Author Topic: How to remove side body panels on a People GT300i??  (Read 4107 times)

coolpeople

• View Profile
How to remove side body panels on a People GT300i??
« on: May 26, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »
I've got a starter issue on my People GT300i. Unfortunately it's intermittent happening about 10% of attempted starts, so hard to isolate and pinpoint the issue. The Kymco dealer recommended a new starter relay, so rather than being stranded somewhere and calling AAA for a tow, I'm going to buy the $40 new part. I want to install it myself to save $30 and because I like working on the bike.

Having done extensive work on a Chinese bike, I thought I'd be up to the job. But the Kymco service manuals suck. I have both the printed one from Cyclepedia and a PDF from kymcousa.com. They're about the same. Lacking, vague and sometimes useless.

The starter relay is located on the right side of the bike just below the front of the seat. To access it I have to remove the body panels. I got these items off: trunk, rear carrier rack, seat bucket, seat and rear access panel above the brake light assembly. The videos are posted on youtube: https://youtu.be/9pshlsBuQqA , etc.

Then when I got to the body panels, I got stuck. I couldn't get the rear splash guard off, and that's where I stopped filming.

Is there anyone who has done this and who can walk me through step-by-step on how to remove the body panels so I can access the starter relay? Thanks in advance for your help. I searched this forum and also youtube for answers, but found nothing specific to the GT300i.
Current ride 2012 Kymco People GT 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove side body panels on a People GT300i??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »
We are not ignoring you! I don't think many of us have had those panels off. I had to remove that after section to install a trailer converter but I don't specifically recall how I did it! What I do remember is it looks like you are on the right track with removing the seat and tub, trunk and rack and that's where I blank out. Just recalled the pax foot rests have to come off. There may be two 10 mm nuts at the back and the front have some kind of blades and hooks that plug into the floor board.

How do you know it is the start relay/solenoid that is the problem? Could also be the start switch, left and right brake switches, too.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »

coolpeople

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 09:17:25 PM »
Thanks crossbolt and tortoise! I like to shoot videos to help out other who have questions.

Actually, after some more testing, turns out the start problem is in the left brake light switch. I was finally able to track it down by testing the brake light illumination on EVERY attempted start. I had a feeling it wasn't the starter relay, so I kept testing. Now the dealer has THAT part on order.

But still having problems with getting the plastics off. I went to take the rear handlebar cover/instrument cluster off, got all the fasteners off + mirrors off, then was stumped when it came to disconnecting the tabs that mate the front/rear handlebar covers. I poked with screwdrivers, etc, tried prying, twisting, etc but no go.

Will those tools you mentioned be of assistance?

Thanks, guys, for responding.

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 02:37:14 AM »
It's the back part of the headset that comes off.  I did a thread on it a couple years ago.

fest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »
@ coolpeople
Thanks for the videos I appreciate the effort.
When I am looking to resolve similar puzzle I ask myself how did they put it together. Also check this guys channel on youtube you might find something useful. https://www.youtube.com/user/mitchsscooterstuff/videos

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 10:08:34 AM »
Thanks crossbolt and tortoise! I like to shoot videos to help out other who have questions.

Actually, after some more testing, turns out the start problem is in the left brake lig  ht switch. I was finally able to track it down by testing the brake light illumination on EVERY attempted start. I had a feeling it wasn't the starter relay, so I kept testing. Now the dealer has THAT part on order.

But still having problems with getting the plastics off. I went to take the rear handlebar cover/instrument cluster off, got all the fasteners off + mirrors off, then was stumped when it came to disconnecting the tabs that mate the front/rear handlebar covers. I poked with screwdrivers, etc, tried prying, twisting, etc but no go.

Will those tools you mentioned be of assistance?

Thanks, guys, for responding.
As to the handlebar cover... the 'tool' that I found to be helpful to ease the clips open on my LIKE200I was a round pizza cutter. Lift panel with cutter and squeeze other panel and separate. Thin cake knife also works.....spreads out the prying force to prevent panel from chipping.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

coolpeople

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 12:32:18 AM »
As to the handlebar cover... the 'tool' that I found to be helpful to ease the clips open on my LIKE200I was a round pizza cutter. Lift panel with cutter and squeeze other panel and separate. Thin cake knife also works.....spreads out the prying force to prevent panel from chipping.
Stig

I had the need to replace my GT300's headlight bulb. The pizza cutter was miraculous and works like a charm to separate the mated plastic panels, in this case rear/front handle bar covers. Get the heavy duty Faberware jumbo-pizza cutter and not the flimsy Walmart brand cutter. Careful with the tabs though. I broke one off on the bottom the rear handle bar cover. No biggie. Still have the screws to keep it in place.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 01:06:21 AM »
I had the need to replace my GT300's headlight bulb. The pizza cutter was miraculous and works like a charm to separate the mated plastic panels, in this case rear/front handle bar covers. Get the heavy duty Faberware jumbo-pizza cutter and not the flimsy Walmart brand cutter. Careful with the tabs though. I broke one off on the bottom the rear handle bar cover. No biggie. Still have the screws to keep it in place.

Great !!
Presently trying to patent the "Chrome Rotating Scooter Disc Panel Tool" . My People have been talking with the  Revzilla/Partzilla People.
Been shopping 4 season rooms for when the royalties start coming in.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 10:44:51 PM »
Went out group riding , construction holdup and could not start.   Intermittent for a bit then no start.   Had an aha moment and used the right / front brake and it started.   Replaced the switch, look hard and make sure you order the correct one, I had the bad one in my hand and matched it to photos.

I use an old cement/garden trowel (very smooth edge) and some plastic spoon thingamajigs.  Probably can find some in grocery or Walmart stores.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()