Author Topic: Riding in the snow/winter?  (Read 3129 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Riding in the snow/winter?
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:45:34 AM »
There's another thread that touched on this some, but it's off topic and I don't want to hijack it any further.

Many years ago when I got my first scooter (a 125cc Yamaha), I intended to take it out in the snow in New England. I did this already with my bicycle all the time, and my internet research suggested it was fine if you were careful.

The very first time I hit a  smallish patch of snow (the roads were mostly plowed), I immediately lost traction and low sided.

After that, my approach was to wait out the snowy portions of the winter until there was no chance of snow or ice. Thankfully now where I live it doesn't snow.

Still, I'm curious as to what everyone else's approach to riding in the winter is.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Riding in the snow/winter?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:57:12 AM »
Did it once in the late '60s from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA on a 1966 Yamaha YM-1 305cc motorcycle. Never repeated that anywhere for all the right reasons.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:10:23 AM »
I just don't ride in the snow - haven't worked up to the level of Stig on that one yet. My tires just won't grip that well, and I'm not going to replace them yet, still too much tread left to justify it. I would rather not risk the possible injuries and damage to my scooter. Plus I love the heated seats in my car on those snowy days!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 07:43:28 PM »
If it’s below freezing, or if there’s snow, or worse, ice on the roads, its a ‘no’ for riding. This past January I broke my riding rule because it was actually a nice sunny day, in the high twenties. After not having ridden for a few weeks I decided to risk it and go into Philadelphia. Going into town was fine, but on my way back my front tire hit a frozen manhole cover and down my bike went. Scrapes on the side paneling, but nothing major like broken lights or mirrors. I was lucky. My left ankle was the worse -- some pretty major swelling which has just now finally gone away. I’m guessing some form of bursitis had settle in.

So, yeah. No winter riding for me. Also, the moment there’s salt on the roads that’s also a hard no.

- Wolf

SteveADV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 10:15:06 PM »
If the roads are clean, there is a small or zero chance of black ice, I can get up and down the driveway (sometimes after shoveling a two foot wide path), AND the weather is clear, there is a chance I would on the road. My wife took this picture of my BMW C650GT after a snow storm thinking I was heading out (I wasn't...on this particular day).

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 01:54:04 AM »
If the roads are clean, there is a small or zero chance of black ice, I can get up and down the driveway (sometimes after shoveling a two foot wide path), AND the weather is clear, there is a chance I would on the road. My wife took this picture of my BMW C650GT after a snow storm thinking I was heading out (I wasn't...on this particular day).
Good thinking - if You'd headed out on surfaces like that on a pretty BMW with street tires - moderator here would cancel your subscription to the Jam of the Month. 
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 02:08:59 AM »
I wouldn't try snow on the stock Kenda tires - but the Michelin City Grip tread pattern works pretty well on tractable snow. Nothing works much on ice or glazed/packed snow, except 'snow' tires or studs.
I do give the scoot a rinse with the garden sprayer after EVERY ride if even a hint of salt on the road - wet or
dry. So far, after 3 winters the metal surfaces still look good.
I never ride on roads I have not first driven a car over. Not a big fan of surprises on my scooter outing.
I pay attention to night time temps and the likelihood that the road may hold some frozen spots....and embed in my memory every shaded area that may hold frost.
I'm just out for a ride on my scooter - not doing a TT through the county.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

SteveADV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 02:29:59 AM »
Yeah, snow and touring bikes/tires is way beyond my skill set. When I had my KLR650 I went out in the snow on a two track near me. A lot like light gravel on pavement; easy to lose it if not paying close attention. The tires are the thing.

Then again, as stated previously, the black ice is more of an issue (IMO) than just plain old snow. Snow/ice and PTWs are not made for a simple day ride. But if you set-up your bike right...

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »
I ride year round in all temps UNLESS there is a chance of frozen precipitation on the roads. Down here in Ga. snow is always accompanied by  a nice under-layer of ice.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

SteveADV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 08:30:33 PM »
I ride year round in all temps UNLESS there is a chance of frozen precipitation on the roads. Down here in Ga. snow is always accompanied by  a nice under-layer of ice.

Especially where there are shadows on the road....the places where black ice lurks waiting for an unsuspecting PTW, car, or truck.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 08:20:57 PM »
I would think that riding a scooter on snow & ice is relatively easy, I have overcome the issues of nearly 100 hp to the rear wheel

my first real experiment was drilling stud pockets and shooting in standard automotive studs with a pneumatic stud gun, cause the pockets are drilled instead of molded, it takes a few miles for the studs to seat in, until they are, the tires feel pretty sketchy. The front tire hooked up surprisingly well, but 1000cc was a bit much for the rear wheel, hardest to control on deceleration. my next experiment was the darkside

205/50-17 General Altimax Arctic.  the heavier weight buffered the 1000cc acceleration and engine braking perfectly,  an experiment successful beyond my wildest imagination

RandyO
IBA#9560

SteveADV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »
Wow! So just with auto snows on the back and your "custom" studded bike tires on the front? On that snow covered road could you keep up with car/truck traffic?

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »
Wow! So just with auto snows on the back and your "custom" studded bike tires on the front? On that snow covered road could you keep up with car/truck traffic?

keep up, no problem, I do keep my distance, religiously, in reality if there is any traffic, it is usually holding me up

previously posted pic was at the Kancamagus Pass on my annual Stupid Bowl Sunday Kanc Ride,  (I live about 50 miles from the Kanc) that particular year, we had freezing rain all nite that ended up with about an inch of powder on top of a nights worth of freezing rain, it stopped precipitating at about 6:30 am,

fell on my ass walking out to road to see if town had spread salt yet, if it was softening at all, I shouldn't have any problem on the roads

all is good, all I have to do is sand a path down my driveway to get my bike out by the road

winter car tire makes it go like it's got a track

RandyO
IBA#9560

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
Wow. Respect. Hopefully the salt won't be too corrosive on your bike.

- Wolf

yao

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 03:45:34 PM »
Just DON'T do it, unless you have spike tires

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()