Author Topic: 2002 Starting issues: Motor or Clutch?  (Read 1578 times)

gd420mj

• View Profile
2002 Starting issues: Motor or Clutch?
« on: September 13, 2016, 05:53:12 PM »
Hi Now People 150 Forum.

I've some strange issues with my 2002 People 150. Its been sitting a year, and after some cleaning and a new battery, it runs absolutely fine and starts fine when motor spins.

So with a known good battery (and a jump from car), when I hit the start button, occasionally, the starter will not turn. It will attempt to turn and stall. Release and re-try and it may or may spin. But when it does, scooter starts fine. And kick starts work too.

I removed the starter motor and opened it up for inspection. (I am ex dc motor engineer). Comm and brushes looked good. No visible burns or arcing. Bar-Bar resistance was same. No shorts to ground. No burn oder. I did notice it felt like the bushings where tight for the motor. The armature took some force to rotate. (beyond cogging force). However, I don't have much means to test the motor under load except in scooter.

I also tried bypassing the starter relay, and put 12V directly to motor. It also hesitated so I ruled out bad relay.

I don't know anything about this starter clutch. Could this be causing the motor to stall. I read other places about oil. IS this in oil? Should I change the oil?

I have the service manual and have gone through all the troubleshooting. And faulty starter clutch is one reason for starting motor not turning. I don't want to access the clutch.

Thanks SO much!

oh, I have a video of the behavior, I could post that.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:55:13 PM by gd420mj »

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Starting issues: Motor or Clutch?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »
Hi Now People 150 Forum.

I've some strange issues with my 2002 People 150. Its been sitting a year, and after some cleaning and a new battery, it runs absolutely fine and starts fine when motor spins.

So with a known good battery (and a jump from car), when I hit the start button, occasionally, the starter will not turn. It will attempt to turn and stall. Release and re-try and it may or may spin. But when it does, scooter starts fine. And kick starts work too.

I removed the starter motor and opened it up for inspection. (I am ex dc motor engineer). Comm and brushes looked good. No visible burns or arcing. Bar-Bar resistance was same. No shorts to ground. No burn oder. I did notice it felt like the bushings where tight for the motor. The armature took some force to rotate. (beyond cogging force). However, I don't have much means to test the motor under load except in scooter.

I also tried bypassing the starter relay, and put 12V directly to motor. It also hesitated so I ruled out bad relay.

I don't know anything about this starter clutch. Could this be causing the motor to stall. I read other places about oil. IS this in oil? Should I change the oil?

I have the service manual and have gone through all the troubleshooting. And faulty starter clutch is one reason for starting motor not turning. I don't want to access the clutch.

Thanks SO much!

oh, I have a video of the behavior, I could post that.
Does the problem occur when either brake levers are pulled?
There is switch behind each lever that prevents the starter engaging when the lever is not pulled. There should be a slight click when the lever is pulled.

I had problems with the left ( rear brake),  hesitation,  or sometimes nothing. The front brake lever was ok.
Agility City 125

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 12:30:58 AM »
I suspected the brake lever switch as well. Try using a different side brake than you normally do and see if that helps.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

gd420mj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 03:29:29 PM »
Hi. THanks y'all. No it is not a brake lever switch. It happens if I apply 12v directly to starting motor. bypassing all wiring.

I know how clutches work, in general, but I don't understand the function of this clutch. Thats why I don't know if it is causing problems. With the starter out of bike, it spins every time no problem. No load however.

I suppose I can go back and check motor mating surface for clean ground connection.

For some reason, motor is "Stalling" when commanded. All voltage levels for motor command are good.

I supposed there still could be a problem in the motor. I did not measure brush length. I did not clean the commutator.

I still suspect the clutch.

IS the clutch in Gear or Motor oil?

Thanks so much!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()