Author Topic: battery light  (Read 2975 times)

Emlynt

• View Profile
battery light
« on: May 21, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »
I have just bought a 500i and when I turn my lights on the battery light comes on, I have checked the battery and it is fully charged any ideas

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: battery light
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 06:29:16 AM »
Nice buy. Enjoy your ride.
It could be  a short, but probably more likely a bad battery.
Had the bike been standing for  a while?
Any history on the bike?
You don't say anything about starting or if you can ride with the battery light on.
All / more info will help us to help you.
Do the dashboard lights go dim when you put on the main beams?
If so, and you replace the battery,and the symptoms persist ,then  checking things like regulator might be in order.
Looking forward to a positive result.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 07:08:52 AM »
I'd put a voltmeter on the battery and check the voltage with it running and lights on.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:23:29 PM »
I'd put a voltmeter on the battery and check the voltage with it running and lights on.

I second this.  I had the same issue 2x on my 2005 gv250.  first time was a loose bolt on the relay.  Second time I unplugged coil, spark plug at the coil end and cleaned and applied dielectric grease.  No more battery light (for now).  19.5K miles.
PaulC

Emlynt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 06:48:59 AM »
Nothing dims when I turn on lights but I'll put a voltmeter on to check if the battery is holding charge. Had a problem when lights were on and tried to start bike so as you said could be the battery. Love the bike even in a built up city like London it flies through the traffic one of the better decisions I've made buying a Kymco and thanks for all the help

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »
Nothing dims when I turn on lights but I'll put a voltmeter on to check if the battery is holding charge. Had a problem when lights were on and tried to start bike so as you said could be the battery. Love the bike even in a built up city like London it flies through the traffic one of the better decisions I've made buying a Kymco and thanks for all the help

At idle ~ 1800 rpms my 2005 GV250 reads about 14 to 14.5v.  I would expect your voltage from the alternator will be fine.  Don't forget to test the batter with the scooter off after it has sat for a few hours.  Should ideally read 12.5v but can often be less.  Next turn on the key so the headlights come on but don't start the engine and retest.  Mine falls to between 12.1 to 12.3 which is low but it still starts ok.  If the battery is below 12 it should be charged and restested.  If it still can offer more than 12.0 it should be replaced as cranking with a low batter is hard on the starter.

report results and yes the GV cranks out respectable horsepower and torque that will leave 150cc and small scooters in the dust while also delivering good balance for tight spots in traffic.  Don't forget to ALWAYS fold in the electric mirrors.  They will not wear out and it protects them from a fall or person walking into them.  Online they cost like $120? each + shipping.
PaulC

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 02:36:20 PM »
What kind of voltages are you getting with:
Bike off
Bike idle
Key on not started

I believe the light comes on when it gets below 11v. To me that is too low of a warning for the Xciting 500.
Wayne

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 05:15:38 PM »
I wish the battery light would come on INSTANTLY whenever the "generator " was not working like it does in most cars because by the time the battery voltage drops low enough to turn the light on, you have very little reserve. I had a day old battery. And I had less than 5 minutes from the time the light came on until the scooter shut off from low voltage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »
I wish the battery light would come on INSTANTLY whenever the "generator " was not working like it does in most cars because by the time the battery voltage drops low enough to turn the light on, you have very little reserve. I had a day old battery. And I had less than 5 minutes from the time the light came on until the scooter shut off from low voltage.

I agree.  Many times I am disappointed in cost-cutting in stupid ways that goes on with all non-cars - motorcycles, scooters, etc.

In your case it sounds your stator is not putting out any voltage - if it was that scooter would continue to run as long as the motor was running.  Once it stopped if the battery was the problem you would not be able to restart it.  So you must check the battery voltage with a volt meter and report back.

The amount of time depends on the battery's reserve capacity.  Your scooter should run much longer than 5 min off the battery if it is in good condition and fully charged I would expect maybe 30 minutes??  Once you resolve the charging issue - loose wire, fuse, damaged stator? You won't have any issues.
PaulC

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but most bikes don't charge at idle so the light would be coming on all the time. Don't forget the rectifier/regulator is what controls the charging.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 07:56:05 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but most bikes don't charge at idle so the light would be coming on all the time. Don't forget the rectifier/regulator is what controls the charging.
Actually they do, it's just not enough to replenish the battery. It's no different than cars, especially the older ones. But the system was wired in such a way as to be able to detect whether the alternator was functioning even at idle.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 08:06:10 AM »
I agree.  Many times I am disappointed in cost-cutting in stupid ways that goes on with all non-cars - motorcycles, scooters, etc.

In your case it sounds your stator is not putting out any voltage - if it was that scooter would continue to run as long as the motor was running.  Once it stopped if the battery was the problem you would not be able to restart it.  So you must check the battery voltage with a volt meter and report back.

The amount of time depends on the battery's reserve capacity.  Your scooter should run much longer than 5 min off the battery if it is in good condition and fully charged I would expect maybe 30 minutes??  Once you resolve the charging issue - loose wire, fuse, damaged stator? You won't have any issues.
This happened two weeks ago. It was indeed the stator. I replaced it a week ago. It's doing fine now.I'm not certain when it had stopped charging because I had driven 20 miles, stopped for a moment, then restarted and drove another 5-10 minutes max. The light was NOT  on when I restarted it. But evidently came on shortly afterward. I pulled into a gas station and noticed it. So rather than stopping, I decided to try to make it home. But it shut down as I was pulling out of the parking lot.

2009 Xciting 250

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »
Great that you got it sorted.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()