Author Topic: All black bike and gear  (Read 2082 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
All black bike and gear
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:41:39 AM »
Rode to my coffee village just before sunrise yesterday.
1/2 later a young fellow rode in on a new all black HD....wearing all black gear.
Pretty bike.
I sit at table outside....yellow from head to hips....he stared at me after inspecting the Burgman. ..made eye contact and gave me a thumbs up and a nod. Nice youngster...riding early too...quiet pipes.
Just wished he had a bit more visibility on the road.
I'd never preach ....but if asked I'd certainly promote the idea of hi viz for riders.
50's HD rider kia last week...locally.  Small pickup turned L across his path. "Laid his bike down and slid into truck"  Wearing helmet. 
No hi viz...no ABS...not able to stay upright and braking to scrub off speed....according to friend in sheriffs dept.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: All black bike and gear
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:13:30 AM »
The social phenomenon of all black has a fascination with many people even when good sense screams otherwise. Too bad for some.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 07:27:21 AM »
 Totally agree with hi-viz gear. Since the scoots aren't very loud, I like to make myself seen, if not heard!!! Most drivers are aware, but some will just look right at you and figure that they have the protection of an auto and we will concede.I keep my head on a swivel, no matter what I'm wearing

- Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:00:44 PM »
I wouldn't buy a dark coloured scooter, I insist on ABS and always wear a white helmet.
The harley which went down probably did so due to a locked wheel(s).

forkintheroad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 05:55:22 PM »
My new helmet (arriving tomorrow) is that high viz yellow/green they put on safety vests. Ugly, but getting seen is nice. My previous helmet that saved my life a couple of weeks ago was a candy apple red. Time for an even brighter one.

The agility is orange and while it does have a black milk crate lashed to the rear deck, the crate has plenty of reflectors all over it.

Flat black looks nice on stuff that's sitting still and is meant to sit still.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 06:02:13 AM »
My scooter is white and I wear a jacket and helmet that contains red as I noticed that the two colors together stand out pretty well during the daytime.  My open face helmet is red with a white centre stripe.   At night I have a yellow hi viz vest to wear over the jacket.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 11:54:36 AM »
My first scooter was all black. I picked out a brown riding jacket with a loud orange vertical stripe next to a reflective one. My (current) helmet is black with back LED lights and additional reflective tape as well. A friend asked me why I just did go all black with my gear.

I told him I didn't want to look like a Power Ranger, but really it was so I wouldn't blend in with the scooter, and the background road. Someone once told me that the danger of wearing all black gear is at its worse if you're thrown from your bike at night. If you're on the ground, alive, but unconscious, there's a good chance someone
can still run you over.

- Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()