Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49567 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #360 on: August 12, 2017, 03:44:19 PM »
That's really great, Forbes! That leg is all mechanical, right? Hopefully it is so it will never be "hacked" over some nearby wi-fi system!

I am with you on your car in the shop, running poorly or not at all, leaving sounding like a sewing machine with a happy face at the controls. That happy face goal is this forum. No matter what the problem this bunch will back you up! It has been rewarding and inspirational to know you and see you meet the problem with true grit and succeed. The input to the initial cause and YOUR evaluation on what you could have done differently is highly valuable to the rest of us. Sorta like one of us pointing out how slippery grass clippings can be! Makes all hands aware.

200 years ago we did not have speedy personal transport like today. However, we did have HORSES! My thoughts go to Christopher Reeve (aka superman) and his horse dismount disaster. What a result! He never quit, either, just like you!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 14, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Hey Forbes, my buddy from a Goldwing Forum who got diabetes and lost his leg last year now had to have the other taken about a month ago. He's going through therapy now for his second prosthetic. My friend Bob has no insurance or money and Medicaid is paying for his prosthetic but doesn't seem like his is as nice as yours. Your's sounds very high tech.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:46:29 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2017, 02:26:56 AM »
Hey Forbes, my buddy from a Goldwing Forum who got diabetes and lost his leg last year now had to have the other taken about a month ago. He's going through therapy now for his second prosthetic. My friend Bob has no insurance or money and Medicaid is paying for his prosthetic but doesn't seem like his is as nice as yours. Your's sounds very high tech.
My prosthetist had to fight to get it approved. He had to prove to them that i NEEDED it. Medically necessary is the Medicare /Medicaid term. He's a great listener. When I thought I was just making small talk, he was taking notes. I told him my prior to amputation activities. He found out that my house is on a hill with a semi washed out driveway. He asked how many steps I had, my job responsibilities including the fact that I have to balance and rotate tires on vehicles as large as an f350.

I'm not sure of your friend's pre amputation overall condition. But the key words that Medicaid or insurance wants to hear are "this leg is necessary to prevent falls. And this will prevent further damage to his residual limb. Which is a fancy way of saying "it will keep the patient OUT of the hospital and save THEM (the government or insurance company) money. His prosthetist can help determine what's best for him for his balance and safety. I found out more Than I ever wanted to know about the insurance industry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2017, 05:29:29 AM »
Well, here's another update. I'm loving the upgraded leg. GUESS WHAT? I CAN JOG and even RUN a little. I know the rule is "if there are no pictures. It didn't happen " . But I haven't figured out how to take a selfie of me running yet.[emoji16]

They say that a BK (below knee) amputee uses 25% more energy when walking than a non amputee. So that may explain why after running only a short distance, I sweat like a pig at a slaughterhouse on a 100 degree day. ---- Or it may be because prior to a few weeks ago , I hadn't jogged or run in over a year.

Or it may be due to the fact that PRIOR to my amputation, I used to sweat like a pig after running only a short distance . [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Had a bad accident
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2017, 05:41:23 AM »
Advantages: 1. I can jog and run.
2. Due to the fact that it's held on by a mechanical vacuum system that's activated when I walk, my stump remains a constant size, and I don't have to remove it and add prosthetic socks during the course of the day like I did with my old leg.
3. Because of The vacuum , It simply feels more comfortable and more connected..
4 . If I'm wearing long pants, many people don't even realize that I have a fake leg. In fact, I was walking with my sisters out of town in July. And my OWN SISTER who l only see every few months, asked"  Darryl, are you limping a little?". I thought she was just messing with me until my other sisters gave her the "are you crazy" look. After all, I had been on it all day. Then her brain kicked in. She'd momentarily forgotten that I had an artificial leg!
5. I can sit for a few hours and drive without having to stop every 45 minutes to relieve the pain. In fact, now my 53 year old bladder is the limiting factor. [emoji16]

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:44:47 AM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2017, 05:53:05 AM »
Disadvantages :
1. It's more difficult to remove and install than my old prosthesis. I can no longer simply roll up my pants leg. I have to go somewhere private and drop my trousers in
 Order to remove it to dry the sweat on these HOT , HUMID Florida days.
2. Because it's held on by vacuum, if there's even a small vacuum leak , it kind of flops around. The sealing sleeve is the weak link. Average lifespan 3-4 months, normal wear item, price about $100.00.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2017, 06:00:55 AM »
Finally, the price of the entire assembly is approximately 20 THOUSAND dollars! My deductible approx. 4 THOUSAND dollars.

Warranty. Sealing Sleeve 3 months, urethane liner 6 months, pump 24 months, socket and leg 36 months , foot 36 months.
But the socket will likely have to be replaced much sooner due to changes in my leg.

Insurance will repair items after the warranty. But will not replace them until 5 YEARS.

Anyway, that's the progress report. Overall I'm pleased. And I am DEFINITELY BLESSED more than I deserve.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »
Thanks for the update Forbes.
You remain an inspiration to this, your internet scooter gang!

Best regards,
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
Keep on livin', Forbes! Good on ya!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 20, 2017, 08:07:36 PM »
Thanks for the update. We are all very grateful that you have finally gotten the right combination to walk comfortably and actually run - that's fantastic. We wish you all the best of God's blessings on you because you are such a blessing and an inspiration to all of us. Keep truckin'!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

mcdcfc3

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 20, 2017, 10:13:25 PM »
Good to see you are in a good place Forbes. Very best wishes to you from here in England

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 21, 2017, 06:51:10 PM »
Hey Forbes, good to hear from you. Glad to see that everything has finally progressed in the right direction. Stay well and keep inspiring

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 22, 2017, 02:15:43 AM »
 In my prayers get well

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 01, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
Those are a couple of really good ones! Forbes' recovery is magnificent! Robo's repair shows learning and tenacity. Bothnare inspirations. Working on how to present one that was done mostly PM.....

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 01, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »
Happy New Year Forbes. Hope 2018 will be a good one with the medical problems and expenses hopefully behind you and a new year ahead.

- Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()