Author Topic: 06' Mongoose 250 upgrades, To do or not to do that is the question!  (Read 2709 times)

bosox5150

• View Profile
      So I have an 06' Mongoose 250 & I am trying to decide to put $ into it or sell it & move on. My issue is this, my son (11) is the main rider and is stepping up his ability's. We live in Florida where the terrain is 90% sugar sand and the 250 doesn't have the lower end needed to ride through it. My thoughts are this, I can either invest a few grand and keep him on it for a few more years or dump it and look for something else. My concern is if I choose the upgrades what if it still doesn't do what I need! :o I was thinking a Nakura 78mm Big bore kit,  cam upgrade with clutch & suspension mods. Currently I have an aftermarket slip on pipe & aluminum airbox with a mesh screen lid & a K&N filter. So my question is this, has anyone done the big bore kit & cam upgrade and will it really make the difference I'm looking for? I read one rider claiming the 250 bored will beat stock 300's, but is that enough? If I move on then unfortunately I would be looking to stay with an automatic for a few more years since he doesn't want to shift. I love kymco but availability will decide what I get. I would look for a sport quad or cross over like the maxxer 450i or a dvx 500, scrambler 500 or If I hit the lotto a Can Am Xc800. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated? ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:46:54 AM by bosox5150 »

xsel777

• View Profile
When I read your post, I see references to up to 800.

Obviously the 250 is totally not in the same ball park, no  matter what upgrades you do.

From my perusing of the scooter forums,  2 strokes seem to give the best performance increases.

If you are very diy, and there can be bonding with your son with the performance parts upgrades, go  for it.

Personally, that is  a lot of work, and one cannot hit the trails while rebuilding.

IMHO, in conclusion, rather get a Kymco mxu450,  as there are lots of references here on this forum, of how awesome they are.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:34:32 AM by xsel777 »
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()