Author Topic: So..that's what a flat tire feels like on a scooter.  (Read 745 times)

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
So..that's what a flat tire feels like on a scooter.
« on: November 01, 2016, 06:06:39 PM »
 On Saturday, I rode to the motorcycle shop to look at a new jacket. I rode the main road at the 50 mph speed limit. On the way home, I stopped for gas. The performance seemed to be strained. When I turned from the main street into my neighborhood, it felt like the rear end was on a swivel. I drove to the stop sign, then turned. From a dead stop I turned right, the scooter decided to fish tail and swerve. I stopped immediately at that time. I put the bike on the center stand and shook everything. OK? I guess.
 It wasn't until I brought it down and checked it on the side stand that I realized that the back tire was completely flat.  I ran over a large  construction staple, a two pronged nail. I consider myself lucky that the tire survived until I was close to home, and riding at very slow speeds. I was around the corner from home and was able to push the bike home.
 I had previously never experienced a flat on a motor bike. It was definitely a "what the heck was That? " feeling, followed by a sigh and a Thank you.
 I ordered another tire. It should be here soon.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:09:31 PM by LidoCA »
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: So..that's what a flat tire feels like on a scooter.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:08:07 PM »
Yep, it is a funny feeling...and a weird noise as well as a unsteady turn from a 45mph road alerted me that something was wrong at the back of my new Forza.
An expensive adventure on a beautiful  sunny morning that stretched into late afternoon  before I  got home.
AAA did not cover my scoot. So, @$235 to flatbed me to the dealer @4 miles away. Another $250 or so to buy and mount a new tire...that was one size too big. OEM Forza tires back ordered across N America.
That tire fixed odometer....and speedo reading! Perfect now...for only $500 !
3" piece  of folded sheetmetal got me...
thought it was a flattened pop can coming at me. Front tire stood it up to slide into center of rear tire.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()