end trying to start 2014 200i 'project'. Any ideas??  (Read 4415 times)

manoverboard

• whatever......
    • View Profile
Looking for forum help.
Been lurking for a little while on these forums. I have 2 running 200i (2013 red and 2014 blue and white LX)  and picked up a non-running 2014 200i as a project. (can't get enough can we?)

So, I have read and tried all the advice on getting it to run with no luck at all. The battery was low when I got it, so, charged overnight.
It turns over, but won't run. The CELP code was 12 so I replaced the fuel pump (the eBay one in other forums).
Replaced battery, replaced spark plug(iridium), cleaned tank and put in fresh gas. Now the fuel pump runs continuously, checked the fuel pump relay with one from another same year 200i and is OK. It will sometimes start, run for about 5-10 seconds, then dies like fuel starved. The CLEP now does not come on for initialization, but gives 1 blink when turning over. Also checked the fuel injector and has a ohm reading of 14.8 instead of 11.7. Replace? Also I've done all the resets I have read about...
HELP!!! dealer here is a no-go-to.
Kymco People 50

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Almost at wits end trying to start 2014 200i 'project'. Any ideas??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:30:20 AM »
Hang tight.  I have never experienced that type of problem.  I sure that someone will be of some help. I had a fouled plug once. Other than that, I am no help.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:15:42 PM »
Sounds like you need to use the Kymco analyzer tool to check all the EFI parameters. Do you have access to the Like service manual?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

manoverboard

• whatever......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »
Yes, I do have the manual. Printed and online. I also have a help 'ticket' into cyclopedia but haven't gotten a response yet.
I think this is why I am "almost at my wits end".    :'(
I am going to contact my local hackers, ahem, dealer and see if they have the Kymco analyzer and how much for the diagnostic test.
Kymco People 50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 05:31:54 PM »
Can we get some more basics on this scooter?
Service history, if any.
Miles?
Wrecked?
Flood damaged?
KILL switch?
Tried starting with known good battery from other LIKE? Some EFI'd scoots need very good battery.

It seems to me that there are a number of things that could make your scooter run poorly (plug, gas, etc.) - but fewer that could prevent it from starting.

That injector reading makes the injector suspect, true. They run about $70 I think. But it could be partially clogged, or is malfunctioning. Is it attached correctly, snug, with clip, holder & O ring, etc. in place?

Brake switches operating correctly - seeing a good brake light when squeezed? (cheap part that stops a lot of scoots from starting)
Have the valves been adjusted correctly? (lack of compression)
Have you seen a good spark with plug against frame?
Tried starting with gas cap loose?(doubtful)
Looked for intake air leak? (throttle body area, everything snug)
Doubt if it's the aircleaner - these things never get dirty on a LIKE.

You could swap over  the throttle body assembly (with the ECU) from your running LIKE200i to rule out that issue. That 12 code may have been from the throttle body/ECU unit.

My suspects would be, in order :
battery
Brake switches
check for good spark
valve adjustment
injector clogged or bad (swap one from good scooter to rule out)
throttle body/ECU assembly (caution, the eBay seller wants as much for his used as a new costs)

please keep us in the loop.
Regards, Stig
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:37:00 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

manoverboard

• whatever......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »
Thanks Stig for the input help.
It is a 2014 with 702 miles. Dealer serviced at 500 miles by previous owner. She had a minor crash, fall over which scared her and hence it sat for over a year.
Checked the electrics, all the lights work OK including brake lights.
What is confusing to me was after a fresh battery was installed the CELP worked as should: on for 2 secs then off. The fuel pump was not working at that point, so it was replaced with a new pump (yamaha pump from eBay), also new iridium spark plug. Now the fuel pump pumps continuously and does not shut off like the other Likes. CELP light does not go on at all when switched to ON. When starter button is pushed, engine turns over fine, CELP is blinking 1 time very few seconds at that point, engine will fire sometimes and run for about 5 seconds then dies like fuel starved. Even tried running with loose gas cap. Old pump screen looked varnished from old gas, so tank was cleaned and fresh gas put in. Fuel pump relay checked with one from other Like. I checked the resistance of the fuel injector and it was on the high side: 15 ohms vs 11.7 in the manual. All intakes were checked and did not need tightening.
How do you check the ECU?        Could it be the tip-over switch malfunction?       How to reset CELP system?
I don't want to replace too many parts, especially if they are not needed.
I am trying to find anyone nearby that has a Kymco Diagnostic Tool without spending $350 on eBay for one.
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Kymco People 50

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 06:52:52 PM »
The Kymco fuelpumps are different than the aftermarket pumps. The original pump has also a built in pressure regulator, which communicates with the ECU about the correct fuel pressure. I don´t know if this is important for the correct function of the ECU in general. But just wanted to mention it. Stig also might know more about this.

The CELP LED must go on for about 2 seconds after key on. This is kind of a selftest that the LED is working and is accessed correctly from the ECU. So this is suspicious.

How about the 3 main ground contacts (green) to the engine, the frame and the battery? Are they tight, blank and clean? Well greased? What is the resistance? 0 to max. 0.5 Ohms?

And against some other recommendation here, I personally wouldn´t take relevant parts out of one of your running scooters for testing. You just might end up having 2 no runners afterwards...

And what about that EVAP canister system? Is it clean and dry and works properly? This scooter had a minor crash and has been laid down on the ground for a while and maybe flooded this canister. Didn´t we have already a guy here, who´s scooter also turned into a no runner after he or his relative who borrowed the scooter overfilled the gastank at the gas station?
Checked all vacuum lines from and to the throttlebody?

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=14741.0

And I guess you will not get around using the diagnostic tool from Kymco.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:08:49 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 01:52:41 AM »
Cycle your kill switch a few times. Also check the electrical contacts at the starter motor. I had a bolt come loose on my Like and the contact was just resting on the engine housing. The scooter wouldn't start unless I jumped up and down on it which repositioned the connection and it would start. Even when I did get it to start it sporadically stalled out on me. Once I figured out what the problem was and Stig sent me a replacement bolt all was well again.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »
Ok, at 700 miles it ain't  the valves way out of adj.
Yamaha fuel pump should not run continuously. Turn on key and wait 15 - 25 sec.   ....does it really keep running beyond that? Strange orig. pump quit at 700 miles.?? Leaking injector?
How do we bypass  tip over switch?
LIKE200i  will sound like it is about to start with kill switch  on 'kill' position. But won't.

You've done the two re-set procedures? (Pink wire, and throttle/key things?)
Time to vote.
Will keep working this.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

manoverboard

• whatever......
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 04:07:16 PM »
Thanks for all the help on this. And, support!
I agree that there must be a problem so that the CELP light is not working properly. And trying to find out a way to reset that system. Have done all the other resets.
I have the manual to reference too!
I have checked out all the tips posted. And everything seems to be OK! grounding wires, canister, etc.
So, tomorrow I am checking on 2 shops that repair Kymcos and see if they have a Diagnostic Tool and what will be the cost to have a check done.
Will keep everyone posted.
Kymco People 50

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 04:08:58 AM »
Thanks for all the help on this. And, support!
I agree that there must be a problem so that the CELP light is not working properly. And trying to find out a way to reset that system. Have done all the other resets.
I have the manual to reference too!
I have checked out all the tips posted. And everything seems to be OK! grounding wires, canister, etc.
So, tomorrow I am checking on 2 shops that repair Kymcos and see if they have a Diagnostic Tool and what will be the cost to have a check done.
Will keep everyone posted.

I hope it easily resolved. I look forward to your update.

DIRKHUNT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 03:07:45 PM »
I had an Aprilia with similar issue. Would run for a few sec and starve out.
It turned out to be the Vacuum assisted fuel petcock wasnt opening.
It would dribble enough fuel to start then die.

With 700 miles I'd look for the basic issues, fuel, spark, and air

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

manoverboard

• whatever......
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »
UPDATE
Well, at this point I took it to a Kymco dealer (not the local one), and waiting to hear back about the diagnostic test ($40).
I will post when I hear something.
And, thanks to all who have offered tips and advice.
Kymco People 50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 09:06:39 PM »
Thanks for the update. ...
You have a lot of LIKE owners watching this outcome!!
($40 to take off the battery cover & plug that thing in...
With a smoke break,  I  guess it could take 30 mins of shop time.)
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

manoverboard

• whatever......
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »
Well, just got the results of the diagnostics check.
It seems that somehow a switch that is behind the handle bars got disconnected. It controls input to the ECU, which in turns controls the CLEEP lights and system.
They also had diagnosed the fuel system and fuel pump as the non-start, non running problem. They confirmed what Vespbretta mentioned about the built in pressure regulator is needed for the system to start and run.
So, I will be replacing the fuel pump again with a Kymco pump assembly,  and see how that goes.
Sorry to say about the aftermarket Yamaha pump not working on this particular Like 200i.
Will keep everyone posted after I install the pump.
Kymco People 50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()