Author Topic: 2011 Kymco RS50 Agility - BumbleBee  (Read 6893 times)

imaginetheory

• View Profile
2011 Kymco RS50 Agility - BumbleBee
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:09:25 AM »
Apologies if this is in the wrong section - Im new to this forum but not new to scooters. I have been riding since I was legally aloud to and have owned around 30 different scooters over the past four years. Ive had Honda visions (elites and aeros) Honda Melodies (spree?) DirectBikes Tommy (chinese retro) and a few manual bikes too! But Ive always had this thing for scooters, I just enjoy riding them more than I do manual bikes.

Ive had my 2011 Kymco RS50 Agility 4 stroke nicknamed BumbleBee for three months now, but have only had her in my actual possession for one of those months (you'll see why later on in the thread..) I purchased it for the sum of £230 as a runner but impossible to start without jump starting it off of a car!  >:( It needed a MOT too and was far off being able to pass one. I got it home and started on it, I threw in a new battery, starter motor and starter bendix and it fired up first try. Gave it a oil change, Did the valve clearances, changed the belt and put some stupidly light rollers in that I already had on the shelf. It failed the first MOT on the wheel bearings being too rough (i knew about it, was just winging it on the off chance the tester would pass me) but passed on the second test after i had changed the wheel bearings.

Rode it around for a few days (3 days) when I was heading to my first scooter meet with it and I got rear ended by somebody using her phone on the approach to a island.. Got pushed a good few feet before she even attempted to hit her brakes and ended up underneath her car. Somehow the scooter wasn't TOO badly damaged however my insurance company wrote it off as it was the parts were too expensive for them to even consider repairing it. I have damage to my left knee but thank god I can still ride  ;D

Ive just purchased the scooter back off of them after recieving my payment for it and have paid a very small % of what it is actually worth. It needs a new registration plate, A new rear mudguard, Footboard and lower belly panel as well as some paint work and new mirrors, a new exhaust and a new rear shock. Im waiting for the scooter to be delivered back to me when they pick up the hire bike, then I can start with the "mods" that I have planned.

When I first purchased it -

It had been used as a field bike so was FILTHY -

Gave it a real good clean -

It was the day after the last picture was taken when I got rear ended, the road got closed off by the police, The car was lifted off of me and the scooter by bystanders and both me and the scooter dragged from underneath it. That was the last time I saw my BumbleBee. I went off to hospital and the scooter got recovered by my insurance company. I do have the following pictures though..

I was pushed all the way from the zebra crossing in the background to where the car sits there...

In this one you can see where the rear mudguard and reg plate has been pushed in, It actually touches the wheel from what ive been told.

and you can see the damage to footboards here along with my lovely snapped exhaust (at the joint to the silencer)

So my plans for it...
Install a luggage rack and top box (I am a mobile scooter mechanic and need to be able to carry LOTS of tools), LeoVince exhaust, going from 4g to 7g rollers and fitting a kevlar belt. The drive boss and CDI have already been done. I have a few other Ideas in the works (possibly even a engine swap over winter) but Im going to spend some time reading up on the forum on possible improvements.

PaulF

• View Profile
Re: 2011 Kymco RS50 Agility - BumbleBee
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:50:23 AM »
Hi,  Glad you came out all right after being hit.  Hope she received a good punishment for what she did, could have easily turned out a lot worse for you.  Any way welcome to the forum but a first name might help.   :)

Cheers,  Paul

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:37:11 PM »
Hi,  Glad you came out all right after being hit.  Hope she received a good punishment for what she did, could have easily turned out a lot worse for you.  Any way welcome to the forum but a first name might help.   :)

Cheers,  Paul
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be any action taken against her by the police, even though she was using her phone. Eight weeks later they still havent taken the case to the Criminal Prosecution Service, They are extending their investigation and havent added a end date to the file, usually that means that they won't be bothering. Despite the fact the one injury that I do have will affect me for life (Knee). Isn't surprising though, The police dont care much for people on two wheels around here and care more about seizing the bikes than they do anything else.

RS. Corey.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:56:33 PM »
Sorry about that Corey.  I have a real dislike of people using the phone whilst driving, so careless.

Paul

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:25:58 PM »
Some progress.

Got the scooter back today and instantly got started on it.
Gave it a good wash as it was filthy, the black plastics were grey. There was paint marker all over it from where the salvage yard had written on it. The battery was completely flat as they'd left the ignition on since they picked it up. I gave the black plastics a treatment of back to black, will do another tomorrow and another at the weekend so it really soaks into the plastics. Ive fitted new mirrors, they're not the standard ones but they are sorta close. Fitted some 7g roller weights and gave it a check over. Getting a new battery tomorrow hopefully. Im waiting on a luggage rack from a older Agility to arrive so that I can fit my 51l top box (mobile scooter mechanic so need the storage space) and I need to do the valve clearances again at some point. Also have another exhaust to fit to it but need to get some new torx key bits to remove a bolt that a previous owner fitted, will replace the one torx head bolt with a normal bolt.  Here's a picture of it after it having its first clean with my other scooter -

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 02:28:36 PM »
Keep us posted.  Good to see she lives to ride again.   :)

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 02:36:04 PM »
Keep us posted.  Good to see she lives to ride again.   :)
Will do.
Might be purchasing another to use as a donor bike for parts (frame bent beyond repair so has to be stripped and frame destroyed by police to ensure it never gets used on the road again) So Ill be able to keep BumbleBee going for quite some time.

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
Some good news!

The driver of the car who rear ended me was today arrested and charged with causing life changing injuries through careless driving, Operating a handheld device whilst driving a motor vehicle and Breach of the peace (just for shouting at me), She will be going to court soon  :)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 11:24:41 PM »
Great to hear Corey.  Hope she learns a lesson.   :D

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 07:11:22 PM »
Parts are slowly starting to arrive.
The rear rack came today, Just got it on. I need to make a tab and weld it to the rack as the rear centre bolt is just a little bit off but I expected that. Im happy with it anyway.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 03:20:38 AM »
Hey Corey, don't know what part of the UK you are from but have you ever been to the 'Bike Shed cafe'.  I'm a bit of a Charley Boorman fan and was watching this interview and thought what a great place that would be to visit.  https://youtu.be/8rIAo4iDMI4

Paul

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 06:13:04 AM »
Yes, Went there on my old Suzuki DR125  :)

There's quite a few places like that over here, Not usually my thing but it was pretty cool.
If you are ever in the UK, Snake Pass, Devils Pass, Hardnock Pass, The Cat and Fiddle and the Long Mynd are all places you should visit/ride. Beautiful roads and views.

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 08:16:19 AM »
A picture that was taken by one of my customers yesterday, I was there to do a wiring loom swap on a 99 Piaggio Vespa ET4, Unfortunately the loom was the wrong one and I wasn't about to mess about moving the Immobiliser/CDI, Coil etc etc to make it work.

Anyway, this is their scooter, 2Tone Tess with BumbleBee.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 12:59:21 AM »
The chequered front panel looks great.  At least you get to see a good range of bikes and scooters.

Paul

imaginetheory

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 08:02:36 AM »
its definitely a perk of the job. I get to ride a lot of different scooters too. Ive ridden 2Tone Tess a few times, The owners are mods. Here is a side on picture of when I did the Valve Clearances on that one a few weeks ago -

and here it is with the 2016 Honda Vision 50cc I had for two months (you can just see part of it in the background)

Unfortunately its now coming to the time of the year when I will need to take up full time employment in a Warehouse to keep me going over the winter as trade slows down to a near stop. Its almost the end of the riding season here but were still getting some nice weather  8)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()