Author Topic: Need to replace/repair the exhaust on my People 250.  (Read 2909 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Need to replace/repair the exhaust on my People 250.
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:36:01 AM »
What started as a small hairline crack in the pipe (at the very end of the muffler weld, where one of the emission testing holes used to be) suddenly expanded all around it. So now I have an exhaust leak.

It's probably a result of needing to put the exhaust under tension to make the bolt holes line up.

There's a bit of rust and a blob of bronze that filling the fallen off emissions testing port, so I'm not sure if that would interfere with any prospect of welding?

There's a beautiful but expensive aftermarket exhaust:
http://www.partsforscooters.com/190-31-Kymco-People-250-Muffler
But I'm suspicious about the way it seems to want to mount. The best I can figure,  it would hang from those straps from the one top bolt hole on the rear fork. I have my doubts whether that would hold up in the long term. Any thoughts?

Another option would be to try to build a custom exhaust. I think I would mostly need some sort of welder and pipe bender. And I think the mounting hardware looks like it's some kind of stainless rod welded together? It'd probably come out to at least the same amount of money, but at least I'd have a new skill and equipment in case I needed to repair it again.

Thoughts/advice?

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Need to replace/repair the exhaust on my People 250.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:00:01 AM »
I would take it to a local muffler shop still on the bike and see if they can weld it for you. Do not pull the muffler off the bike. If you do, it will create alignment issues. I had the same problem. My muffler pipe separated at the inspection bolt on my People 150. The guy at the shop welded it together on the bike for 25 bucks! It has held for several months now.  If it works it is a much better option than an after-market muffler IMHO. Hope that helps ya.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:08:07 AM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:14:47 PM »
I found somebody to do this for $30. Some of the weld looks a bit porous, but I guess I'll see how it holds up.

I think I'm going to paint it with some black high temperature spray paint for extra protection. Is there any reason not to do this?

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 05:53:23 PM »
I think I'm going to paint it with some black high temperature spray paint for extra protection. Is there any reason not to do this?
As long as you thoroughly clean  then de-grease, & remove all rust it before ya do it you should be fine.
Barbecue/Grill paint works pretty good, but is not real hard so you do have to redo it now & again.
Most folks I know of who do that repaint once a year or so.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 08:48:29 PM »
Glad you got the pipe welded. Hopefully what you have is what is called a guerilla weld, ugly but strong.  :) 
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:05:48 AM »
What started as a small hairline crack in the pipe (at the very end of the muffler weld, where one of the emission testing holes used to be) suddenly expanded all around it. So now I have an exhaust leak.

It's probably a result of needing to put the exhaust under tension to make the bolt holes line up.

Thoughts/advice?

My 2005 GV250 did the same thing.  First, something broke inside the exhaust pipe and I cut the side open and removed a piece that I have named "the hot dog" I have welded the exhaust at least 5 times in different places.  I even aligned the three bolt holes then welded it but when I removed it to change the tire it was warped again and under tension.  The last break was on the bottom support near the axle bolt (happened twice).  I decided not to re-weld it and so far not more breaks - so I think the problem is solved (after welding) by bolting 2 out of three bolts to relieve the tension. 

I too considered the $300+ aftermarket exhaust but... I felt like it was too much money for an old scooter but one advantage is that the header can be un-clamped to remove the rear tire without taking off the entire exhaust - same as most scooters factory pipe allows.  I believe the design is good. 

Custom exhaust... I thought about this too but it is a lot of work but if someone wanted to I would recommend cutting the pipe where it enters the muffler and welding a three bolt flange there and mounting a small inexpensive round car exhaust.  I saw this setup on an older  yamaha R1 motorcycle and the owner said it worked well.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()