Author Topic: Starter stuck on even without key  (Read 2662 times)

newby

• View Profile
Starter stuck on even without key
« on: May 28, 2016, 04:37:20 AM »
About 6 weeks ago, my GV started acting funny and then broke down. First at a light, i noticed what sounded like an air hose leak. Then half a mile down the road the battery began wearing down so much the engine was about to die. So I pulled off to investigate and as soon as i turned OFF the key the starter engaged and wouldn't stop until i disconnected the battery. When I did I noticed the battery was extremely hot and ultimately destroyed. I towed it to my repair shop the next day. They called me back the following day and said they couldnt find any problem at all, and everything was running fine. Then tonight it just did the same thing. Can anyone tell me what is REALLY wrong?

tastroman

• View Profile
Re: Starter stuck on even without key
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:56:17 AM »
 If you haven't already replaced the battery try that 1st.

newby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:25:56 AM »
I immediately replaced the battery the first time this happened because clearly whatever caused this problem had destroyed the battery, as it was way overheated. When i hooked up the new battery WITHOUT the key in it, the starter immediately engaged. So i towed it to the repair shop, where it began working perfectly again and they charged me an hour of labor and couldn't find anything wrong. Then, it hpened again the other day. I was almost home, so i didnt ruin the battery this time. But now i dont want to tow it and pay for labor for NOTHING again, only to have this happen again and sgain and again!

newby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »
k heres an update for anyone else  experiencing this same problem with their GV. BETTIN AND LOSIN, among others,  insisted the problem was the solenoid. B&L was kind enough to send me his for free with the mirrors I purchased from him. So when it came I changed it ouf and the problem persisted. So I contacted the guy who sold it to me. He, too, suggested the solenoid, but I told him I'd just replaced it. So he said he'd come over after work and take a look at it. (Nice guy, right?) After a brief general electrical inspection revealed no problems, he hooked it up and the starter engaged. So he disconnected the connection coming off the solenoid and tried it again. This stopped the starter from engaging. So, he said, that means the problem is on the other side. With the battery disconnected agsin, he reconnected the connector and began running his hand from the other lead off the solenoid going back toward the battery, looking for frayed wires that may be grounding the circuit. The first thing he came to was a sleeve with two connectors in it. He disconnected and inspected them, and apparently happy with their condition, reconnected them. He continued running his hand along those wires back to the battery, finding nothing amiss. He then reconnected the battery and it worked fine. We started and stopped it about 20 times before putting it back together, semi confident is was ok, for now, at least. (I had to get to work fast, I was already 1/2 hour late) Now I realize this problem is NOT fixed, just lurking. But I now have the tools on my bike to remove the seat as well as disconnect the battery. So if this happens again, I will have some idea of where to start looking for an easy fix. I hope this information helps one of you gurus, like B&L, to figure this thing out, for once and for all, because this has been extremely frustrating!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 04:11:04 PM »
I'll bet your problem is forward somewhere around the harness between the handlebar switches and the headstock. The circuit of the starter switch AND the brake light switches are completed to the start relay/solenoid.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »
Intermittent electrical is always fun. If you get it to act up best disconnect the starter lead and put a test light on it as carefully move the wiring to located the area of the problem then pull it apart and visually inspect the wires. Have you considered the possibility of the start switch itself sticking or internally having a problem?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:52:37 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 02:31:57 PM »
I had the identical problem with my '09 GV a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the starter solenoid with an OEM Kymco part, and problem solved.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

newby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 06:57:40 PM »
Scooterlar, I hope that fixes it permanently for you, but I have my doubts. It just happened again to me the other day. It wouldnt start, so I asked the guy who sold it to me if he could look at it again. He came over fidgeted a  little, checking gas, spark and air and got it working again. Unfortunately, as SOON as he left, it wouldn't start again. In trying to duplicate what hed just done, the starter began staying stuck on again. Frustrated, I pushed it into the shed, perhaps 20 feet away. The next day I hooked up the battery, and it the problem had vanished-AGAIN (like the first time) So, its possible, even likely perhaps, that your problem still exists, but only SEEMED to be repaired because in the process of fixing the most obvious cause, whatever else is ACTUALLY the cause magically fixed itself temporarily as it did twice for me, and at least one other person on this forum. Sadly, as much as I love this bike,  it has bled me dry for long enough, and I can't afford to repair it every couple of months. So as soon as it's fixed, I am selling it!!  😢

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 11:49:48 PM »
Knock on wood, my problem has not reared it's ugly head since the solenoid and battery were replaced. I agree, it can be very frustrating to fix this kind of intermittent electrical problem.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 05:58:21 PM »
About 6 weeks ago, my GV started acting funny and then broke down...Can anyone tell me what is REALLY wrong?

The problem is lazy human nature.  Many scooters sit unused and are not properly maintained.  Carb clogs and then it does not get gas and won't start.  Instead of cleaning the carburetor and replacing the gas and maybe replacing an old battery the owner cranks and cranks and cranks the starter until the solenoid starts to melt inside and/or starter gets damaged.  They are designed to crank ans start - not be hooked up to a car and cranked endlessly.

I saw a neighbor doing it with an old 1980 diesel dump truck hooked up to charger / jump starter.  Cranking for 30 to 45 seconds! over and over.  While his moron handyman mechanic "worked" on the problem by spraying starting fluid.  I told him you'll burn out the starter doing that. If it doesn't start fix the problem.  The he sold it and the buyer brought out a real mechanic and it was up and running in an hour and it was driving away.  But a lot of life was taken off the starter and possibly the solenoid as a result of my neighbors stupidity. 

The fault is NOT the relay.  Never had a relay go bad in any 2, 3 or 4 wheeler or car.  My car is 20 years old and I have never replaced a relay. 

Lazy morons sit and crank the relay (starter solenoid) until it melts or get damaged to the point where it sometimes "sticks" which causes the motor to keep cranking. 

Keep things running half way decent and you will never have this problem you will just read about other people having it and shake your head like I do.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()