Author Topic: Headlight halogen to LED conversion.  (Read 6260 times)

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
Re: Headlight halogen to LED conversion.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
I managed to squeeze in the led bulbs but I an not convinced they are 'locked' in.

I still can't find the notch in which the 3 tabs sit in, maybe because the tabs on my led bulbs are plastic and slightly thicker.

But anyways, here are the 2 pics before and after.

The led bulbs seem to have a dark spot right in front of the bike but has much better light spread.

Have you tried adjusting the headlight aim? There's horizontal and vertical adjustments behind the headlight assembly. You need to remove the entire front end to get to it though. It's really no big deal, takes maybe 20 minutes to do. I'm using the Cyclops adventure sports led bulbs, I use them on all my bikes. Don't buy the chinese knock off's, get the original/best! I have them on both the low beam/high beam, big improvement over stock. Where I live the projector is the high beam and the reflector lens is the low beam. Here's what the low beam look like. I'll try to get some pics of the high beam projector, and both of them on at the same time. It really lights up everything in front of you. My only complain is that the high beam no longer has a hot spot for seeing at long distances, it's now a very crisp flood light.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 04:29:40 PM »
That looks good. Yes I have adjusted them vertically, but I am unaware there were adjustable horizontally.

Btw, how did you disassemble the front end?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 12:32:12 AM »
You have to remove the windshield and the plastic trim underneath it along with some screws and nuts. Check out this thread http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=10361.0
The pictures show which ones you need to remove, make sure you remove the correct ones as shown, once you do that it takes a little bit of tugging to pull the front end off since they're locked into tabs. Actually I think you're right, there may only be vertical adjustment for the low/high beams. Here's a pic of the headlight assembly from the back. The silver piece with the phillips indent is the piece you rotate to adjust, each low beam and high beam has one next to the corresponding one it adjusts. And to answer your question in your original post, there is a rubber cover behind the headlight bulb which i'm sure you know of by now, I'm able to stuff the ballast and everything inside and pop the rubber cover back on with the cyclops adventure bulbs, not sure how large the other ones on the market are.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »
For me my LEDs have the newer ballasts which is incorporated into the butt of the unit. I also left the rubber cover off for the fan to draw cool air to the unit.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 03:18:45 PM »
For me my LEDs have the newer ballasts which is incorporated into the butt of the unit. I also left the rubber cover off for the fan to draw cool air to the unit.

I did the same as you ,.  de dee

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 09:15:15 AM »
De dee, have you noticed with those rubber covers off, after riding thru a monsoon, the headlights fog up on the inside.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 07:10:08 PM »
I am in Canada we don't get monsoons,.  unless you live on the coast, east and west,.  so no fog here ,.  but we have 40 below O,.    Cel. or F.   same temp.   coldest we have so far 27 below C.., this month will be our coldest time of the year,.   coldest I have seen is 60 below O  F.    or -54  C.,   

bpt323

• View Profile
    • clubprotege
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 08:59:55 AM »
free bump to this thread. im looking to upgrade both low & high beams

happen to know if the high beam is the same as the low beam? h8 socket?

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 09:24:29 AM »
Yes, they are all H8s.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 10:08:03 PM »
Have the xenon in the low beams for years, brighter than stock.
On a whim, I ordered  2 LED (Sirius LED H8 Size DRL Fog lite, projection bulb) to replace the useless high beams.   Well, the body of the LED bulb is too fat for the black mounting bracket. 
Would have to cut/drill the black mounting bracket, have not decided if I want to go that route or not.

Duh ,,, on me.
The bulb I got was for a projection fog lite.  It already has the lens encapsulated for a projector.   This made it too large for the black mounting bracket.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:55:26 PM by wheels »
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

ModChiP

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 10:35:57 PM »
can anybody recommend a low beam led, that lock like halogen?

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 01:41:34 AM »
HID's definately have a larger base on the bulb, that would explain why it won't fit.  Go with the current spec LEDs bulbs instead.

Have the xenon in the low beams for years, brighter than stock.
On a whim, I ordered  2 LED (Sirius LED H8 Size DRL Fog lite, projection bulb) to replace the useless high beams.   Well, the body of the LED bulb is too fat for the black mounting bracket. 
Would have to cut/drill the black mounting bracket, have not decided if I want to go that route or not.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 01:44:03 AM »
I am assuming when you want a halogen look, you want the colour temperature of the LED to be 3200K?

For LEDs I do not think they come in that colour range, in between yes (above and below), but not there.

can anybody recommend a low beam led, that lock like halogen?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 04:08:25 PM »
  I gave up on H 8 LED,S TRYING TO GET BETTER LIGHTING , I went to a cray spot light LED ,and attached it to the side of the scooter and got much better light spred , for high-way speed,  the Hal. light emits light 360 degrees to reflect light the LED.S ARE MOSTLY 2 SIDED  and do not give that much better light , hopefully some one will design a better light reflector for LED bulbs

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
Is there a wattage problem with these LED lamps? Lokk a little high.

I forgot about this thread. Looked at this light claim and it is questionable like all LED headlamp products. Lumens and watts do not concur and no current values given to confirm. Mostly poor syntax skills describing how great the product is.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:51:19 AM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()