Author Topic: Getting the Bad Oil out....  (Read 2345 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Getting the Bad Oil out....
« on: September 27, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
699 miles since the last oil change on my LIKE200i. I average between 600 > 800 miles between changes. Using 5W-40 synthetic. Airfilter looks new after 1,000's of miles - but oil gets nice and dark.

I really like these Toyota washers - Teflon coated aluminum....fit perfectly. (cheap on eBay or Amazon)
(win a donut if you can spot the problem w/this pic)

Stig
I know - a lot of folks think I'm nuts for changing the LIKE's oil so often. I'm OK with that.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:16:23 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Getting the Bad Oil out....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »
the problem w/this pic

Not a 6-point socket . . which enhances the odds of "rounding" the oil drain bolt heads.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
I don't think you nuts at all.
OK I said that of loud, but what I am thinking is something else altogether.....

I am also changing my oil more often now, at 3000km. Manual says 5000.
I am using the Uk hi-flo filter which is far more exorbitant than the black 'no name' that I find at other bike shops.
I am coming up the next oil change soon.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »
"Any oil better than no oil," and "Change too often better than not often enough." Quote by CROSSBOLT long before Kymco Forum existed......

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 05:01:09 PM »
Not a 6-point socket . . which enhances the odds of "rounding" the oil drain bolt heads.
Donut is in the mail!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »
I change my oil every 1,200 miles which approximates Kymco's suggested intervals for doing so. I've been told by others that I shouldn't waste my money and change out the oil every 3,000 miles. I'll stick to the Kymco manual thank you very much. It has worked for me and I see no reason to change. YMMV  :)

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 03:10:21 AM »
I don't think you nuts at all.
OK I said that of loud, but what I am thinking is something else altogether.....

I am also changing my oil more often now, at 3000km. Manual says 5000.
I am using the Uk hi-flo filter which is far more exorbitant than the black 'no name' that I find at other bike shops.
I am coming up the next oil change soon.
Six point wrenches and sockets are the best.  For xsel777, what is the UK Hi-Flo filter?  Recall, the Like has only a screen for oil filtration.  Filters and oil are my second business and passion!  With special oil, filters and oil analysis I had a car that went 170,000 miles and 9 1/2 years without an oil change!  I almost feel I can make any car last nearly forever.  The fuel injection is a leap into the 21st century;  the lack of an oil filter places a scooter in the mid-20th century.  I can't fault Stig or anyone for frequent oil changes.  At the moment, I'll do the same.  But we need an advance in technology to lift us out of the 1950s.  As NASA says, "Work the problem, people."  (I am.)   

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 10:44:41 AM »
Six point wrenches and sockets are the best.  For xsel777, what is the UK Hi-Flo filter?  Recall, the Like has only a screen for oil filtration.  Filters and oil are my second business and passion!  With special oil, filters and oil analysis I had a car that went 170,000 miles and 9 1/2 years without an oil change!  I almost feel I can make any car last nearly forever.  The fuel injection is a leap into the 21st century;  the lack of an oil filter places a scooter in the mid-20th century.  I can't fault Stig or anyone for frequent oil changes.  At the moment, I'll do the same.  But we need an advance in technology to lift us out of the 1950s.  As NASA says, "Work the problem, people."  (I am.)   
Houston here......
Stig had a Sears lawnmower, given used from his brother, that he used for 21 yrs - with never an oil change. No special oil or lab work. Drain bolt rounded and froze, so...
18th century servicing of a of a 20th ccentury machine.
Yes...he is also passionate (-ly hating lawn mowing) Craft was last sighted going into trash picker's Buick pick-up (!!)  late one evening...after wheel #3 broke out of the chassis. Mowing with a 3 wheel mower IS posssible...even a two wheel mower...but when you lose 3 wheels mowing will get, as Col. Hal More once said - "pretty sporty!".
Stig
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:52:32 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 04:04:00 AM »
Thanks for the story.  My family had a new 4X4 Chinese 3-cylinder diesel tractor that we bought at Rural King (a local farm implement store).  We used it at our woods but only occasionally.  It caused us lots of grief and eventually we sold it.  Then we inherited a '62 John Deere Model 1010 tractor but it got flooded out by a river and the dealer took it off our hands as scrap.  I want my KYMCO to last and last.  I hope it will last as long as your lawn mower and with the advice of this forum I can't help but "tweek" it every chance I get.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:57:19 AM »
Thanks for the story.  My family had a new 4X4 Chinese 3-cylinder diesel tractor that we bought at Rural King (a local farm implement store).  We used it at our woods but only occasionally.  It caused us lots of grief and eventually we sold it.  Then we inherited a '62 John Deere Model 1010 tractor but it got flooded out by a river and the dealer took it off our hands as scrap.  I want my KYMCO to last and last.  I hope it will last as long as your lawn mower and with the fadvice of this forum I can't help but "tweek" it every chance I get.
They just opened a new Rural King store here.
Do they sell goats?.....now that my Sears mower is gone....
My daughter wants a duck...so we'll check it out.
Nice looking store.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 08:14:03 PM »
Stig,

Do you happen to have the part number for those Toyota washers?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()