Author Topic: HOW CAN I RUN S8 WITHOUT BATTERY  (Read 3732 times)

Amaro321

• View Profile
HOW CAN I RUN S8 WITHOUT BATTERY
« on: September 04, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »
So every problem in running into is related to the "stator" and today the S8 cut off on me. Dead. I had to run a portable charger to get her back home :/ so my Question is how can I run the bike so it won't rely on battery. My old Honda 150f was just kick start... What am i missing? Is it a 2stroke vs 4 stroke thing?..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pelican

• View Profile
Re: HOW CAN I RUN S8 WITHOUT BATTERY
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:34:38 PM »
Is the battery not charging, have you tried charging it, if not buy another battery, or as you said you don't want to run it with a battery, the kickstarter is all you need, turn the key to "on" and use the kickstarter, it should start but it's pretty difficult sometimes, good luck.

Amaro321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:53:51 AM »
See, I thought the S8 would be reliable thinking it would stay on once on... I was very disappointed when it shut off mid trip with the battery connected. So my question is what would cause the bike to die?

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »
Had a similar problem on my Agility City 125.
At one point the electric starter couldn't turn over, used the kick start, and that worked for a short time. Found a blown fuse, changed it, but the problem persisted. Eventually left me a few km from home. 
Turned out the regulator/rectifier was fried. That's why the fuse blew.

No electricity, so the lights and CDI worked for a short time until the battery was drained.
Agility City 125

tjupille

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:55:32 PM »
Search FleaBay for "motorcycle battery eliminator". These are basically honking big capacitors that you wire in place of the battery.

On a side note, if the battery is really dead, kickstarting becomes difficult because the dead batt sucks up so much current that you don't get a decent spark (ask me how I learned this!).

Pelican

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 08:22:56 PM »
Does the entire shut off while in idle, for no real reason, do all the electrics cut off too or does just the engine shut down, because as a bike ages it'll do it occasionally like with mine, generally right after a gas fill up, if you stop hard or something, or maybe all the gas isn't being burned before stopping so it's choking the carb, the electrical system shouldn't cause your bike to die because these scooters are fairly simple, maybe your CDI is going bad, order a new one from kymco because an after market one can damage your engine, so what exactly does it do, what does it feel like before is dies?

Amaro321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 01:31:05 AM »
Well the Scooter was running normally and suddenly began sputtering almost as if was running out of gas, but instead of the power "fading" into an engine stall, it just putt putted and shut off, then i turned the key and no power nothing I knew the battery was bad but dang.

Amaro321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 01:32:16 AM »
Also, I had recently replaced my headlights (not realizing that the sock bulbs were 35w while all h4 bulbs in walmart are 55/60w

Pelican

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 08:30:42 PM »
The bulbs aren't designed to drain your battery and with the way motorcycles and scooters work these days, the lights only come on and stay on when the engine is running so the power is generally supplied by the engines power and not the battery, what your issue sounds like is with the engine, you may have a vacuum line leak, check your valves, clean your carb with some seafoam through your gas lines, because I've had a similar issue to yours, but in your case your bike dies and you don't have a battery to restart it with utterly stranding you, your CDI, Carb, Vacuum lines, Air Filter, and Valves are what you need to check, and if your scooter sits for a while without being driven then gas cleaner will clean out the ethanol.

Amaro321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 08:38:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice and replies. It seems to run with a battery from a smaller scooter. I'll try the battery first. Since the engine feels sound

Pelican

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 04:57:25 AM »
I wish you the best of luck, and remember to be positive cause I swear my scooter can since my negativity, I've gotten stuck places a few times by engine issues like yours. :/

Amaro321

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 11:40:38 PM »
[emoji53] the sad part is, I've believed this before reading your post... The more upset or unhappy I seem with it,....well you know....

Pelican

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »
Think of your scooter as if it is your pet, they feel crumby when you do, they can sense your negativity, so maybe so can your scooter. :D

Amaro321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 03:50:04 AM »
I just spent the $65 and bought a new battery, three words - worth every penny. Now she starts on the first push every time and lights Don't dim  [emoji4]

Pelican

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »
That's great! I'm happy for you bro, and just for future measures maybe you should invest in a voltmeter from trail tech, they're a little pricy but they're the best and rated for wether "wkreps" is a user here on the forum and he has videos on how to install it, well similar meters, but you can mount it up on your dash and it'll give you warnings before your battery gets too low on a charge.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()