Author Topic: POR 15 fuel tank repair kit  (Read 676 times)

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
POR 15 fuel tank repair kit
« on: September 06, 2016, 05:04:26 AM »
Just in case some of you have a rusty fuel tank and want to repair it.

There are similar product like Kreem, Red Kote, but I read a lot of good reviews about POR 15 so decided to use it.

Had a rusty tank on my Kawasaki KLV1000 which is completely the same as a Suzuki V-Strom 1000. It was sold only in Europe for 2 years in 2004 and 2005.

The rust clogged my high pressure filter and the bike started running rough above 5000 rpm, so took the tank off and it looked pretty bad.

POR 15 is a 3 step kit.

we use Marine Clean that dissolves fuel residue and some rust. It has to be mixed with 1 liter of very warm water. Close all opening on the tank and shake for at lest 20 minutes. Not as easy as it sounds, belive me! After that we pour it out and rinse with water.

Pour in the bottle of Metal ready. It's a phosphorus acid that cleans the rust and prepares the tank for the last step. The tank has to be put in various positions so that covers the whole tank. It shouldn't stay in the tank for more than 2 hours.

Looked much better after step 2.

3.Before putting in the Tank Sealer the tank has to be 100% dry because sealer will start to harden immediately when in contact with water. Dried the tank with a hair drier for more than 1 hour.

Taped up the visible part of the tank.

The Sealer must be stirred, not shaken (James Bond wouldn't approve   ;D  ) until the color is uniform, after that we pour it in the tank. It's extremely viscous liquid that forms a thin, but very tough coat. The tank must be rolled in every direction until everything is coated. All excess liquid must be taken out, and a lot of did come out! I used a syringe with a plastic tube to do that.

While it was still coating

It must dry for at least 96 hours.

The result

I did this in 2011.

In 2013 I removed the fuel pump to take a look. The discoloration is from fuel.

In 2015 I took another look. There is some fuel left inside

This is a really good product, and I can recommend it to anybody with a rusty tank. The procedure must be followed exactly! It does take time. It took me about 4.5 hours for start to finish.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:17:40 AM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()