Author Topic: Starting issues with a Yager 200i  (Read 3900 times)

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
Re: Starting issues with a Yager 200i
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
Don't rush with the regulator. You have said before your battery voltage rises to 14V when the engine is on idle. That means your regulator is doing its job and charging your battery. However, the 14V is a tad low and is probably the result of the headlights being on. At idle your generator can't produce much juice and your headlamps drain the battery faster than the what your generator replenishes.

Your headlights were my suspect but didn't want to jump the gun yesterday. They should be off by default, no?. Don't you have a separate switch to turn them on/off and another one to switch between high and low beam?
What kind of DVM/meter are using to measure resistances? Most off the shelf ones would struggle at measuring such low resistances we're talking about here. 0.05 Ohms.

I would go around and inspect light switches/wiring harnesses, and continue from there.

i was wrong with .05 ohms.  engine/stator side yellow wires producing .5ohms per spec.

i'm not sure if this scoot turns off headlight?
always on with key since it bought it.

as for the light I would be riding for awhile (7000 rpm) then turn it off then battery fails to restart.
it reads 13.9-14v at idle and reved. never changes. odd? figured it would go up with rpm but always same reading.
even if the front light was draining battery it charged up each night. a drain would not damage 4 batteries in a row, would it?
i have an led bulb for it but think I have other problems?

i'm going to open the front next and check all connections.

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »
Well I got the scooter running again.
I purchased a new starter, reg/rec (updated design with larger heat sink) and starter relay plus a new Yuasa battery.
The new starter turned easier when I do it by hand too.

All parts are Taiwan made, avoid Chinese mainland ones.

She starts strong now and I'm getting 14.25v charging. It was less than 14v before.
Tough to say 100% the issue but I have a consistently strong starting Kymco now.

ps Anyone with a Kymco can probably upgrade to this better reg/rec design.
Bolts right up and seems it fits all FI models.

images and part # here:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/need-help-with-a-kymco-starting-issue.1168819/page-4#post-31626661

jtown

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2022, 03:42:52 AM »
I realize this is an old topic but my Yager got 200i is doing the EXACT same thing. I’ve replaced batteries, the starter and the reg/Rec. can’t seem to find what’s draining the battery. What’s also weird is even with new fully charged batteries after a little while it seems like it can barely turn over the engine even when fully charged. Did you find a solution to this?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2022, 11:26:36 AM »
@jtown, I have to admit being a little bit overwhelmed with this pages of measuring.
Usually in a shop I would start to search in a case like yours, with this.

- full battery test, in your case ok
-all fuses out and new ones in (decorrode prongs)
- disconnect the plug between stator and regulator/ rectifier

pls see link

- measure with multimeter on AC each of this three YELLOW cables from stator during motor running, should be 50-70 volts AC at
cable 1-2, 2-3, 3-1 same voltage on each
-if this shows this amount, your stator is fine

NEXT
-connect this plug from stator to regulator again
-start motor
-let it idle, should be 12.9-13.6 volts DC on your battery
-gas up to 3-4000 rpm, should be around 14.8V
If not, several measures, your regulator is faulty.

Maybe att link helps.

Another culprit might be the minus cable which leads from your battery to your starter motor, there I had a rotten endpiece once on a LIKE 200i.
Maybe check this link beneath too.

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31637.0

If this all comes out positively we have to see into your starter relais.

The one with a red and black plastic cap on it.

If you put jump start cables on your starter directely, what happens?
If it starts happily is either your starter relais faulty or mentioned minus cable rotten, or both.

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31878.0
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:50:53 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()