Author Topic: Do you turn off scooter w/kill switch??  (Read 10884 times)

Redk

• View Profile
Re: Do you turn off scooter w/kill switch??
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 09:46:36 PM »
Kill switch ?  Yes, I have one with that label, and I use it to stop power to the engine.  Every time I stop and intend to get off.
Then I turn off the key which controls power to the other systems.

Reverse order for starting procedures. Lift the sidestand with its safety switch, turn on charging/light circuits and wait for the display to go through it's routine, then I depress the brake with it's safety switch, and apply the starter button after turning the kill switch to the ON position.  Works fine, for me.

I suppose there might be a different sequence others could use effectively.
redk

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 09:56:02 PM »
The early Honda Goldwings did not kill the engine with the side stand down, consequently one unfortunate rider took off with it down, started to turn left and pogoed himself into a light pole, killing him dead. Maybe that's why nowadays the side stands on most, if not all bikes, kill the engine when down?
2009 GV 250

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 10:13:04 PM »
  5 or 6 years ago , just about everyone had trouble from the kill switch,  I have not used it since then, I have hit it by chance a few times and wondered why it would not start, 

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 12:45:04 AM »
interesting thread...my MSF instructor taught us all to use the kill switch every time we shut down...referencing the 'muscle memory' thing. i use it on my motorcycle and scooter...no problems so far. I doubt it causes any trouble.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 04:26:54 AM »
Side stand switch on all my scoots.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 04:28:32 AM »
I was told to use the kill switch, so that if an emergency happened, it would be an AUTOMATIC reflex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 09:53:06 AM »
OP here, well in reading about the use of the kill switch - it certainly does not seem to grenade the bike if used frequently.
Some are taught by instructors to use it.

My issue is that manufacturers don't  seem to adhere to standardized positioning of the controls. I didn't try use my Forza's horn very often .....but when I did - I would angrily flash a turn signal at the offending car! Maybe Honda is the only one who positions the switches so.?
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »
I was told to use the kill switch, so that if an emergency happened, it would be an AUTOMATIC reflex.

Thanks good buddy for this tip as I had never heard of this and am learning this for the first time. Make perfect sense to me and will develope the routine.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »
Tig makes a good point: There are no uniform standards on controls and switches. When I ride my BMW bikes I have to relearn the position of the turn signal switches. I suspect the reason most Japanese and Chinese bikes have the same switch positions is because they probably buy them from the same factory, not because they want to create a standard for us riders. At least the kill switch seems universal, always atop the right handle. Has anyone seen it elsewhere?
2009 GV 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2017, 06:36:37 PM »
Both the side stand and the red emergency switch take your coil straight to ground. On some bikes  it also keeps the ignition off and on some it doesn't. On all bikes the key kills it all. Both are mandated by the federal gov. traffic safety board. Big brother is watching out for you. Fuel on, stand up, neutral light on and emergency switch to run, now that you've performed all these preflight chores, you are finally ready to shout CONTACT.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2017, 07:27:44 PM »
Both the side stand and the red emergency switch take your coil straight to ground. On some bikes  it also keeps the ignition off and on some it doesn't. On all bikes the key kills it all. Both are mandated by the federal gov. traffic safety board. Big brother is watching out for you. Fuel on, stand up, neutral light on and emergency switch to run, now that you've performed all these preflight chores, you are finally ready to shout CONTACT.
  and the wright Bros. are off again,  are you catching up to me in age,.  live long and healthy, so you can ride!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2017, 12:45:34 AM »
I use the kill switch to cut the engine, then turn the key off. Works for me.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2017, 02:25:16 AM »
And that's what really matters, Mr. Paul. Whatever work for each of us. Turning the emergency switch off each time can certainly do no harm. If they teach that in the m/c safety classes, then adhere to their instruction. They know what they are talking about. Wishing all safe scootering.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2017, 03:22:54 AM »
Side stand switch on all my scoots.

This is in the for what it's worth department. Your side stand switch comment made me think of it. When I had my accident last year, I had all kinds of trivial thoughts before I realized what condition my leg was in.
Some of them were:
1.Why can't I get this thing back under control? This median wasn't that big of a jump.
2. What was that that just broke my wind shield?
3. Why did my instrument cluster just pop out?
4. Why did I just fall?
5. Wow! I'm rolling.
6. Am I going to be able to ride it home without the cluster?
7. My Allstate motor club gives $200.00 free towing. Will I have to come out of pocket?
8. (This is the one your side stand comment brought to mind) After the scooter flipped several times, it fell on its side then jumped back up and started "ghost riding" for a short distance.
I remember thinking "I thought that thing had a kill switch to shut it off if it fell on it's side?" "Oh, it finally shut off"
9. Is that thing totaled?
10. Man! I'm going to be late for church this morning!
11. (After reality starts setting in) . MAN! My leg's hurting real bad.

All those TRIVIAL thoughts happened between the time I hit the median , hit the mystery objects (sign posts) that broke my windshield, instrument cluster, AND LEG, and the time me and the scooter stopped tumbling and came to a rest. In retrospect I actually LAUGH when I think about it.
  12.Then I looked at my leg and saw the extent of the damage to ME and I VERBALLY expressed my next thought .
JESUS! JESUS! JESUS!
In retrospect, that was the MOST rational thought of them all. I know it was the most helpful. [emoji16][emoji1488]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2017, 04:53:47 AM »
This is in the for what it's worth department. Your side stand switch comment made me think of it. When I had my accident last year, I had all kinds of trivial thoughts before I realized what condition my leg was in.

8. (This is the one your side stand comment brought to mind) After the scooter flipped several times, it fell on its side then jumped back up and started "ghost riding" for a short distance.
I remember thinking "I thought that thing had a kill switch to shut it off if it fell on it's side?" "Oh, it finally shut off"

It's crazy the things that can run throught ones mind in a few seconds. I have triggered the tip over sensor on my '03 B650 when hitting a pothole broke my front rim years ago, the bike sputtered and wouldn't run right for several minutes after.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:24:01 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()