Author Topic: Throttle position sensor???  (Read 4580 times)

mkgee52

• View Profile
Throttle position sensor???
« on: October 18, 2016, 08:35:55 PM »
Hello Guys,
I have a new to me 2013 150 Movie. Been good all summer but now when you accelerate hard it just bogs and misses like it is lacking fuel. If you ease on the throttle it is better.  Is there a common issue that might be the issue? Where is the best place to get a service manual that would be good? I noticed it has a throttle position sensor. Might that be an issue? I am a retired mechanic for 40+ years but I have no info about the bike. I would think fuel issue for sure but it seems to me if I let the thing idle for a minute the float bowl should be full. Just assuming the float bowl is full and everything else is fine except the fuel issue it should take off for 10 yard?? It does not. If I accelerate hard right from throttle it instantly misses. Not the plug. I tried that. :)
Thanks everyone.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle position sensor???
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 11:19:36 PM »
My experience with a failing throttle  position sensor is a very bad stumble when cruising at a steadily held speed. A certain rpm sets it off only when HELD at that speed.
My scoot ran flawlessly at idle...max speed....acceleration
...etc. Only stumbled bad at a certain cruise speed.
New throttle body  w/TPS fixed it.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »
Does your fuel tank vent? I was finally convinced on here to check mine. The tank on hot days would "whoosh" out when the cap was removed. Some were saying theirs would suck in. Got rid of some of my intermittent idle problems by venting the cap.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mkgee52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 03:53:20 AM »
Hi Guys and sorry for the long wait. Thanks for the replies. This is one for the books and I bet it helps no one else. Apparently the final drive vent goes in to the air filter box. The owner overfilled it way too much. The final drive pushed the extra gear oil in to the filter and plugged it up. It also fouled the spark plug. New plug and filter plus clean up the mess. Drain and refill with the correct amount and all is good. Thanks again everyone. Wouldn't expect anyone to guess that.  :D

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
Glad you got that sorted.
I have heard of this happening to scooters that were overfilled....but didn't know what  symptoms  were set in motion  by that.
Thanks  for the update....that WILL happen again to someone.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 05:16:30 PM »
Wooda NEVER suspected that! Stig is right it WILL happen again 'cause there are people like me that think the gear box should fill to the fill bolt hole!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

da808nanospeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 01:07:04 AM »
The TPS don't really matter if is plug in or not. I am running after market slider carb and I just zip tie the TPS harness somewhere on the frame

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()