Author Topic: My Yager is stalling!! Please help  (Read 8860 times)

MeowJW

• View Profile
My Yager is stalling!! Please help
« on: July 13, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »
Hello. This is my first post.  And from the all you gurus I need help.

Bought a 2009 Yager used with only 1350km (846miles) odo.  BTW Yagers are called Frost in Canada.

It was evident that the thing has been sitting for some long time, but it was very cheap.

So riding on the highway, on about 90km/h (56mph), the engine light flashes and the gauges are flashing, the tach needle is
pinned to max rpm and the bike stalled.  This also happened in the local roads lower speeds. 

I did look at the engine light flash patterns and they are 23 and 11. Could they be related?

Love my new bike but very sad because its sick. Any help would mean a lot to me.

Thanks in advance!!

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: My Yager is stalling!! Please help
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 03:09:11 PM »
When the tach pins like that my first though is your battery is low. I had a similar thing happen toy old Yager. Also, you may want to check your spark plug. A lot can happened to a bike if it's been sitting around for a while.

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »
The Yager I had did a similar number and like Wolf said it was related to the battery. The cables had loosened because  the dealer tech had neglected to install the clamp to hold the battery in place! Generally when the panel goes nuts it's electrical.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
Hi there.  New owner of 2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager) here and posting first message! 

I have a very similar problem and would like to know how MeowJW fixed it.  I've checked the battery connections and have cleaned and tightened them.  For some reason, the previous owner put the wrong size battery in and had to shave off the tabs on the battery/fuse panel to make it fit; this also puts pressure on the connections from the MET-IN box so I will order the correct battery for it. 

Also the previous owner seems to have removed the CELP from the dash and has partially melted it (!); I have no idea what was being attempted there. 

It also seems there is a regular drip of oil from the rear part of the air box from the clear plastic hemisphere hanging underneath.  I gather this is a result of too much gear oil in the transmission?  I've had a look inside and have cleaned it.

But the high speed stall is the issue I want to address right now so would really like to know if MeowJW fixed it.

thanks!

Louder North
2009 Kymco Frost w. 10,000 km. 

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:45:02 PM by Louder North »
2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager 200i)
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
2007 Aprilia SR50 (Morini motor)
2013 Aprilia SR50 (Piaggio motor)
1986 BMW R80

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 06:13:19 PM »
I have a 2009 frost ,  and a downtown 2011,  and a 2016 Piaggio B V 350,  the frost was missing the same as my 300.  so I thought it was the regulater or the stater that was what  fixed the 300, don't know witch one ,  I think high rev.s may cause the break down of the reg.- stater,.  as I was going 65 miles per hour when it started to miss,  and I was pushing 8,000 rpm when the 300 started to miss again , not going to do that again,. I have the diagnostic tool for checking the kymco scooters ,  near Ottawa are you in this area, I have only seen one frost near here, and one downtown 300 in Ottawa

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 11:15:03 PM »
De dee: thanks for the quick response! I'm going to eliminate the possible misfit battery and get the right one. I hear also that it could be the sparkplug or sparkplug cap/sparkplug wire so they might be next. But your having the diagnostic tool is great and I'd like to be able to use it since my CELP light is missing. Helps that I live in Ottawa too. I will PM you my personal email.
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »
Mine developed a high-speed miss that turned out to be the coil.
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 01:27:23 AM »
Thanks Fogie.  I'm hoping de dee diagnostic tool will tell me if I have any error codes... The problem seems to arise after a bit of running time at higher speeds so I'm inclined to think it could be the stator.   

10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 10:50:31 AM »
Thanks Fogie.  I'm hoping de dee diagnostic tool will tell me if I have any error codes... The problem seems to arise after a bit of running time at higher speeds so I'm inclined to think it could be the stator.

As I recall, when my coil died, the ignition would stutter at higher revs, particularly under load; kind of like a car with bad high-tension wires on a rainy day. I got the impression that coil problems are common with Frosts (Yagers), since my dealer suspected the coil as soon as I described the problem over the phone. I have no idea how they actually diagnosed the issue, but it wasn't just a good guess; since this particular bike's coil is a pricey item, they notified me that the coil had to be replaced before installing the new one.

Please post an explanation of what was wrong with your bike, once the problem is solved.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
Fogie, please explain, "they notified me the coil had to be replaced before installing the new one." This confuses me, PLEASE HELP!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »
As I recall, when my coil died, the ignition would stutter at higher revs, particularly under load; kind of like a car with bad high-tension wires on a rainy day. I got the impression that coil problems are common with Frosts (Yagers), since my dealer suspected the coil as soon as I described the problem over the phone. I have no idea how they actually diagnosed the issue, but it wasn't just a good guess; since this particular bike's coil is a pricey item, they notified me that the coil had to be replaced before installing the new one.

Please post an explanation of what was wrong with your bike, once the problem is solved.

Fogie: What you have described is exactly what I experienced.  At higher speeds/rev (but below the red line) the tach will just take a dive over the line at the same time as a momentary stall.  Then it recovers a bit but if you try again to accelerate, you get the same result.  I'm beginning to think there is a pattern here and that many Frost/Yeager have or will have the same coil weakness.   And yes, I will follow up once a new coil is installed to let you know if that solved the issue.
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 09:18:58 PM »
Fogie, please explain, "they notified me the coil had to be replaced before installing the new one." This confuses me, PLEASE HELP!

Sorry Karl; that's what I get for posting early in the morning.

I shouldn't have associated (by semi-colon) that with the earlier part of the sentence. The thought was "since this particular bike's coil is a pricey item, they notified me that the coil had to be replaced before installing the new one", meaning they had diagnosed the problem and weren't just trying to sell a coil; they were implicitly giving me the opportunity to bail out, rather than simply handing me a large bill for a fait accompli. BTW, they gave me the old coil.

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »
Fogie: What you have described is exactly what I experienced.  At higher speeds/rev (but below the red line) the tach will just take a dive over the line at the same time as a momentary stall.  Then it recovers a bit but if you try again to accelerate, you get the same result.  I'm beginning to think there is a pattern here and that many Frost/Yeager have or will have the same coil weakness.   And yes, I will follow up once a new coil is installed to let you know if that solved the issue.

Now that you mention it, I remember the dancing tach as well.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 07:26:07 AM »
I seen on the diagnostic tool there is a high RPM  switch, that I reset with the diagnostic tool, wish I could find it on the downtown 300i,  it is like a blown fuse,  there is no power in the ignition,  but the fuses are good , 

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 07:48:40 PM »

I cleaned the dr pulley sliders and the pulleys , and deglazed the clutch pads,  noticed the outer variator pulley face was oxidized and fine pitting all over it causing slipping ,  got out the buffing pads for the drill, and some 600 grit sand paper, polished it ,  almost like new,  yesterday I installed a new rear tire 140/ 70  13 "  a city grip , the front tire will be changed soon a power pure ,.   
 I left the moterr running while checking the variator, and the engine would stall at idle after a while, tried to open gas cap and could not to much preasure after 5 min., I opened the gas cap with a loud suction sound, sounds like the gas tank was crushed,   Karl did you ever vent the cap on your Yager? it is a hinged cap on the dash, 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()