Author Topic: rattling from rear end?  (Read 1329 times)

sumdawgtwigg

• View Profile
rattling from rear end?
« on: September 18, 2016, 12:54:12 AM »
I'm looking at buying a 04 venox and it runs great, rides great, but there is a loud chattering rattling sound coming from the rear of the bike. I'm assuming it's chain or sprocket noise but wanted to get some advice from some more informed people. I don't mind dropping a little cash to fix simple issues but I want to be sure it's not something major if possible.

max oradea

• View Profile
Re: rattling from rear end?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 06:56:08 AM »
As long its not an engine issue should be ok, best way to tell is to cost in neutral. could be plastic or the wheel alignment plates are not tight. Chain and sprocket not a big deal, might just need to take out the chain slack. chain should have 2.5cm slack.
see if the sprocket are hooking or check if the chain tension adjuster is maxed out.

Good luck.

sumdawgtwigg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »
I'm almost 100% sure it's not coming from the engine. The guy lives on a dirt road so he chain and rear wheel were filthy. Chain had quite a bit of play in it. When I test rode it, I would pull in the clutch and coast to a stop and it would still make the noise. I'm checking out a couple of other bikes today but if I go back to this one I'm going to check the things you mentioned. i appreciate it.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 08:44:57 AM »
The chain might just need a good clean, how many on the clock? check that the plastic shock covers are not cracked or that the sound is not coming from the metal shock covers.

adri

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle News, Reviews, Events, Roads, and Rides
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 05:35:55 PM »
I'd put money on it being the chain or license plate loose and clanging.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()