Author Topic: Shocks Stopped Adjusting  (Read 3788 times)

MJR

• View Profile
Shocks Stopped Adjusting
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:36:50 PM »
Well went out to ride home last night started the bike up and the shocks were in the H (Hard/Firm) setting, funny I keep them in S most of the time. I get riding down the road a bit, push the button once, it shows in M, push the button again and M starts flashing but no shifting into S. I get home, try again, same result but with the bike off/key on I can here a buzzing noise from the back. Seems like a rear shock actuator has died now whether or not the shock is bad also I'm not quite sure. I think I'll try to isolate which one it is and remove the actuator to see if I can manually adjust it or not. Then once I figure it out off to the dealer so they can order the part. :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:04:00 AM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Shocks Stopped Adjusting
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 01:44:36 AM »
Looking in the parts catalog the rear shock is only serviced as an assembly. I'm hoping to get at the connectors (looks like I'll have to take some bodywork off though) to figure out which one it is before I contact the dealer.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
You know there ol' MJ.....
If you look...you'll find a sticker on that big scoot that says in Tai....
"DON'T FOOLWIDIT"
Just kidding.  This has got to be gettig a little frustrating. Kymco really does make a quality product. I know you didn't pay book for that expensive scooter. ...but one has the right to expect better from Kymco's flagship model.
Hope this turns out to be a loose connector.
Pushbutton shock settings is a pretty cool feature. ...but should be bullet proof on a new scooter.
Good luck.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 02:39:44 AM »
This has got to be gettig a little frustrating. Kymco really does make a quality product. I know you didn't pay book for that expensive scooter. ...but one has the right to expect better from Kymco's flagship model. Hope this turns out to be a loose connector. Pushbutton shock settings is a pretty cool feature. ...but should be bullet proof on a new scooter. Good luck.

Well stuff happens. So I took some of her clothes off (don't look if you don't want to see naked bike parts) to get at the connectors last night. I started unplugging the left rear shock, the problem was still there so I moved to the right side, unplugged it and the problem went away. As it turns out the right one wasn't making any noise when pushing the shock button so it turned out to be the right rear shock. Just to be sure tonight when I came home I made some jumper wires. First I jumpered the good left rear shock to the wiring harness for the right rear shock and all works fine ruling out the wiring harness. Then I jumpered it the other way and the problem came back so I definitely have a bad right rear shock (motor but only comes with the shock). Here's a few photos. Now I just have to convince the dealer and get them to order the part so when it comes in I can take it over to have it changed.

'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 03:56:10 AM »
Dropped it off today at the dealer in Riverside but I left the body panels off so all they have to do is pull the two bolts to change the right rear shock. They won't look at it until next week then I'd imagine another week or so to get authorization from the Kymco rep and order parts. Not sure if I should email him or not to give him a heads up or not. I showed the service adviser that the system doesn't work with the right rear shock connected but does when it's disconnected.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 05:04:59 PM »
Called on Friday and they confirmed the right rear shock is the problem. One week down. Now hopefully they ordered the part on Monday and got authorization from the rep, probably another week so maybe they will get it done next week. I can't believe just how long they can drag a simple thing out. Had they just brought a mechanic out so I could show hi they could have ordered the part and replaced it last week shaving two weeks off this simple job.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 06:53:23 PM »
Called on Friday and they confirmed the right rear shock is the problem. One week down. Now hopefully they ordered the part on Monday and got authorization from the rep, probably another week so maybe they will get it done next week. I can't believe just how long they can drag a simple thing out. Had they just brought a mechanic out so I could show hi they could have ordered the part and replaced it last week shaving two weeks off this simple job.
I did have a Honda mega-shop mechanic come 35 miles to my house to replace a body panel which they broke on my Forza when I took it in to do a fuel pump recall. I think it was the same poor guy who also broke that panel on their floor model that day!
Was a little dicey - because it was freezing in my garage when he did the swap - and plastic doesn't like cold.
It would help if the blasted panels did not each have secret, new, individual part's specific mystery clips on them.
You almost have to break a few to see how they were snapped together somewhere in Asia or Italy on these Hondas. And, no, the handsome drawings in the very nice, thick, Honda service manuals are not much help. There's more arrows and pointers and lane changes than a clover leaf on I-70 in downtown Kansas city.
Anyway....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 01:04:51 AM »
I know you are at the mercy of the dealer but do you suppose this coulda been remedied with dielectric grease I always harp about?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 09:51:42 PM »
I did have a Honda mega-shop mechanic come 35 miles to my house to replace a body panel which they broke on my Forza when I took it in to do a fuel pump recall.

That's why I left the body panels off when i took it into the dealer. They came off just fine for me and should go back on as easily. :)

I know you are at the mercy of the dealer but do you suppose this coulda been remedied with dielectric grease I always harp about?

If it could fix an internal short maybe but the bike is under warranty so I'd rather not mess with it when they can put a new one on. Now if I had to pay for it I might have torn into it a bit more but that would have meant removing the top shock mount, actuator, and possibly opening it up if it wasn't fused plastic.

At least I have other bikes or car/truck/Jeep to drive.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:33:12 AM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 12:08:14 AM »
Called yesterday and they said they are expecting the part on Friday so not sure if I'll get it back this weekend or not. It will be 3 weeks this Saturday since I dropped it off.  :o
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 04:16:48 PM »
Called on too late Saturday to pick it up but was done. Left work early yesterday to go pick it up and brought it home, shock replaced. Now just to put the body panels back on it sometime this weekend.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 12:53:43 AM »
Update, the bike has been good since the shock was replaced.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()