Author Topic: BEARINGS STEERING STEM  (Read 6396 times)

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
Re: BEARINGS STEERING STEM
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
Had mine replaced a few weeks ago.
I removed and re-installed the plastic stuff.
I had it done by a mobile m/c repair service man.
It took him about 3 1/2 hours.   He had trouble with one bolt
that was frozen, finally got it out and replaced it with a new one.
Oh, the top bearing was missing one ball, service guy said he
has seen this before on other makes as well.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 06:29:29 AM »
What do you think about drilling and tapping a hole in the neck, screwing in a grease fitting and just filling that sucker up? Sounds like a lot less trouble.

You would have to fill it to the top for the top bearing,  that's a lot of grease, and you would have to improve the seal on the bottom to keep it from shaking out,.  so taking it apart sounds easyer,.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 03:48:53 AM »
Tapping and filling up the steering stem cavity with grease, won't that grease leak out over time? and that would like down the forks etc.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 03:59:14 AM »
Tapping and filling up the steering stem cavity with grease, won't that grease leak out over time? and that would like down the forks etc.

my thoughts too,.   de dee

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
I found the culprit to the wandering/steering instability issue. The problem happened to be with the stock maxxis tires I had on the scooter...not sure how tires can make a scooter handle so poor, especially with so much tread left! I replaced them with Metzeler Feelfree tires and it handles like a dream now! I cannot believe how well the scooter rides, incredible!

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »
Little tough to say without the tires in hand, but you can break a belt in a tire, & have it fail without any major visible signs.
I've had this happen on bikes and cars.   The symptom is pretty much what you describe. 
Regardless.  Glad you got the problem before it got you.

I found the culprit to the wandering/steering instability issue. The problem happened to be with the stock maxxis tires I had on the scooter...not sure how tires can make a scooter handle so poor, especially with so much tread left! I replaced them with Metzeler Feelfree tires and it handles like a dream now! I cannot believe how well the scooter rides, incredible!
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()