Author Topic: Helmet Cams  (Read 6111 times)

mnpugdog

• View Profile
Re: Helmet Cams
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 05:29:45 PM »
Not sure if it makes a difference but I have my cam mounted on top of my helmet. maybe mounting it on the side it would pick upp you talking.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 08:12:35 PM »
One of the things I’ll be experimenting with is the placement and position of the camera. Too high on my helmet and it will give it a high angle security cam feel to the footage. I’d like something maybe below the eye line. Maybe shoulder level. Ideally, having multiple cams would be the way to go, but that’s only if I can get another one from the equipment room in the department I teach in.

- Wolf

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 09:08:50 PM »
I have a chest mount for mountain biking. I have found it to be ideal for first person videos.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 11:03:38 PM »
I have a chest mount for mountain biking. I have found it to be ideal for first person videos.

And having that behind the wind screen might make it easier to talk with the action too and hear it.

Not just the wind as you drive

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 02:39:28 AM »
Good suggestions. I wasn’t sure if there were real chest mounts, or if it was something people jury rigged. Another thing for me to look into.

- Wolf

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 05:02:20 AM »
thats the one advantage to Go Pro is they have a ton of different mounts to pick from

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 01:01:54 AM »
I’ve seen a lot of them. I take it that they only fit GoPro cameras, unless there are adaptors out there.

- Wolf

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 03:40:55 AM »
I do a fair amount of riding, and I am beginning to think a dash cam is a good idea.  I think might get a little more respect when people realize they are being recorded.

Doing some web research, I came across Tachyon BikerCam Motorcycle Camera System.  Anyone familiar with this one.  Has good reviews on Amazon, I read them all.

I used a borrowed GoPro Hero mounted to my helmet once, was not real user friendly IMO, and definitely larger than I would like.  So probably not interested in GoPro Hero system.

The GoPro Hero Session looks cool, small size, and appears price competitive with Tachyon BikerCam.  Has a bunch of reviews on Amazon, will be doing some reading, and report back.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
been using the Mobius Action Cam
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 02:15:03 PM »
for a couple of seasons now.
It is 1080P and cost about $80. US, if I remember correctly.
It is much smaller than a GoPro.
Have not used in low light conditions because I don`t ride in those conditions anymore.
Satisfied with the camera.
Have a couple vids posted on this website.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:25:26 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 09:51:51 PM »
Hey Chaz,

Does the Tachyon shoot still images, photoburst, or time-lapse? Ive been looking at some of the Sony Helmet cams, along with the GoPro's
but I'll add your choice to my research as well.

- Wolf

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 11:24:52 PM »
Hello ScooterWolf, you know I am not sure.  Main selling points are small size, ease of use.  I think mainly video, recorded in 15 minute sections, then overwrites existing video when memory is full, approx 8 hours as I recall.  So, Tachyon very good for dash cam.

I did read a lot of Hero Sessions reviews on Amazon and think it's not for me.  Sessions compared to Tachyon: battery life rather short (less than 2 hours) and Tachyon can be set-up to run continuous from your scoots battery.

I saw some good info on Sony, so plan to research Sony a little more.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »
Thanks Chaz. I agree the GoPro's battery is too short. Good for short trips, like when I commute to work, but not much beyond. Also, nothing really good for connecting to your helmet unless you have a specialized accessory, or you attach it to your visor.

I do like the image quality. Here some pics from a film I'm working on. Both images need to be color corrected.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
Swolf, I take it you are using GoPro?, which one?  My son-n-law is loaded with GoPro, but probably too expensive for me.  Cheers

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2016, 12:58:11 AM »
I been checking out a GoPRo Hero 3 Black edition from the equipment room from the film department where I teach. Couldn't check anything out this weekend as someone else needed it. They are expensive, which is why I'm just checking them out, but I still want a helmet cam of my own.

- Wolf

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2016, 04:07:16 PM »
Pulled the trigger. Just ordered the Drift Ghost S camera and accessory kit from Amazon. Real excited, but hope it gets here before my trip to Canada on the 20th. Amazon said it (with free shipping) would arrive between the 15-20th. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Additionally, I will be gearing my bike with two GoPro cameras (both from the universities where I teach -- freebies!) both mounted on either side of the DT at various angles. My logistical planning stage is now about battery life, battery numbers, as well as SD cards. I'm also hoping my school equipment room will have a good mic to connect to the Drift Ghost as well.

Planning stage is nearly complete. Have checked off the following:

Annual tune up
New brake pads
New tires
Oil changed
Faulty left front turn signal replaced
Helmet visor and rear LED helmet light replaced
Large Cargo duffel bag
Cargo netting
Duck construction pants (may get knee pads for wearing under them too)

Need to do:

New phone card for track phone
List and map of motorcycle service stations along travel route
Decide on additional tools to bring

- Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()