Author Topic: Rain & White Lines !!  (Read 3762 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Rain & White Lines !!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »
Good point, h2ou8n4. I had a crash where my front wheel slip out out on a frozen manhole cover. Half if its surface was polished smooth from years of traffic wear.

- Wolf

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »
Riding is about focusing and wet weather riding is no exception. With that being said one also shouldn't fear riding in rain. Motorcycle tires are very grippy and stable on wet roads. Some will avoid riding in rain at all costs and get a death grip when caught out in the wet stuff. Helps to keep rain gear on board the bike which doubles as an extra later when cold. Don't forget those waterproof mitts to go over your gloves too. For the trepidatious type don't forget your water wings.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »
Dan, it's not that m/c tires don't grip well in the wet, but it's that shiny surface that's so intimidating. Makes one afraid to lean much. I rode three days in the mountains, in rain, with a group that didn't seem to notice or care about it. Thankfully, I was riding sweep and so had a lot of catching up to do on the straights, but as you know, my SW could handle catching up.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »
Im OK with riding in the rain, but like most, I take it REAL easy on the turns and when stopping. The more wet it gets, the smoother my riding becomes.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 11:35:16 PM »
I could go on and on about slippery stuff...It's easy to spot tyro or untrained riders...they ride right in the middle of the lane where all manner of goop drips out of vehicles, especially at intersections. Mind your lane position when riding and your foot position when coming to a stop...you could short-leg in a pothole or slip on some tranny fluid.
When you're feeling mighty low
like your better days are past
Just take a ride in your underwear
and you'll feel better fast!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 01:32:50 AM »
Im OK with riding in the rain, but like most, I take it REAL easy on the turns and when stopping. The more wet it gets, the smoother my riding becomes.
Yep,

S M O O T H  is how Stirling Moss won so many in the wet.
Long ago when commuting to work in Mass. on my Honda in all weathers - I wore a Bell helmet with the clip-on white bill like my fav. F1 guys did. Smooth Mr. Tom, think smoooth on this stuff.
Only had a 'moment' when rounding a corner in January and a dadgum street cleaner had sprayed water right there.
My only experience dirt tracking....on the ice he left behind.
Wonder what tires Honda put on bikes in the 60's ?
Stig
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:47:00 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »
Really good tips about paint, man hole covers, fluids, rail road tracks etc when riding in the rain. And further how critical the road condition is in the first 15 min of the rain as vehicle oils haven't gotten washed away yet. As veteran riders these things we learn about and share and hopefully help bring about a heightened awareness of wet riding.

I mentioned the fear factor some have in riding in the rain, not for the experienced rider but for the newbie perhaps lurking and learning on this forum. I wanted to dispel any fears of riding in the rain as it's safe and quite doable on a scooter. Some places like the NW are so wet that if you wait for a pretty day to ride you may be in for a very long wait.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 02:32:08 AM »
Dan, if every road was 100% straight, rain wouldn't bother me a bit. Twisties are an adventure to get my blood pumping, in the dry. Buttttt, in the rain those same twisties, with their shinny little curves, can be down right unnerving. I've slid down a few times, trying to act like they didn't bother me. If we ever have the good fortune to ride some pretty mountain roads together and it starts raining, you take the lead and and I'll catch up to you on the straights. lol

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 04:38:19 AM »
I won't ride in the rain or snow any longer.
Considering that my protective gear is a Hawaii shirt, shorts, and flip flops, I watch closely for sand or gravel when navigating intersections.
New to scooters, potholes are scary...
redk

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 05:21:01 AM »
potholes are scary...

Indeed, back in 2005 I hit a square edged pothole on a group ride near Kennedy Meadows that split my front aluminum rim along the centerline on my Burgman 650, that sucked.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 06:22:35 AM »
WoW!
...split on the centerline...

Good thing you are here to talk about it !

I had a rear tire blow out at 0530 before the sun came up on my 74 at moderate speed once.
Handlebars at full lock and what little the front brake was good for I was lucky to get it to the side of the road and put the sidestand down.
Whew !

Also lost a front on a 3 cylinder yamaha After a 100+mph run when I slowed to exit the fwy.  It just flopped onto it's side with one leg under it and one arm stuck under me.  Pretty bad rash from that one. Really coarse asphalt. Took about 10 coffee filters and duct tape to cover that up so I could do my shift, then borrow a truck from work so I could get it home.

My dirtbike crashes have been more spectacular ! 
One, I never even hit the ground and got beat up so bad !
Then I had to pull it down out of the tree I landed in when I flew off the turn on the levee.  lol

I should have paid someone with a camera to follow me around all those years.
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()