Author Topic: Kymco UXV 450 tree kickers/ nerf bars...  (Read 4112 times)

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
Kymco UXV 450 tree kickers/ nerf bars...
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:46:19 PM »
I have had a couple people ask me if I was planning to make some tree kickes/ nerf bars for the Kymco UXV 450. Just trying to get a feel of the market. Yall think it would be a good idea? Id like to have some input.

OFF ROAD BODY ARMOR LLC.

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Kymco UXV 450 tree kickers/ nerf bars...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 12:26:23 AM »
   For us old duffers that are out of sync with todays modern terms, what are tree kickers? Where would the nerf bars go?  I might be interested if I knew for sure what the hell they did....

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 02:01:14 AM »
Tree kickers are somewhat like running boards. They protect the sides of the vehicle in case you brush up against a stump or tree so you dont scratch or damage the side of your UTV. Just google the term and youll see lots of examples.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 11:03:46 PM »
   OK thanks for the reply, I thought I was right on the nerf bars but never heard the term tree kickers,  I see that makes more sense now...
Who says your to old to learn something every day???   Yes I might be interested in a pair of those, let us know what you have in mind and how will they be attached.. Thanks

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 03:39:21 PM »
There are mounting points underneath the sides if the utv. They will just attach there. I'll see if I can get a prototype worked up soon so you can see it.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 05:39:54 PM »
    Can I assume the skid plates will be removed or modified? I remove them frequently to access the underside for maintanence so I would not want to have to remove the tree shakers each time I want to service the machine.

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 12:55:37 AM »
I'd like to see a pic of what you have in mind. I like the idea of nerd bars!
Let me know when you get a prototype.
I am extremely happy with the rear bumper I purchased from you.
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 02:17:56 AM »
Thanks coach! Im hoping by next weekend I can have some made up and painted so I can take pics. So stay tuned!

Airshot- they are going to be mounted with the same 3 screws on the underside that you use to take your skid plates off. Unfortunately that is the only way to mount them, but should be quick and painless. Although I do believe I will need some bigger screws to hold them on better which shouldnt be a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:26:15 AM by Driemeyer25 »

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 02:27:17 PM »
   I would be concerned using the skid plate screws as a mount, however, some larger screws or even bolts would sound stronger. I had to design and build my own brackets for my plow mount and found the frame material to be quite thick in the cross members. I was able to drill and tap those for a 5/16 (8mm) bolt and had enough threads for a real good bite.  Do you think 3 will be strong enough?

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »
So I have a prototype made and I put the three bigger self tapping screws in which screws into the frame and it was strong enough to hold me (220lbs)
I plan to get them finished and powder coated this week and will have pictures soon.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
   I can't wait to see them, if they look as good as the brush gards you should have a winner. Please add a pic of how they are attached if you would, thanks.

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 02:50:44 PM »
Absolutely! thanks airshot! Your constructive criticism and suggestions are always welcome here. Thats the only way to make a product the best is having others input. And it seems like you have the wisdom.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 07:08:33 PM »
   Thanks for the kind words, I never mean to criticize only try to give real world experience so if anyone has thought me to be critical I apologize. I have been a toolmaker for more than 48yrs, trying to retire but company keeps wanting me there so I just work a couple days a week. I am quite sure your welding skills are far greater than mine and mabey your electrical skills as well. I am known as "sparky short circuit" around the shop, I do not do welding or electrical except for my hobby use only and I won't brag about it.  However when it comes to material strengths and design strengths that is my area of expertise. In regards to your tree skids or whatever you call them, I would just be a bit concerned about self threading fasteners. Yes there are some really good ones out there at a $, but many think of inexpensive easy to screw in self tapping screws such as the ones that hold the skid plates on the machine and those I would be concerned about.

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 07:48:29 PM »
My family has been doing business since 1928 selling Allis Chalmers, Kubota and now Kymco for the past ten years. At our shop we have considered alternatives to mounting the rock sliders/tree kickers and there are other costly alternatives at the inconvenience of customers that want to put them on themselves though. I think it might be different if this machine was like an Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000 or a Polaris Rzr that they really abuse. but just for a utility vehicle for someone that uses it to hunt or does light offroading, I think the self tapping screws should suffice. Like you said the frames on these Kymcos are pretty thick and strong so I'm not a bit concerned about then stripping out.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:54:37 PM by Driemeyer25 »

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 10:58:05 PM »
   Well being in the trade I am, we tend to overkill and build things like tanks. You are probably correct in your thinking, these types of machines are not designed to be used in severe off road riding so your ideas will probably be fine. However for us old farts that need things built like a tank it would be quite simple to drill and tap for machine bolts like I have done with some of the other skid plat screws. Can't wait to see what they look like!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()