Author Topic: stock carburetor replacement recommendations?  (Read 4744 times)

ncsteve

• View Profile
stock carburetor replacement recommendations?
« on: July 11, 2016, 02:13:48 AM »
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive replacement carb with manual choke to replace the stock carb on my 2012 Like 50 2T? I'm not looking for a performance increase, just a manual choke.  Or, does anyone know of a manual choke conversion kit for this carb?

mclark999

• View Profile
Re: stock carburetor replacement recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:35:53 AM »
I'm thinking I may want the same. I just can't see to get my carb to run right and start every time. Seems too lean when cold starting and too rich when warm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 02:20:50 AM »
you can get 17.5mm carbs if you want but probably easier and as cheap to get a 19mm dellorto or dellorto clone thats what I have but mine Like is performance based and I'm running a BBK and expansion exhaust and such. The issue you're going to have is modifying your throttle cable to work with a different carb. . . .it's not easy. I have never done the research since I upgraded carb instead of fiddling with stock one but you may be able to find a anual choke for Keihin carbs.
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 03:14:07 AM »
mclark, I don't know why your carb is acting up, but probably not your pipe IMO.  I am running OEM carbs on 2 Super 9 LC's with Tecnigas NextR pipes and they run very well.  I used to run this carb on my People 50 2T before and after I installed 72cc BBK.  It worked great, but went to Malossi 19mm carb to solve engine overheating issue with BBK, not solved yet, still working on that one.

The OEM bystarter (choke) and auto petcock are pretty lame IOM and never had them work very well for me.  I like the pod airfilters and have them on all my scooters.  To choke the carb, I use a plastic grocery bag to cover the pod airfilter to seal it off, and kick it a few times and it will fire off.  The grocery bag increases vacuum to the auto petcock which allows fuel to flow to the carb.  Once the carb bowl is full of fuel, the engine will start right up.

The above is not for everyone, but works OK for me.  Plastic grocery bag for choke is a very cheap manual choke lol's.  Also, before I installed the pod airfilter on the People, I would stuff a plastic bag into the OEM air intake to choke the engine.  The OEM air intake on Super 9's are not easy to access, but People was very easy to get to.  I don't know about Like 50?

The Malossi 19mm carb comes with a remote manual choke.  I didn't like it, couldn't figure out where to mount the remote lever and cable.  I replaced the remote choke with the pull manual choke and really like it, small and simple to operate.  Best of all, works very well.  I think the BBK has sufficient vacuum so the OEM auto petcock works well.  My People 50 2T with the BBK and Malossi 19mm carb almost always starts 1st kick.

After I get 19mm carb figured out with BBK, my plan is to install one on 49cc Super 9 LC, but haven't done that yet.  I think it would work really well on 49cc engine with Tecnigas Trek pipe.  Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 03:50:41 AM »
Chaz did you finally creep on to fb the other day?  was that you that told me cheers?
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 03:52:06 AM »
oh and if you go to a pod filter it is very easy to mount manual choke to the CVT case thats where I have mine.
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 04:14:31 AM »
pace, not me on fb.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 12:38:07 PM »
Chaz, thanks for that info. I think what is happening now is that with the auto enricher, it is either too lean cold or too rich hot. Haven't found the sweet spot. I've read a few write ups on how to disassemble the auto enricher and convert it to manual operation. Based on your bag choke idea, I may just put a plug in the enricher circuit and cover the snorkel to choke it. I always had to do that to get it to start in the winter anyway.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
mclark, I disabled the autochoke on one Super 9.  I bought the scooter used, and the autochoke was stuck in the carb.  I used too much force to remove it (should have let it soak in some solvent) and broke it.  To disable it, I stuffed some lead down the hole the fuel comes up through from the bowl, the hole that the needle closes off as the autochoke warms up, so it's always off.  I put it back together, so it looks the same.  Funny thing, about the same trouble to start the one without a functioning choke as the others.  Cheers

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 05:17:47 PM »
I did find a good source through Aliexpress for a new autochoke. Cost $3.49 delivered. Bought a spare in case I screw it up modifying it. For now I'm just going plug the enriching circuit

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 03:24:45 AM »
I will take good pics of carb filter and choke placement tomorrow if I remember
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

ncsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 01:41:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies. For those of you that converted the enrichener to a manual unit, which kits fit the stock carb? I saw one from HOCA that looks like it should fit, but I'd like to be sure before I order it.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »
I am not aware of any manual choke kit(s) for stock carb.  Send a link of hoca kit, want to see it.

ncsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 01:51:19 PM »
Here is a link to the HOCA kit. I like it because it has the fuel needle/plug as well as the air plug, but I don't know if it will fit the stock carb. Maybe I'll just have to buy one to find out.
https://www.amazon.com/Hoca-CVK-Manual-Choke-Conversion/dp/B00J4Z9RWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468504106&sr=8-1&keywords=HOCA+manual+choke+conversion+kit

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
Here is a link to the HOCA kit. I like it because it has the fuel needle/plug as well as the air plug, but I don't know if it will fit the stock carb. Maybe I'll just have to buy one to find out.
https://www.amazon.com/Hoca-CVK-Manual-Choke-Conversion/dp/B00J4Z9RWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468504106&sr=8-1&keywords=HOCA+manual+choke+conversion+kit

Find out what the diameter of the plunger and rubber seal are from the vendor. I'll have to measure the seal, but the plunger is just under 7mm diameter on the stock carb.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()