Author Topic: Fall electrical cleaning  (Read 680 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Fall electrical cleaning
« on: October 19, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »
Last night when I got home I decided to clean and lubricate as many electrical contact points on the Like as I could before my music lessons. With contact cleaner/lubricant spray from Radio Shack and dielectric grease in hand I went to work. I found the lollipop DOT signals to have poorly constructed contacts. The spray came in handy for cleaning/lubricating connectors. I paid particular attention to the engine grounding points and used a little steel wool to make sure I was removing oxidation and creating a strong contact point. Not sure if my efforts added anything, but at least I feel better about maintaining an often overlooked aspect of our scooters.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Fall electrical cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:32:20 AM »
Good morning  Trout,
 Wondered if we have an electrical expert here who could share the latest thinking  about dielectric grease?
I am still  confused about how it is to be used.
Some say it is a current insulator....and blocks and prevents arcing of the current ....and thus, is not to be used on any plug in connectors.
Others claim it protects and improves the current  flow when applied to these connectors.
Without  starting Trump/Hillary round #4....can the use of this stuff be clarified?
Thanks
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: Fall electrical cleaning
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:25:10 AM »
Well, unfortunately I can´t deliver a scientific elaboration on that, but I am using the following marine grease on many of my electricals connections of the scooter very successfully. Without a single problem so far. https://www.amazon.de/Liqui-Moly-3509-Bootsfett-250/dp/B00295JXEI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1477307729&sr=1-1&keywords=marine+grease

It is/was a recommendation from a respected German Kymco mechanic/dealer for all rain- and winter riders.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:42:25 AM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()