Author Topic: 02 Kymco ZX50 Super Fever No Spark  (Read 4101 times)

madhatter4119

• View Profile
02 Kymco ZX50 Super Fever No Spark
« on: May 28, 2016, 02:05:06 AM »

I recently got an 02 ZX50 Super Fever with 1254 miles on it...I was told it ran when it was put in the shed...Been in the shed about 2 1/2 yrs...I clean and flush the gas tank and gave the carb a good cleaning...after putting it all back together and putting a fully charged new battery in it...Holding the brake I tried to start it...It cranks real good...But I'm not getting any spark at the plug...I used a new spark plug to
test for spark..NOTHING...Completely dead...I'm not real good with electrical work...Not knowing the correct name of parts and never worked
on a scooter before...Please Please explain in detail what I need to do...I need to figure out how to get the spark plug out...it looks like it may
be a pain in the rear to get out...I did get the cap off to put a new plug in the cap to test for spark...the scooter is in great looking condition...
very clean scooter for an 02 with only a little over 1,200 miles on it...Thanks all...hope its an easy fix ???????????? Harry (MadHatter)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 02 Kymco ZX50 Super Fever No Spark
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 02:08:03 PM »
Have you checked the"run/stop switch" on the right handlebar?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

madhatter4119

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »

Yea...I checked the switch the best way I know how...How do you check them...???  Thanks

madhatter4119

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:29:00 AM »

I was out fooling with this scooter today...The coil appears to be ok...I'm not one that likes to buy a bunch of parts and switch them out...I like to know what is bad and replace it...Can someone please explain the starting process to me...What's up with pulling on the rear (left) brake handle to get the engine to turn over...Also, even if my kill switch is in the " OFF " position and I pull on the left brake handle the engine will turn over...I thought if the kill switch is in the off position...it would prevent the engine from turning over...Should the kill switch in the off position prevent it from turning over or will it just prevent spark...??? I really need to get this thing running for the old lady...Being 67 yrs old and in poor health here lately...I can't stay out in the heat long...Surely someone will chime in to give a helping hand soon...? Are there any
other forum I should try that have good electrical guys available...????   Thanks

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 02:49:19 AM »
on my scoot, with the kill switch off, it will still turn over but not fire....
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 03:28:20 AM »
To make sure you are getting spark. try fireing the scoot with the plug hanging in the coil and look for a good spark.
If not replace the coil. if the scoot sat to long part of the coil might be dry roded .or the inside rusty...........

madhatter4119

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:22:27 AM »

As stated above...I used a new spark plug grounded to the engine to look for spark...Also , both the primary and secondary tested good on the coil...I even unscrewed the cap and cut the wire back 1/4" or so...even though it looked fine...no rust or corrosion...I was happy to see the kill switch is working normal...It kills the spark in the off position...it doesn't prevent the engine from cranking...My gut tells me its something simple...I was wondering why this scooter doesn't appear to have a solenoid...It has some type of relay that sets over the battery...could this relay prevent spark if it was bad or malfunctioning...????  Who is the forum's electrical guru...???  Thanks

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
Should be simple, a sensor or trigger/points,  maybe a computer or ignition control box, and coil right?
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 11:49:33 AM »
Ok now its sounding more like the cdi box. I have seen a few scoots spark befor but the cdi box was still bad. Or the elec. relay is bad. 

madhatter4119

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 04:20:55 PM »

Well...I got a lot of could be this or it could be that...But nothing on how to test these
could be....YouTube here I come...I want to find the part that is preventing spark and replace it or cut my loses...Figuring out to test these parts with a volt meter is the hardest part...Can't find a video with a clear picture of the correct setting they are putting the meter on...I have a El Cheapo Meter from WalMart or Flea Market...Wish me luck...Lol

madhatter4119

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 02:22:01 PM »

Really could use some help here...

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 04:11:57 PM »
I would except I know nothing about these basic scooters. Googling No Spark Scooter came up with a bunch of stuff but I have no idea what applies to yours.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

madhatter4119

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 12:30:53 AM »

I have used Google and I don't know what applies to mine either...I cleaned the fuel delivery system and put a new battery in it expecting it to fire up...when it didn't I
discovered it had no spark at the plug...With only 1200+ miles on it...I'm lost when it comes to electrical issues...Thanks

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 04:51:33 AM »
According to a service manual I found online here's a list of possible problems. Here's the link to the PDF of the service manual. There is a wiring diagram. Based on hear say I'd guess CDI box but hopefully you can find this of use.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.49ccscoot.com/manuals/Kymco_ZX_Service_Manual.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjRkPH1gIbNAhVQxmMKHaJDA5oQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNEQ9ff4j643F4k9-NhPayP2Rop9Gg

Faulty  spark plug
Fouled spark plug
Faulty  CDI unit
Faulty  A.C. generator
Broken or shorted ignition coil
Broken or shorted exciter coil
Faulty ignition switch
'14 White MyRoad 700i

madhatter4119

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »

Thanks for the link...I have that manual and seen the list of possible issues...What I notice with that list...It does not have the Run/Kill switch on that list...In fact, the manual doesn't have a wiring diagram for the switch or the bike itself in it...Yet, the switch can prevent a Non Spark issue...I want to by-pass this switch so it provides spark whenever the key is turned on but I can't seem to find what color wires run the switch...I need to figure out how to get the plastic off the handle bar so I can get to the switch...I thought that one of the bigger connectors up front has the switch wire in it...but not knowing which wires run to the switch...I can't jump the wires there...but getting the top plastic off the bars is stopping me from getting to the switch...Like they say...If its not one thing...it's another...If anyone can help me getting the plastic off the handle bars so I can get to the switch or knows another way to by-pass the Run/Kill switch at a another connection or what color the switch wires are...Please share...Once I find out if its the Run/Kill switch that is prevent spark at the plug...I'll order a new one or install a toggle switch somewhere...Thanks All

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()