Author Topic: Not starting zx 50  (Read 2325 times)

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
Not starting zx 50
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »
This is going to be a long post but I want to give as much info as possible so bare with me. Scooter has been sitting for 3-4 years it's fully de-restricted and up until now had only CDI issues with it. The oil feed popped off the carb so I needed a head & piston. Seemed straightforward so I installed it w/o researching much. Tried to start it and it won't even pop. Beforehand I emptied old gas from tank put new gas in and ran it through the overflow valve in the carb. Pulled the carb apart looked clean and free moving, blew through all the holes. Looked at the reeds and looked ok, blew through them (not both ways, seem to seal). It's the only set of reeds I've ever dealt with so I have nothing to compare them to. I'm getting spark, not strong spark but getting spark. I have a spare CDI and even swapped those. Seems like it's not getting gas, plug is dry. I even manually choked with my hand, gas sprayed through my fingers. All I know for sure is gas is getting to the bowl. Muffler is off not sure if that matters (I'm guessing it doesn't matter). I don't have a compression tester but judging by the kickstart resistance it seems OK. I'm very mechanically inclined if a bit rusty. I would be greatful for any help you seasoned ZXers can give me.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Not starting zx 50
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:52:17 PM »
Reattach the exhaust then try and restart. 2t`s don`t like running without the exhaust on due to lack of back pressure.
 Does it sound like it wants to start when you Kick it or press the starter

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:15:45 PM »
I'm thinking it should at least want to start w/o the exhaust, it won't even pop. I blocked off the carb with my hand while cranking it over and the plug is dry.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:44:41 PM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 12:06:33 AM »
Okay so Fuel is going from the Tank to the carb correct(gas comes out of the drain hole at the bottom yes?). But it is not going from the Carb to the Cylinder? Maybe your jets are clogged or you have a bad Auto Bystarter
Here is the Manuel for help.
 http://www.49ccscoot.com/manuals/Kymco_ZX_Service_Manual.pdf

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 01:58:37 AM »
Most if not all of your questions and remedies were covered in my first post. Regardless, thank you for trying.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:12:57 AM »
I found my compression tester and it's reading 60 PSI. I'd like to double check it with another tester. Does anyone know what parts will cross with a SC10? It's been awhile since I bought parts.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 06:08:06 PM »
I'm posting this at the risk of looking dumb but live and learn. What I neglected to post in the first post was the head and piston were bought and put together 3 years ago. The demands of work halted the project there so I oiled the head and it sat. Put the head on recently with the piston installed in it for three years already. Frustrated at the low compression I decided to start the project from scratch...to make a long story short when I got to the rings the were stuck. Soaking in gas as I type.

Updates to follow.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 06:17:21 PM »
With new rings the ever dependable ZX50 fired right up. I just ordered mirrors from Amazon and they'll be here 2morrow I'll let you know how those worked out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZ27K6I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()