Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49570 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #315 on: November 26, 2016, 01:22:42 PM »
Always good to hear updates Forbes. Thanksgiving is all the more sweeter when one realizes how close they came to not being around for another. Enjoy your weekend, leftovers and time spent with your family.

- Wolf

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 04, 2017, 07:20:28 AM »
Update. I'm still working. My residual limb has shrunk to the point where the socket no longer fits. So, I was fitted for another one and am waiting for it to arrive in about a week. So, I'll endure the discomfort until then.

That process was expected to take from 6-8 months. But it was evident one month after getting the leg that it wasn't going to take that long.
The reason for the swift change according to my prosthetist is that I'm so active which is a good thing. Most amputees are more sedentary due to the fact that most have other underlying medical issues . On the plus side, it is expected to stabilize more quickly.

My surgeon says that I don't have to see him anymore unless I have an issue. But he says the surgical sight looks fine and has healed nicely . Again, thanks for your support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 04, 2017, 10:40:36 AM »
Glad to hear from you Forbes! I have been wondering how you have been. Happy New Year to you and your family man!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 22, 2017, 04:22:40 AM »
Another update::

It's been a minute since I posted a comment specifically concerning my progress on my prosthetic leg. In January, I received my 2nd socket (the part that attaches to the residual limb) made of carbon fiber.  The fit was better than the previous socket, but there was ONE very small spot that rubbed against the skin behind and just below my knee. Sometimes the skin was actually RAW. Well. After SEVERAL visits adjustments, I think it's finally ok. It's been a FULL WEEK with no soreness there. PRAISE GOD!!!

Also, when I first received my prosthetic leg, I walked around Cascades park (approximately 1 mile). It took me about 30 minutes. Well, I timed myself today. And I was able to accomplish the exact same walk in 20 MINUTES!! That's progress!! I still don't have a "good foot" yet. I'll receive that possibility in June. But I'm THANKFUL for where God has brought me from. And I'm thanking him in advance for where he's going to take me.

In the words of the old Hymn: PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW!

2009 Xciting 250

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 22, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »
You're amazing Forbes and a bright spot here on the Kymco forum. Thank you for your inspiration and faith.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2017, 02:17:11 PM »
What Scooter Dan said and you were thanking the right one!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 22, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »
Been riding since 1975.   My first road accident, crap.

Three of us were riding, I was number two in line. 
Beautiful day, bright sunshine, we were in a tiny town doing about 30mph.
I did not see the leader put his turn signal on (sunshine, tinted shield).
I was in the right track he was in the left track.   He looked left for a second
and so did I.  When I looked forward again he was right in front of me angled
for a right turn.  I hit both brakes and pointed left.   Missed him but went down
, guess I was doing 10-15mph.  Felt my left foot fold under me and helmet hitting
the ground.

Sprained left foot and right wrist.   There are about 8 scratch points on the left side.
My brand new (custom Taiwan) mirrors survived, they have a cam detent.   Whoopee !

So at 30mph I was moving 44 feet in one second, think I was about 50 feet behind him.
Not seeing his turn signal seems the critical issue.

Its all good, nice to have some friends that helped me.

2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:36 PM »
I would also like to agree with what scooter Dan said. If all this has brought you closer to GOD then
you are blessed.  GOD can turn a tragedy into a triumph to His glory. I really appreciate you sharing your story. We are all lifted. Stay the course my brother.

Nac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 22, 2017, 09:06:17 PM »
Great news Forbes. He does have his plan for you.

Wheels,

Been there done that on a dirt bike while riding the Rubicon Trial. My buddies help me back up and with some baling wire and duct tape I was able to ride back to camp. I hope you weren't to badly hurt? Bikes can be fixed or replaced, but we mortals not so easily. Take care of yourself.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 22, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »
Another update::

" But I'm THANKFUL for where God has brought me from. And I'm thanking him in advance for where he's going to take me."

That preaches Forbes!!! God bless you and your family brother!!!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 23, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »
Glad to hear the good news, Forbes. Sounds like you'll be moving comfortably by this summer. I wonder with the introduction of 3-D printing has the prosthetic industry taken any leaps forward in customizing their parts?

Wheels, sorry about your fall. I sometimes think it's our hindsight replay of things that hurts more; the --could-of-done- this -- mental game we play in our heads, over our own personal injuries. We learn from our experiences and that makes us better riders.

- Wolf

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Had a bad accident
« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
This is in the "hurry up and wait" department. As of now I still have only a "basic " foot. And yes. I'm very thankful. However, my insurance determined back around November that a more advanced foot was not deemed "medically necessary " at that point. They wanted to be certain that I would really use my prosthetic since some don't. My prosthetist explained to them that I had returned to work and needed it when I stepped down from the engine compartment or these "Georgia styled "(my words) 4wd lifted F250 trucks. He explained that I regularly walked 1-2 miles per day. He explained that I lived at a place with an uneven yard on a hill. He explained that I was CURRENTLY very active and that the current foot was holding me back. But they declined his request anyway. Could their delay have anything to do with the fact that delay into a new year will cause me to now have to pay a $3,000 + deductible?

Well, come June, I'll FINALLY be able to get an advanced foot. Man! I'm counting down the days!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:55:46 AM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 09, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »
I'm already looking at the "foot catalogues " . Purchasing a prosthetic foot is like purchasing the perfect shoe. But it has to be able to do all things at least acceptably well.

I saw a guy last week who walked so well that he didn't even have a limp! He told me that he could even jog and jump enough to play basketball. And while I don't play basketball, I'd still like to be able to jump a little. And I also miss being able to make a quick dash to or from my car in the rain.
I plan to ask him which foot and leg he has. I hope my insurance will pay for one like his. The one they declined earlier costs around 3-4 thousand for the foot alone. I'm sure that the one he has costs significantly more. Thanks to my family and friends, I have the anticipated deductible saved up in a go fundme account. Now if only they will pay for what I NEED and not just what they want me to have.
But I'll be grateful either way because whatever I get will be better than what I have. And what I have allows me to walk, work, and do MANY of the things I was used to doing. But COME ON JUNE! Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 09, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
Forbes, you are a special person that just keeps on going and who defines the phrase not giving up. I'm under 2yrs post heart surgery right now and plugging a long at 138 lbs and thankful for so many things.

I'm sure you may have already come across Mark Inglis a double amputee that climbed Mt Everest. I watch Everest documentaries and have seen him in a few especially in the Everest:Beyond the Limit series.

Here he is a talking about one thing thats free in life and thats a positive attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg1GDiA6KPM

Its real nice to hear you are getting improvements with your prosthesis.

Sometime I feel things although bad sometimes happen for a reason and set us on a different path. After surgery, I couldn't ride my scooter for a year, maybe something would have happened who knows. When I had my neck injury, my chiropractor noticed I had a melanoma on my back that a previous doctor said was benign and that saved my life. I believe God works in mysterious ways.

Wish you the best and we can all learn from you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:42:02 PM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 10, 2017, 05:02:20 AM »
Forbes, you are a special person that just keeps on going and who defines the phrase not giving up. I'm under 2yrs post heart surgery right now and plugging a long at 138 lbs and thankful for so many things.

I'm sure you may have already come across Mark Inglis a double amputee that climbed Mt Everest. I watch Everest documentaries and have seen him in a few especially in the Everest:Beyond the Limit series.

Here he is a talking about one thing thats free in life and thats a positive attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg1GDiA6KPM

Its real nice to hear you are getting improvements with your prosthesis.

Sometime I feel things although bad sometimes happen for a reason and set us on a different path. After surgery, I couldn't ride my scooter for a year, maybe something would have happened who knows. When I had my neck injury, my chiropractor noticed I had a melanoma on my back that a previous doctor said was benign and that saved my life. I believe God works in mysterious ways.

Wish you the best and we can all learn from you.
Learning from you all as well. And yes, I too believe that although God does not cause these things, if he allows them to happen, it's a piece of a puzzle that will ultimately come together for our good. I don't see it all right now. But I have seen enough to realize that God will turn ashes to gold out of this situation.
Also, it was great to hear a part of YOUR story as well.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()