Author Topic: Will not start.. please help  (Read 1190 times)

Skoty2hoty

• View Profile
Will not start.. please help
« on: June 25, 2016, 08:22:18 PM »
I have a 2012 super 8 that won't start.. I just bought it my buddy said it sat for a year. Has spark and turns over. Won't start I replaced the spark plug and put fresh gas in it.. sometimes it will start for 5 seconds and then dies out.. im getting gas to the carb but not sure if it's coming out.. any ideas? I've never messed with a carb before thanks for your time

tjupille

• View Profile
Re: Will not start.. please help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 01:54:45 AM »
Most likely a gummed up carb. I just ran through this with my wife's scooter -- had sat for several months, would start then die in a few seconds. I dumped half a can of SeaFoam into the gas tank and started up the engine several dozen times (enough to get gas from the tank down to the carb. Then I *carefully* took the top off the carb, lifted out the diaphragm, and dripped a couple of capfulls of SeaFoam down into the needle jet hole (to get the seafoam down into the carb bowl). The bike will start and run without the diaphragm, but (obviously) won't respond the throttle. After a few more start/die cycles, it started to hold the idle. Put the carb back together and it seems to run fine now.

If you're lucky (as I was) this "external" flush will do the job. If not, you'll have to pull the carb to get at the jets to clean them out.

Edit: Make sure you have a battery charger connected. Those repeated starts will kill your battery charge in a hurry.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:57:44 AM by tjupille »

erics

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:20:34 PM »
Use a flat screwdriver and loosen the bowl drain screw and let the gas runs out for a few minutes then tighten screw. Remove the two hold down screws for the electeric choke and remove it. Remove the two hold down screws for the diaphram cover and remove diaphragmand spring assembly.
Spray half can carb cleaner in choke and diaphragm plunger holes and let sit for a few minutes.
Loosen drain bowl screw and let carb drainfor afew minutes. Turn up idle screw 2 full turns and remember to readjust after engine warms up.
Put everything back together and start engine. If this dosen't work then get a mechanic to remove and clean carb

Voodooscoot

• View Profile
    • Voodoo Scoots  S/C
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:40:26 PM »
Yes   Carb problem.  Buy a can of carb cleaner ($%), take off carb, clean it, replace.   They have videos on youtube for your make and model.

Make sure spark plug is gapped right.
replace fuel filter-  Napa sells universal ones ($4)

Lets us know
Recruiter for Voodoo Scoots   S/C
2013 Super 8 150cc

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 07:09:29 PM »
Here's part 1, the rest are on my channel.

Super8 150 - Removing and Cleaning the Carburetor Part 1
Wayne

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()