Author Topic: People 50 dies sometimes after sitting at traffic light then won't restart  (Read 2120 times)

mclark999

• View Profile
Thought I'd post this as I'm now having the same problem with my scooter after putting on a performance exhaust that I was having prior and had just never quite solved.

Issue was that when I rode for more than about 15 minutes when the weather was hot the scooter would just die on me sometimes when I stopped at a light or even die sometimes when I cut throttle to go around a corner in an intersection. Then it won't start until the scooter cools off.  Manually choking the scooter by covering the snorkel doesn't help in this situation.

I figured it was running lean and getting too hot and just thought I'd tackle the issue after I installed a performance pipe and rejetted.  So I've done that. Rejetted and also put a new auto enricher on it. It starts okay when cold. Starts easily when warm but still will die sometimes idling at an intersection and then won't start again until it cools off.

Today I had started it up after it had sat for an hour and then drove it about 3 blocks. Weather was about 75 degrees.  Sitting at a very long light, probably idled for about 2 minutes, it died. Would not start at all. Waited 5 minutes. No start. Waited 5 more. Still nothing. Waited about 15 more minutes and it started after maybe 20 or so revolutions of the starter.

I'm pretty frustrated.  I used a propane torch the other day to see if their was a vacuum leak, but wasn't sure where all to place it.  I might take a spark plug wrench with me to see if I have spark. Maybe something in the cdi fails intermittently when it's hot. 

You all have any ideas?  My wife has had it with me calling her and saying I may need a ride home.  I got her a Honda Metropolitan and that thing is so dependable.

Thinking of taking it too a shop, but wondering what they might do that I haven't done and worried how much they will charge to chase an intermittent problem.
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

tortoise

• View Profile

mclark999

• View Profile
! No longer available

Yeah, I'll bring a spark plug wrench with me and see if I have spark next time.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
have you replaced the sparkplug?  1st time my scooter acts up, I always replace the plug, if it's not new.  best place to get NGK BR8HSA plugs, scrappydogscooters.com via ebay.  good luck
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

mclark999

• View Profile
I'll give that a go. The plug only has a couple hundred miles on it, but it may be bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
Changed to a little larger OEM jet. Started okay cold and warm, but after riding it a bit it just won't sit and idle without dieing. I can get it to restart, so it's a little improved.  Tuning the low speed fuel mixture, I can tell it's pretty close on lean/rich. More than half a turn in either direction really slows the idle. Maybe it's got a vacuum leak that only kicks in when it's hot. Still need to test the auto enricher, but it's new and had the same problem with the old one.

Spark looks good.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
Checked the enricher circuit and it's working correctly. Put in a new spark plug and that seems to have fixed it. Will post back later after I've ridden it some.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
I've ridden it quite a bit and it starts and runs fine warm and hot. I have to cover the air snorkel with my hand to get it started cold and it takes quiet a few attempts before it will stay running cold.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

bondra76

• View Profile
I had the same problems and cut my scooter loose. Got tired of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mclark999

• View Profile
I'm fitting mine with a manual enricher to see if I can get it dialed in. The convenience of a 50cc scooter in Denver is worth some effort. $5 registration for three years and can park anywhere you can park a bicycle

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
Amd plenty of bike lock stations downtown and along literails

2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

mclark999

• View Profile
Yeah, I have an ECO pass so I regularly scoot to light rail and take the train down town

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()