Author Topic: Had a bad accident  (Read 49569 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Had a bad accident
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2016, 07:52:39 PM »
Hang in there, Forbes. It sounds like you are getting sound advice on both sides the issue regarding your injury, but do what you feel is the best for you. Medical science has done great things in the area of damaged limbs and bones. The miraculous has become more common, giving us hope on many levels.

Keep us updated. I think it's safe to say everyone here would donate a limb, or bones if that were possible. I'll give you my virtual one to help you stand tall.

- Wolf

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 08:26:46 PM »
Praying for the best possible outcome.

Take your time on any decision to amputate. I've seen hundreds of very successful limb salvages over the last 12 years. I'd also get more than just a second opinion as most doctors see removal as the last choice. Expediency is not always best.

That said I've seen some of my guys literally climb Everest on their prosthetics. All tried salvage on the remaining leg/legs first.

Take your time and I wish you nothing but the best.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 11:52:11 PM »
Geez, that's such a tough decision. We will be here, supporting you and keeping you in our prayers. All the best!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 05:31:28 AM »
Second opinion was virtually the same as first. Actually, this is the THIRD opinion because the trauma surgeon in the ER In Panama City gave virtually the same prognosis. But I discounted it because it wasn't a hometown (Tallahassee)  physician. And it wasn't what I wanted to hear. And i thought that Trauma surgeons just like to cut because it's simpler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 05:41:10 AM »
Side note: my first cousin works in the recovery room at TMH in Tallahassee. As I was regaining consciousness, my initial pain level was off the scale. And I was confused as to where I was. And they said I was thrashing around trying to remove tubes. She saw me and came over and held my hand. I saw her face and I immediately began to remember where I was. I remember telling her how glad I was to see her face. I told her how much I loved her for being there. She told me to hold her hand. But she said that I nearly cut off her circulation. When she visited me this morning , She was surprised that I remembered most of what I said. She said that I spoke all my mind. She joke that she was now CERTAIN that I had no deep seated resentment against her because I would have spoken them. Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 05:53:03 AM »
Anyway, when I told her my prognosis she welled up in tears. But when I  stated the things that would be involved in ATTEMPTING to salvage my leg, she stated that she had seen several people endure that process only to either 1. Get an infection somewhere during the process and have to restart or to amputate anyway. Or 2. Successfully complete the process and be so disappointed with the results that they either say it was NOT worth the effort or to eventually tell the physician to amputate anyway because being without the limb could not be worse than the constant pain. So unless I hear a SIGNIFICANTLY different course of salvage treatment, I'm leaning towards letting them amputate. I hate it. But... If the END RESULT is a better quality of life, then I'll go with results. So far, all three physicians would persue very similar courses of treatment if they were to try to salvage the limb.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 10:12:42 AM »
You're writing. ...we're reading , Forbes.
Hang in there.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2016, 12:59:38 PM »
You're writing. ...we're reading , Forbes.
Hang in there.
Stig
Thanks Stig. I know I've been writing a lot. But it seems to be therapeutic. Again thanks.

2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2016, 01:28:42 PM »
You write as much as you can stand and, like Stig said, you write and we will read. This goes way beyond a bunch of people that love to ride.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

PSBear

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2016, 04:09:50 AM »
Such a tragedy...So sorry you're going through this! However, the gear you were wearing most likely saved your life, or quality of it!. Limbs are important, but not needed to live a normal life. I'll keep reading your posts, and pray for your speedy recovery.
Best,
Bear

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 12:09:52 AM »
Sounds horrendous but keep your chin up, look on the positive side, you're still with us :)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2016, 02:30:47 AM »
Forbes, I am sorry but I have been away from this forum for a few days. When I read your original post, I stopped and said a prayer for you. When I kept reading, I prayed some more. I am praying that God will see to your needs spiritually, mentally, physically, and financially during this time.   You are in my prayers and thoughts big time Forbes. Stay in touch brother. You are always free to PM me if you need anything...Paul
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2016, 03:01:13 AM »
Tomorrow A.M. I'll have the below the left knee amputation  done if nothing changes. Thankfully, I'll still have my knee. I May or may not be in contact tomorrow depending on how I feel. But I'm confident that the God I serve will bring me out victorious on the other side. Again, blessings to you all. And I'll be in contact as soon as I feel up to it--- with a good report. Amen.

2009 Xciting 250

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2016, 03:41:03 AM »
 Forbes, we will be praying for you and a successful outcome. Rest. Rest. Rest. It won't be long before they are dragging you out of bed for rehab. All of our thoughts are with you.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2016, 04:20:10 AM »
best of luck for tomorrow and im impressed in how positive uve been allong. hope surgery goes smooth and recover fast to be standing again.
good luck tomorrow!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()