Author Topic: Issues from first DIY Tune Up  (Read 1308 times)

Duddy03

• View Profile
Issues from first DIY Tune Up
« on: October 06, 2016, 03:26:10 AM »
First I adjusted the valves.  Using the silicone spray and "butter knife" I had no trouble removing the plastic body cover.  The Youtube videos and Cyclepedia manual says the valve spec is 0.10 mm.  The intake valve was adjusted to 0.10 mm and the exhaust valve was adjusted to 0.13 mm.  However, I seem to remember a spec range of 0.10 to 0.20 mm.  Does anyone recall seeing this range?  If so, the target setting should probably be 0.15 mm.  Right?

The OEM NGK spark plug was replaced with the NGK Iridium plug.  Neither plugs had lock washers.  Later, reading my notes, I recalled that Stig used the Toyota "crunch" washer 90430-12031 on the spark plug.  Is this a minor oversight or major screw-up?

The oil drain plug with screen was replaced with the Dimple (super) Magnet plug with screen.  The president of Dimple (http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/) has been able to sell the plug he engineered for my Like to a parts vendor in the orient.  I also got a free gauge to check the length and thread pitch of any metric bolt.  I'll take a picture of the plug the next time I change the oil.  I installed the Toyota "crunch" washer to the second drain plug.  The oil was replaced with a synthetic scooter motor oil.

The trans gear lube was replaced with a synthetic gear lube.  A previous posting mentioned not to mix the drain and the fill plugs but mine were identical in size (neither had lock washers).  The Toyota 90430-12031 washers were too big to use.  Stig:  Do you have another part number for a smaller Toyota washer?  I will probably buy a Dimple Magnet plug for the drain plug sometime in the future.  Again, I'll check how many particles it collects.

I was happy to try out the scooter.  But it seemed like I had forgotten how to ride it!  The front wobbled back and forth.   And I had trouble going straight ahead.   Has anyone had trouble riding after a long period of no riding?  The problem could have been an underinflated front tire.  My two Consumers Reports, highly rated, Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauges and a Slime digital tire gauge all failed to illuminate at the gas station.  Back home I tested the batteries and they all checked out.  I threw the Slime away.  This morning I tried the Accutire gauges again and they still did not work on the scooter but they did work on my truck.  It seems that the valve in the scooter tire stem is a little more recessed than in a car or truck tire.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I dug out the Slime gauge pieces from the trash bin, cleaned the coffee grounds off of  the pieces and put them on a paper towel to dry!  I understand that the Accutire MS-4710B (5 - 99 psi) or RA60X (5 - 60 psi) Motorcycle Air Gauges are good.  Life is good (if the weather holds out).

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Issues from first DIY Tune Up
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 03:59:15 PM »
Valves on the 163cc LIKE200i are to be set at 0.10mm each (intake & exhaust > .10mm ....do not know about the 125cc LIKE)

All new NGK & Denso spark plugs sold in the USA come with a crush washer already in place.
The Toyota washers are for the engine oil drain plug....not the spark plugs or the gear oil plug.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-10PC-OIL-DRAIN-PLUG-CRUSH-WASHER-GASKETS-90430-12031-TOYOTA-/151376230445?fits=Make%3AToyota&hash=item233eb9f82d:g:WBEAAOSwgQ9V36d3&vxp=mtr

Some tire pressure gauges are just crap. Use two & check their readings against ea. other.

Part # for gear oil drain plug washer is #90474.....but a whole lot cheaper to take the plug/bolt to hardware store and buy 5 washers for $1.00.

Long time off any two-wheeler will make you wobbly at first I think. Practice in a deserted parking lot until you get comfortable with stopping and turning.

Good luck
Stig

PS: Your picture  is too big to see the part. Please try to decrease size? Doubt if you'll ever find much metal in there after the first one or two oil changes. Not sure how much a magnet will find in an alloy engine.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:06:58 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 02:57:24 AM »
Stig:  Thanks for the feedback.  I didn't find the oil drain plug washer (Toyota #90474) online, yet.  But I'll keep trying.  I like the Toyota 90330-12031 washers (and my two Toyota vehicles).

My digital tire pressure gauges are suppose to come alive when in contact with the tire stem and after waiting about 4 seconds.  It doesn't work on the KYMCO but works on my Tacoma and Prius.  Most pencil-type gauges have always had a bad reputation for accuracy.  Still, I'll buy one tomorrow.  I take tire pressure seriously.

My last posting was originally pitched by the forum software when my attachment was too large as I did a preview.  (Back to re-writing my post.)  I made the image smaller in size; sorry it still wasn't quit right.  I'll try harder next time!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 10:28:47 AM »
Stig:  Thanks for the feedback.  I didn't find the oil drain plug washer (Toyota #90474) online, yet.  But I'll keep trying.  I like the Toyota 90330-12031 washers (and my two Toyota vehicles).

My digital tire pressure gauges are suppose to come alive when in contact with the tire stem and after waiting about 4 seconds.  It doesn't work on the KYMCO but works on my Tacoma and Prius.  Most pencil-type gauges have always had a bad reputation for accuracy.  Still, I'll buy one tomorrow.  I take tire pressure seriously.

My last posting was originally pitched by the forum software when my attachment was too large as I did a preview.  (Back to re-writing my post.)  I made the image smaller in size; sorry it still wasn't quit right.  I'll try harder next time!
No worries about the picture...
Points and Kudos to you for doing your own servicing!
Helps to bond with your scooter. ...and teaches you to look after its health! :-)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 02:46:55 AM »
I bought a new tire gauge from Ace Hardware and rushed over to the gas station.  It didn't work!  I was ready to replace the tire stem valve but I went to the front and grabbed the front tire and squeezed it as hard as I could.  The tire collapsed under the pressure - it had no air.  I inflated the tire and all of my tire pressure gauges started working again.  I could have been killed riding a grossly underinflated tire.  It won't happen again.

Soon I will start a new thread on gross vehicle weight.  My Owner's Manual has two different specs on different pages.

OFF TOPIC (quick questions)
Concerning LED light bulbs:  Is there still an issue with LED directional signal lights not being compatible with the OEM flasher without adding a resister in the circuit or without buying an LED with a built-in resistor?  Secondly, what about the two amber lamps in the front of the Like that doesn't meet USA DOT requirements.  Is the wiring and sockets in place to make them an additional source of visibility to other drivers?  Can I just insert a couple to LEDs?  Thanks.   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()