Author Topic: First scooter  (Read 4536 times)

Debbiemtl

• View Profile
First scooter
« on: August 27, 2016, 07:02:05 PM »
Hi,

I am a new scooter rider. 49 years old and I just bought my first scooter kymco agility 50. Day 3.

I am discouraged. I dropped it today while stoped :(

Breaking and stopping is harder than riding!

It is fun when I get going but how long does it take to get the hang of riding?

Also I am 5ft 4 so both feet don't touch the ground, is this ok?

Debbie

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: First scooter
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »
Welcome to two wheel riding,.   I started out with a 300iCC downtown at 78 years old,,.  first thing take a riding coarse ,.  after 20 years of not riding that's what I did

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 10:48:11 PM »
Absolutely agree. The MSF course is worth doing!
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:07:55 PM »
I highly recommend the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course too.  Also, when you stop have a routine, I always put my left foot down, like most motorcycle riders do.  Hopefully, someone your size will chime in and give some suggestions.  Good luck.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 11:34:27 PM »
Welcome to the scooter world Debbie! Don't be discouraged, the joy of riding outweighs the learning curve. I got my first scooter about a year ago at 57 years old. I love riding. It is so much more fun than a car. It is true, low speed riding is harder than cruising, but stick with it, it will come. The MSF course is a great idea. Keep posting. We would love to hear of your progress.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 10:18:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum!!! Just started riding about a year and half ago at age 45. Like everything else, the more you do it, the more comfortable and better you get at it. Almost drove into my neighbors fence, the first time I got on a scooter. Now I drive my Downtowm 300 more than my suv. Practice,practice!!! I too, just recently took the MSF course . It's a good course, but I would put some miles on the agility and get comfortable, before you go try to ride a motorcycle with a manual transmission and a clutch. Ride the scoot, every chance you get and it becomes second nature too you. Ride safe and don't get discouraged..

-Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »
Welcome.
Some find that thick rubber soled  boots help you touch at stops.
I put some 200 miles on my scooter in a school and church parking lots before going onto neighborhood streets (25mph streets)
Take the riding class....you'll ride 20+ miles in a parking lot over two days and will learn and become much more comfortable on two wheels.
You are NOT the first 49 yr old, shorter newbie rider the instructers have taught to ride  !!!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 03:30:01 PM »
Since you can't touch both feet down at once, like someone else suggested, get used to always stopping and putting the same one foot down. Most right handed people are most comfortable putting their left foot down. You can also have your seat cut down so both feet will touch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

forkintheroad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 01:05:55 PM »
Don't let it get you down and don't give up. I suffered a skinned up knee within my first couple of weeks, but after you learn good habits (as everyone says, take a course available in your area) and keep practicing, you'll build up your awareness. You'll be amazed how aware of things you are compared to riding in a car. It's worth it, if it were only for that. Have fun scooting.

Debbiemtl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 05:01:20 PM »
Thanks Everyone ! Day 5, I have been out everyday. I am trying to find a course here in Quebec Canada similiar to what has been suggested on this site. Is it a motorcycle course that you have taken or a Scooter course ? So far all I have found here is a Scooter course designed to get a license if you do not already have a drivers license....I will continue to look.

Driving has been pretty good, still struggling with the stopping, I think I break too hard.

Left foot down, is working well for me, I am able to place my left foot just about flat when stopped....and I have not dropped my bike in 2 days LOL.

Thanks for the encouragement

Debbie

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
Hi! And welcome to the forum!

As Stig mentioned earlier good footwear is essential. Regarding braking, make sure you use both brakes at the same time. Think of your brakes like a lever, use the outer lengths of the grips for more power, smoothness and steady control. This could mean squeezing (not grabbing) more with your pinky and ring fingers on both hands, while your middle and index fingers maintain a steady grip. 70% of your braking power comes form your front (right) brake, but use them together in almost all circumstances. As you become experienced your understanding of brake dynamics will get better and more seasoned.

In the absence of a safety class I highly suggest reading David L. Hough's Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well. Though written for motorcycles riding all of the advice (save the parts on clutch and shifting) can be applied to all 2-wheeled vehicles from cruisers, to scooters and mopeds.

https://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1620081199

Also, like Stig mentioned, parking lot practice can go a long way to improving your skills and confidence.

(You may not need all of these, but the more the merrier)

http://battleycycles.blogspot.com/2013/05/parking-lot-practice-guide-introduction.html

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=194

http://idahostar.org/resources/practice-guide

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_improve_my_riding_skills._What_exercises_can_I_do%3F

For me, the single most important skills for new riders - Be hyper aware of your surroundings, and look down the road to where you want to go. Don't look (down) at the road, look ahead to where you're going. This means looking into your turns as well.

Ride safe, and continue with the updates.

- Wolf 

Debbiemtl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 12:39:30 AM »
Thanks for all the tips :)

I found a motorcycle school that gives Scooter lessons. Had my first class today. Breaking was better by the end of my lesson. Came home tried on my own and did so so on breaking.....I think I might need a shorter scooter, I think I get nervous at stops when it is time to put one foot down or go on my tippy toes.

I am thinking I will wait it out. I am taking 1 hour a week for 3 weeks. I will see how I feel after the 3 courses. I did like the scooter I trained on where both my feet were flat on the ground.

My scooter is brand new so I kinda don't want to trade it in yet.

I am enjoying this forum and enjoying learning to scoot.

Debbie ;)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 03:17:25 AM »
Glad to hear you're taking a class. Yeah, it sounds like your scooter may be too high for you. All roads are different, not to mention hazards like construction plates, slippery white lines and arrows, road gravel, oil ice, and pot holes can be a challenge even for riders who can reach the ground. 

Even if your scooter is brand knew you may be able to trade it in for a more compatible model.

- Wolf

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 05:00:48 AM »
I suggest being patient. In the class I took , I was on a baby 50 cc. But the methods applied to the much larger scooter that I owned. Once I learned the proper technique, I practiced it over and over. To be honest, coming to a smooth, controlled stop on a consistent basis took time and practice. But the technique was learned in class. PROPER Practice builds confidence over time. In my class, we learned panic stopping near the end. That's what helped me to keep the scooter upright.
2009 Xciting 250

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
Our local health centre has a large car park with 3 junctions and a roundabout. It's also empty at the weekend.

Never having ridden a scooter before i spent a couple of hours practicing slow riding and junction approaches as well as going round and round the roundabout in both directions (roundabouts are also great for scrubbing in tyres quickly btw)

I then plonked the missus in the back and had a few practice sessions with her on pillion. It's all about feeling comfortable with the bike and I'd rather screw it up in a car park than at a busy junction

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()