Author Topic: how hard is it to change a front tire 16"  (Read 2419 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
how hard is it to change a front tire 16"
« on: June 11, 2016, 10:12:36 PM »
My GT has about 11,000+ miles on it.
I replaced the rear tire at about 8,000+ because
of a puncture.
Before the summer is over, "2016", I will probably
want to put a new tire on the front.
Just wondering how hard it would be to do myself
with tire irons?.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: how hard is it to change a front tire 16"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:20:19 AM »
I think it would be a hundred dollars worth of effort on your part versus spending 25 bucks to have a professional do it. Plus there is the issue of balancing the tire. Hope that helps.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 01:04:24 AM »
I think it would be a hundred dollars worth of effort on your part versus spending 25 bucks to have a professional do it. Plus there is the issue of balancing the tire. Hope that helps.
Not to mention the air leaking nicks to the wheel rim or the tire bead.
Maybe dismount and take it to the dealer. ?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 03:40:07 AM »
As far as balance is concerned, a tube of BB's will take care of that. Don't forget to loosen the pinch bolt before you try to unscrew the axle!

You will probably have to buy the tire from the guy who has the machine to dismount/mount the old/new tire.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
I just replaced the front and rear on my DT300i. I took it to a shop and paid $100 for both. Unless you have all the proper equipment, I would let the dealer or scooter shop do it. Especially to have it properly balanced.

-Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 06:30:03 PM »
My local tire guy charges me 25 bucks to mount and balance a tire if I bring it to him on the rim. Thats the way to go IMHO.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »
I changed tires on People 50 2T with 16" wheels some time ago, very difficult to do IMO.  I have a lot of experience changeing tires on karts, minibikes, and now scooters.  There is trick:  pop the tire over the wheel on each side leaving the wheel in the middle.  Then it's easy to take the wheel out of the middle.

If you try to pop both sides of the tire over the same side, very hard to do.  You will probably damage the bead on the tire and chip up the paint on the wheel.

I have about $50 in good tire irons, and use plastic sheets cut from 5 gal oil bottles to protect the rims.  Cheers

http://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0007
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 07:33:53 AM »
Changed the tires on my Agility city 125, front tire was not that hard to do.
Used rim protectors, they worked fine.
Most difficult part was to slip the tire on (didn't have tire rim lubricant, used dishwaser soap). 
Luckily close to my house I have a gas station, so filling the tire until it popped on was not a problem. Used dyna bead to balance it, 2oz per tire.
The rear was more difficult, mostly because you need to take off the exhasust, right hand swingarm, move the shock and a few other things. The rear need some time and effort until it popped on.

Agility City 125

Kymsec99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 10:56:36 PM »
Changed a tyre on a Honda 185 Benly years ago, with 2 knives and forks (eating ones) ! Not too hard, did take it easy to prevent damage. Didn't know about balancing but did put it on with correct direction. Was in my young ignorant days, guess I was lucky!

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 12:05:20 AM »
I'm a wimp.
Unless I'm really pressed for time, or feeling lazy, I'll pull the wheel myself then hook up with one of a couple local outfits who'll swap the tire on and balance it for $30 per tire.
Check around any forums that go local (ADV Rider has a local section for example) and ask around a bit.
Someone will hook ya up.  If that fails maybe check Craigslist, or see who your local installers are on the motorcycle superstore site.

Cheers
Tromper
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »
Well worth it to hire the properly equipped tire guy to do the work if you can spring for that extra money !
redk

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
I generally try to do everything I can myself. If you're the same way, there's no reason you can't do this.

It was definitely an exercise in frustration the first time. I did chew up the paint a little on the rims  (don't try using newspaper as a rim protector), although I'm not having any trouble with it holding air so far. Now tire changes are still a bit annoying, but not nearly as bad.

Professionals aren't immune from damaging things (I've heard plenty reports of them damaging the paint on the rims). And I wouldn't expect them to take as much time getting the balance right.

The equipment, including a balancing stand, ended up being about the same as paying someone to do it. But now subsequent changes will be cheaper.

If you don't have access to a compressor, I was able to seal the bead with a tow strap and a bicycle floor pump.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »
When I was working at a local Jeep dealer I would just take the wheels off my Burgman 650 and take them to work. There I would use the tire changer machine, so easy, and after that take them to the local motorcycle shop for a spin balance. Now that I no longer work there the last time I bought tire irons and rim protectors but the radials on the Burgman are far to hard to do by hand. I managed to get the front off and the rear I ended up cutting off but putting them back on ultimately took them to a shop for install. Now if I could just find a used tire changer machine for a decent price.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 11:17:45 PM »
lol

I had a Coates, 2540 or 2520 model, I think it was...  can't recall anymore...
it was for car tires, probably would not have worked on bikes.
Anyways, better to go visit a friend working a service station somewhere during late hours than own a machine.
All my beer drinkin offroad buddies were using it regularly. leaving empties behind, and tires...
Yah, I'd sooner pay to have it done.
Good to have a couple, or three decent irons at home, though.  :-)
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()