Author Topic: Engine overheating  (Read 7340 times)

barschlep

• View Profile
Re: Engine overheating
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 08:28:26 AM »

For 45 yrs read/heard that is critical to use 50/50. This forum is the very first deviation to that recommendation I've ever come across. 
Stig

Stig, if you go to an auto parts store and find a bottle of full strength coolant, you'll see the various mixture ratios and their intended application.The purpose of antifreeze is to lower the freezing temp and to raise the boiling temp. 70/30 coolant/water is best to prevent boil over.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
Stig, if you go to an auto parts store and find a bottle of full strength coolant, you'll see the various mixture ratios and their intended application.The purpose of antifreeze is to lower the freezing temp and to raise the boiling temp. 70/30 coolant/water is best to prevent boil over.
That's  how long it's  has been since I've  read a coolant bottle.
Thanks for correcting me!
More coolant works better on both ends of the thermometer according to my Prestone label.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 03:53:02 PM »
That's  how long it's  has been since I've  read a coolant bottle.
Thanks for correcting me!
More coolant works better on both ends of the thermometer according to my Prestone label.
Stig

Antifreeze has THREE major functions.

1: Obviously to lower the freezing point
2: To raise the boiling point
3: Corrosion protection.
It is the third reason that usually requires the use of antifreeze year round and even in places where it never gets below freezing. The rule of thumb is that below 30% may not provide adequate corrosion/rust protection. Aluminum engines can do some strange things without corrosion protection. And unlike cast iron engines there is no visible rust to warn us that things are going awry .

Also, at concentrations above 70% I've heard that the antifreeze and water could potentially separate, thereby actually RAISING the freezing point. (I'm not 100% certain if that is true. But I do know that every label warns against going over 70%).
Also higher concentrations don't dissipate heat as well as water. So although the radiator may not boil over, the engine may still may run hotter than it should.

Well, that's my two cents based on what I've read. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()