Author Topic: just bought used scooter  (Read 4509 times)

vincewonk

• View Profile
just bought used scooter
« on: August 31, 2016, 03:22:12 AM »
Hi Guys, Let me introduce my self.
I'm Vincent, Indonesian but live in Seoul, South Korea now.
I just bought 2009 Dink 200i (that's how they call yager here).
This is my 3rd Kymco, always own Kymco scooter before.

The engine runs really smooth, the odometer right now 11.000miles.

But i have several problems with my scooter:

1. It seems i have problem after the Kymco service center changed my spark plug into Denso, i forgot the series. but it seems its non resistor type. i remember after i changed my spark plug, the engine light come up several times. or is it normal to have engine light come up several times after i ask them to check with kymco diagnostic tool? And it runs rough after i change my spark plug. if i accelerate hard, it will cough, bogged down and it seems it will stall. sometimes the engine light come up too.

I changed new air filter, i cleaned up the throttle body. actually if i normally pull the throttle, everything works fine. I already order NGK iridium DPR7EIX-9 for this scooter and i will change it by myself after i get my plug wrench. i don't have the plug wrench 18mm for this scooter.

Is it caused by spark plug? this is my first injection scooter. I no longer ride my scooter right now because of this problem.

2. When i start the engine, it starts but after engine turn on it makes weird sound "kerrrrrrrrrrr" for 2 seconds. I think this is my starter clutch is it?

3. when i removed my speedometer to cleaned up the speedometer plastic cover, it seems it also reset my ECU. after i plugged it back, the CELP light plugged in several times. is it correct? i thought only removing batteries reset the ECU.

I changed my front pulley, belt, new tire front and rear with Pirelli Diablo Scooter. So far this is a really good scooter, i can goes up to 75mph.
We can't go to highway here, so its pretty decent scooter for medium distance touring.
I plan to ride from Seoul to Jeju which basically i ride all the way from the north to the south of the country. That's why i prepared everything.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: just bought used scooter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:43:09 AM »
Hello and welcome to the circus@:-)
Per your owner's manual what plug should be in your scooter. ..and per your dealer service receipt what plug is in there now?

You seem to have a few issues all together.
How was everything when you first brought it home?

One problem at a time: reason for change...what was changed...and the result?

You say it runs good and smooth - except when you accelerate hard?
Starter hanging up for a few seconds....new problem not seen by kymco service center?

Scooter is now throwing CELP codes?
What code?
Break down your biggest concern..please.
Folks here and your Kymco service will help you get back on your scooter.
Regards from Ohio.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 02:54:28 PM »
Welcome, Vince! I used to have a Yager and it is a great scoot. Would still be riding it but dear wife INSISTED I get a new bike so we got for me a Downtown 300! Stig has started you on the right trail. This forum bunch should have you going for your trip very quickly!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

vincewonk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 03:31:02 AM »
Hello and welcome to the circus@:-)
Per your owner's manual what plug should be in your scooter. ..and per your dealer service receipt what plug is in there now?

I just replace with new DPR7EIX-9 NGK Iridium spark plug. and so far so good, its so much different compared to previous spark plug Denso X24ES-U. the idle are much better, and the problem is gone so far. The colour of previous spark plug looks only black and it have a lot of carbon residue around.

You seem to have a few issues all together.
How was everything when you first brought it home?

everything is fine when i drive it home, except some hesitation when i try to accelerate harder.

One problem at a time: reason for change...what was changed...and the result?

You say it runs good and smooth - except when you accelerate hard?
Starter hanging up for a few seconds....new problem not seen by kymco service center?

when i bring it to service center, it works fine. It's intermittent problem.

Scooter is now throwing CELP codes?
What code?

The light will come up several times, but i forgot to count it.
next time it will appear i will start to count how many times it blinking.
I just read how to clear the error code. i will try to do it when i got home.

Break down your biggest concern..please.
Folks here and your Kymco service will help you get back on your scooter.
Regards from Ohio.
Stig

I don't know why, but finding a spark plug with resistor are so difficult here in korea.
I know injection engine needs spark plug with resistor.
Yeah sorry if its confusing hahaha, i have problem with explaining something.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:35:50 AM by vincewonk »

vincewonk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 03:34:32 AM »
Welcome, Vince! I used to have a Yager and it is a great scoot. Would still be riding it but dear wife INSISTED I get a new bike so we got for me a Downtown 300! Stig has started you on the right trail. This forum bunch should have you going for your trip very quickly!

Karl

I already try this scooter for almost 200miles trip, surprisingly it's pretty stable for small scooter. I like how i can use this scooter for daily commuting and short distance touring. Downtown was just too big for my daily commuting in Seoul. Traffic sucks here, especially in gangnam area. They will release G Dink with 300cc engine from downtown, maybe i will switch to a new scooter when it's released 6 months later. I just missed scooter so much and i got Dink 200i for cheap, so i just bought one.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 12:35:37 AM »
We have seen some videos of Far East city traffic so we can "get" how crazy it is!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 02:44:16 AM »
Man, this whole thread is making me jealous. Really miss my old Yager.

- Wolf

vincewonk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 08:34:02 AM »
Man, this whole thread is making me jealous. Really miss my old Yager.

- Wolf

i almost bought kymco downtown 300i. but after i rent downtown 300i and dink 125 for a week. Try to ride it around town, do some short distance touring outside town (150-200miles). Such a shame i can't find Dink with 300cc engine. I like dink more because its compact size and the stability when i go outside of town wasn't that bad. Somehow for me, Dink feels so much better. Ergonomic wise for me.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »
If the Yager/Dink was a real 200i instead of 173 cc, it would be a real screamer!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »
So true. When I had my Yager I had taken her on a few highway trips were she held her own doing 65-68 while on the border of the Redline. I really do miss the flat running boards.

- Wolf

carrielsal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 05:25:13 PM »
@Vincent - Now that you're had this scooter for a month, how is it performing? I'm looking at a 2009 Yager with only 3000 miles listed on Craigslist for my daughter. I haven't gone to see it yet, but it looks like a nice scooter. The seller is asking $1600, but I'm thinking it's probably one with $1100. When I see bikes or scooters several years old with low mileage, it sounds like a bike that sat in the garage most of the time and probably had zero maintenance.

Thanks,
Carrie
2009 People 250s
Sedici saddlebags
DIY Yeti holder

vincewonk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 09:23:12 AM »
@Vincent - Now that you're had this scooter for a month, how is it performing? I'm looking at a 2009 Yager with only 3000 miles listed on Craigslist for my daughter. I haven't gone to see it yet, but it looks like a nice scooter. The seller is asking $1600, but I'm thinking it's probably one with $1100. When I see bikes or scooters several years old with low mileage, it sounds like a bike that sat in the garage most of the time and probably had zero maintenance.

Thanks,
Carrie

hi, sorry for late reply...

It performed really well. Except its not fast enough for highway hahaha. I reach 75mph for my top speed. I changed some parts and now it runs like a champ.
In the end, i changed ignition coil because sometimes my yager hesitate to go faster when i try to to overtake.
This scooter are awesome, except for awful rear suspension. it's too harsh.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 03:28:30 PM »
Yeah, I never really noticed the difference in the suspension of my Yager until I rode my Downtown. What was once a jolting bump on an unavoidable road feature is barely felt on the DT. Still, I’d go for a Yager as a second scoot if given the chance.

-Wolf

RASTAVIPER

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 05:40:24 AM »
hi, sorry for late reply...

It performed really well. Except its not fast enough for highway hahaha. I reach 75mph for my top speed. I changed some parts and now it runs like a champ.
In the end, i changed ignition coil because sometimes my yager hesitate to go faster when i try to to overtake.
This scooter are awesome, except for awful rear suspension. it's too harsh.
120klm/h ??
I guess you have a tuned Yager, as I have never seen more than 110 at mine and I am not having issues pushing my bike to the limits.
Also other users mention around 65-68mph.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
oil filter what # for Hi-Flo filter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 08:59:04 PM »
 dose a yager use Hi- Flo filters and what is the #

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()