Author Topic: Changing grips.  (Read 5123 times)

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
Re: Changing grips.
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 04:01:59 AM »
Yeah, I've been trying to find a replacement throttle tube which is has a quick throttle function.
Hey kneeslider, I took apart the kill switch assembly by removing the 2 Phillips screws from the bottom to reveal the throttle sleeve and the 2 throttle cable ends that attaches to the sleeve. It looks pretty easy to change out if you can find a throttle sleeve that fits. I bought this one for around $7-8 shipped. Hopefully it will work here's the link.

http://m.bonanza.com/listings/7-8-handle-bar-hand-grip-dual-cables-throttle-sleeve-tube-sportbike-scooter-atv/392591623?goog_pla=1&gpid=18283950120&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o2&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjwp4fABRCer93Klpaki94BEiQAsXJMGgSm-E-RW7MsI2sAdJyR8E789bGxih6jdkmMrsVMxlkaAlzK8P8HAQ

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 03:39:29 AM »
Yeah, I actually took my apart to measure out the cam diameter, cam thickness, winding diameter, tube length, tube inner diameter.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »
Yeah, I actually took my apart to measure out the cam diameter, cam thickness, winding diameter, tube length, tube inner diameter.

Were you able to find a throttle sleeve that matches the stock dimensions? The one I ordered is being shipped from China and will probably take a few weeks to arrive

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 08:51:11 AM »
I kinda did.

The throttle sleeve by Active. I better double check on the overall diameter as well as the cam offset again just to be sure.

I am curious of yours. Would it give you a quick throttle?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 01:21:52 AM »
Were you able to find a throttle sleeve that matches the stock dimensions? The one I ordered is being shipped from China and will probably take a few weeks to arrive

Hi,  have your throttle tube arrived? 

How was the fit?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 01:12:52 AM »
Hi,  have your throttle tube arrived? 

How was the fit?

Hey Kneeslider, sorry for the late reply...I haven't been on here in a while but yeah the throttle sleeve came in a while ago. It fits inside the control housing fine and seems to work okay. The stock throttle sleeve has grooves or channels for the cables to ride in, the chinese replacement does not, this kind of worried me at first but after riding with them and snapping the throttle back and releasing it many many times my worries about it went away. Also the chinese throttle sleeve has different dimensions for the stops, I don't remember how far back the throttle will twist with the stock grip sleeve, but the chinese one SEEMS shorter to me. WOT will get me to around 80-90 mph, if I'm climbing a small grade at 85+mph, my speed will drop the around 80. Does that sound right to you? I only weigh 150 lbs so I would assume it wouldn't have any trouble sustaining top speed...I didn't really test top speed before hand though. Also, I installed heated grips on the chinese throttle sleeve and the fitment was pretty darn tight, not sure if that bad boy is ever going to come off...I didnt even need to use the supplied glue to install the heated grip because the plastics pretty much fused together from tapping the grip onto the sleeve. LOL

Here are some pics I took of the throttle sleeve when I was fitting them, the white one is the OEM one, the  black one is the chinese replacement.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:50:20 AM by DiscoPotato »

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 09:20:44 AM »
Hey, thanks for the pics.

I probably will go with the ACTIVE throttle tube. I better double check the dimensions of the original cam & the clearance inside the cover of that cam so I can try to fit a new tube with a bigger cam for the quick throttle action.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
Hey, thanks for the pics.

I probably will go with the ACTIVE throttle tube. I better double check the dimensions of the original cam & the clearance inside the cover of that cam so I can try to fit a new tube with a bigger cam for the quick throttle action.

Sounds good, let me know how it goes!

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »
My ACTIVE throttle tube arrived. I ordered the model with a 40mm cam for a quick action throttle tube.

First of all the specs are different from  the original throttle tube, the cam is substantially larger plus the diameter of the cam without the hock in points is larger than what the throttle housing can take. Trimming had to be made.

Even that, the top of the housing still wont close, so I had to hardwire the bottom of the housing to the bars to keep that locator pin in place so it doesn't move around.

Anyways, it's not the ideal installation, but it works.

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 04:30:52 AM »
I wrap a semi-clean rag around the grip to be changed and pour boiling water over it...
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()