Author Topic: Trailer to haul the UXV 450  (Read 3976 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Trailer to haul the UXV 450
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
just wondering what people are using to haul the 450, as I've stated in other threads, I don't often have a reason to trailer my UXV and haven't  had to since I bought mine nearly a year ago, cause I have the ability to drive it on the street to any jobsite within 10 miles

Labor Day weekend, my brother has a large get together and plenty of ATV/SxS trails  about a 3 hour drive for me.

currently I am looking at trailers at Tractor Supply,  the 450 would fit on a 5x8, that I can get for $699 but looks like a cheesy trailer with a single beam tongue, right now, the 5½x10 with A frame tongue is on sale for $1099 or 6x8 for $899

does anyone use the 5x8?  is it worth it to get the extra 2 feet? that trailer also has cargo area in the A frame portion of the trailer as well
the 8 footers have 13" wheels and the 10 footer has 15" wheels

5x8or

6x8

5½x10
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:44:50 PM by randyo »
RandyO
IBA#9560

SuperHeliDave

• View Profile
Re: Trailer to haul the UXV 450
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
I bought the 6x10 from lowes, wood floor, works great...
It can always be climbed.....

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 07:02:14 PM »
I bought the 6x10 from lowes, wood floor, works great...

how do you tie down ?    chains & binders , ratchet straps ?   D-rings screwed  to floor , or bolted thru floor, or welded to frame
RandyO
IBA#9560

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 08:14:32 PM »

I bought a 5 x 10 from home depot for my tractor snow blower & lawn mower,.  and works well for my scooter,.   tie downs front and back,. looking to
install tie down in the middle,  wall or floor????  both sheet metal, kind of thin metal   looks like 1 1/2  mm. thick

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 09:45:58 PM »
Look carefully at the weight capacity of any trailer you want to consider. As the 450 weighs around 1200 wet you want a trailer with at least a 2000lb GVW that is gross vehicle weight which includes the weight of the trailer. You will want to be sure the wheel bearings are well packed and adjusted properly even if it is a new trailer!!!  If you choose a trailer with an expanded metal floor you will want to add some plywood on the metal to distribute the weight better as the expanded metal support per sq ft will allow it to bend with a 1200 lb UTV setting on it.  I use adjustable rachet straps to hold my 450i on the trailer, two on the front and two on the back. Hook to frame never to the expanded metal!! Use some form of wheel chock in the front even if you make your own from blocks of wood. That 5x8 might be a bit narrow for your 450i, I would recommend trying it out before buying, they should allow you to use it for a test ride and if it doesn't workout then you can return it...OR have a friend pull your UTV to the store and try to load it there. Just need to be sure it fits well and the trailer is long enough. My trailer is over 9' in length and my 450i just barely fits.  Good luck........

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 11:24:14 PM »
Look carefully at the weight capacity of any trailer you want to consider. As the 450 weighs around 1200 wet you want a trailer with at least a 2000lb GVW that is gross vehicle weight which includes the weight of the trailer. You will want to be sure the wheel bearings are well packed and adjusted properly even if it is a new trailer!!!  If you choose a trailer with an expanded metal floor you will want to add some plywood on the metal to distribute the weight better as the expanded metal support per sq ft will allow it to bend with a 1200 lb UTV setting on it.  I use adjustable rachet straps to hold my 450i on the trailer, two on the front and two on the back. Hook to frame never to the expanded metal!! Use some form of wheel chock in the front even if you make your own from blocks of wood. That 5x8 might be a bit narrow for your 450i, I would recommend trying it out before buying, they should allow you to use it for a test ride and if it doesn't workout then you can return it...OR have a friend pull your UTV to the store and try to load it there. Just need to be sure it fits well and the trailer is long enough. My trailer is over 9' in length and my 450i just barely fits.  Good luck........

good info, confirming some of my thoughts, a quick visual inspection of the 5x8 expanded metal model looked like the metal was sagging with nothing on it, also, tight on load capacity 1650 lbs (1450 for the wood floor model) both are 2000 lb gvw and the 13" tires are ony rated 990lbs ea (a little conflict with the gvw)

5ft is  wide enuf, I could almost fit it on a 4x8 that I have with the wheels hanging 2" off each side, I've been leaning toward the 5½x10 anyway, 2100b capacity (gvw is 3000) and enuf room to fit my spare wheels + the cargo area on the A-frame, the 15" tires are rated 1820 lbs ea, so no conflict with the 3000lbs gvw

luckily, I don't have to trailer my 450i to the store to test for fit, I can drive it there cause I'm street registered, my plan was to go pick it up with the 450i

I'm still hesitant to secure tie down rings to a wood floor, I witnessed a disaster once

RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 12:46:32 AM »
    Your thinking is correct, never connect a tie-down to a wood floor unles tie-down is also anchored to the frame. I use rachet straps with hooks on them to hook onto the trailer frame itself. Your best bet is to have the front two angled slightly toward the rear and the rear two straps angled slightly toward the front.  You would be sort of pulling the UTV from front and rear toward the center of the trailer if you will. Yes the expanded metal is not designed to carry weight unless it is spread out, and that is where the plywood comes in, so the weight from 4 tires can be more spread out to prevent the metal from sagging. I have a 7' x 9' trailer that was originally built to carry my two atv's sideways. it was a side loader model that I designed myself. Had it built at a fabrication shop in their spare time, it has a 2000 lb gross weight, trailer weighs about 400 lbs so it had a 1600 ld limit. My two quads weighed around 1100 lbs and now my 450i weighs around 1200 wet so I am still good. The trailer cost me 650 to have it made, probably 750-800 now a days. I have removable sides that are used as ramps to load and unload from either side or from the rear. What ever you decide to buy do take the time to check and repack the wheel bearings even if the trailer is new, I have saw people towing a brand new trailer and burnt the spindles because the factory did a crappy job of packing the wheel bearings. Don't just pop the covers and see grease and think all is good, do take the time and remove each wheel and inspect the bearings for proper lube. And by all means be sure to carry a spare tire!!

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 02:56:49 AM »
. And by all means be sure to carry a spare tire!!

already checked that out, spare wheel & tire is $100 and spare tire mount is $36

because I am also likely to use the 450i to tow the trailer occasionally for local utility use, I want to set my 450i with turn signals and trailer wiring
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 11:40:02 PM »
   With the added electrical drain for your turn signals etc and now wanting to add trailer lighting you might want to check with Kymco on the power capacity of the electrical system.  Hate to see you blow the stator out by drawing to much power, not sure how much extra power is produced but I do know that many need to make modifications when they add LED lights as the current power supply won't handle it.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 03:05:14 AM »
   With the added electrical drain for your turn signals etc and now wanting to add trailer lighting you might want to check with Kymco on the power capacity of the electrical system.  Hate to see you blow the stator out by drawing to much power, not sure how much extra power is produced but I do know that many need to make modifications when they add LED lights as the current power supply won't handle it.

not a real concern, don't plan on towing at night with lights, turn signals and brakes are only on momentarily , while the battery may momentarily go into discharge mode which I doubt,  Kymco accessories like a cab heater that I don't plan on adding would add a lot more

I do plan on LED, but only for brightness and not electrical use, because of my use, I will also be adding an amber strobe

our electrical system is not a field regulated alternator like in cars, electricity is not provided by the alternator, it is provided by the battery, the magneto alternator only serves to keep it charged, rpm determines the output and excess is dumped in the regulator/rectifier , not the draw like a field regulated alternator, the most that can happen by drawing too much electricity is draining the battery
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »
I have decided where I am going to get my trailer, just not sure exactly what trailer, it will be custom built by http://nhtrailers.com/, a local trailer manufacturer less than 10 miles away from my home

I am getting quotes on 2 trailers

#1 single axle, no brakes no sides but instead set up for stake body sides, 6' x 14' , 2990gvw

#2 tandem axle, brakes, also setup as a stake body 6' x 16½' 6500gvw

all their trailers are 100% welded, tie downs welded to frame, come with spare tire, LED lights,  wiring enclosed in conduit
went on a tour thru their shop, I was impressed, build time is 3-4 weeks from when I place an order

examples

RandyO
IBA#9560

SuperHeliDave

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 06:36:32 PM »
I work for an Airline, Used some old floor track and then found some cargo tie downs, good for those 9g turns on the highway.....
It can always be climbed.....

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 09:38:56 AM »
UHAUL  >:(

rented a 5x9 for the weekend figured I'd have a coupe inches to spare on each side and room enuf to stuff my set of spare wheels behind it

nope, inside dimensions, 4'- 6" x 8'3"

yes, the 450i fits inside wheel flares rubbing on both sides, stuffed my spare front wheel, rear wheels are in my jeep
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 02:38:46 AM »
    Yep....that why I mentioned trying it out for size first.  Trailer measurements are from the outside not the inside dimensions that you really need.  Those trailer pics you posted really look nice.  I would be curious to know what the price is going to be...is that an all aluminum trailer?

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 02:36:17 PM »
yes, Pro-Line trailers are all aluminum, I have to get back in touch with them cause I think my quote went to my spam, 6'x14' will be about $2800, based on prices for their 6x10 & 6x12, not sure on the 6x16½, is it is a totally custom quote for a trailer they have not built before, I expect around $4k
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()